Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think it's bizarre that one semi finalist gets 24 hours longer to recover in such a compressed tournament. The semis should really either be on the same day, or there should be at least a week between semis and finals. 

Really good semi final though, one of the better games in the tournament. 

Everything about this tournament is bizarre. At least England get to play at home for every game bar one. And at a conveniently increased attendance capacity for the semi and potential final.

Nothing or something but all 4 semi-final teams got to play all their 3 group stage games at home so didn't have to travel.

• Like 2

The semi final thing is normal, too big a show case to limit it to one day 

Copa is exactly the same, so is the world cup 

Its still 3 full days for the team that plays 2nd, the recovery period shouldn't be an excuse 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

After watching every game in the tournament I think England would have struggled more against Spain than Italy. This is because of how Spain deprive you of the ball.

They dominated Italy last night even though Italy came back in to it especially on the counter.

I think England have a better chance against Italy because they won't control the ball like Spain do. Italy might have more possession than England but not like Spain would have.

Spain like Germany are lacking a top class striker.

But England doesn't want the ball in the first place. 

Spain play with a high line. That’s exactly what England wants so they can spam long balls behind the defense for their pacy wingers to run into. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think it's bizarre that one semi finalist gets 24 hours longer to recover in such a compressed tournament. The semis should really either be on the same day, or there should be at least a week between semis and finals. 

Really good semi final though, one of the better games in the tournament. 

Its bizarre that in most groups in the first round 3 out of the 4 get through but hey that makes more money.

Wait til you see the 46 team world cup from 2026.

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

After watching every game in the tournament I think England would have struggled more against Spain than Italy. This is because of how Spain deprive you of the ball.

They dominated Italy last night even though Italy came back in to it especially on the counter.

I think England have a better chance against Italy because they won't control the ball like Spain do. Italy might have more possession than England but not like Spain would have.

I agree with this, and said as much last night during the game. *If* England get to the final, Italy are likely to let us have more of the ball, much like Germany but with much better pressing. On the whole, I think you'd rather face an opponent who are less likely to force you to change the entire style of play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rino8 said:

Saka back in, Sancho out. Same team as Ukraine apparently.

Was hoping he'd go Grealish/Foden, but expected as much. Looking more and more like Grealish only started his one game due to Mount's isolation. Would've expected his performance off the bench against Germany to have earnt him a start ahead of Sancho/Saka - but apparently not.

Can't argue with the results so far though. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No team leak for this one?? 

Talk of Saka coming back in for Sancho, don't understand that at all.

People acting like Sancho is some inexperienced kid when he's played in more big games for Dortmund in last 3 years than most of England attackers. England career been underwhelming so far but he played well enough on Saturday.

Foden and Grealish must be wondering what they have to do, you can see why both have been left out as they are more attack minded and that obviously goes against Southgate's cautious approach.

Edited by AVFCDAN

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Talk of Saka coming back in for Sancho, don't understand that at all.

People acting like Sancho is some inexperienced kid when he's played in more big games for Dortmund in last 3 years than most of England attackers. England career been underwhelming so far but he played well enough on Saturday.

Saka looked to offer far more than Sancho based on their appearances so far, so I think dropping Saka back in is fully justified. In a 4-0 win, Sancho hardly got involved other than that little run towards the end of the first half that lead to nothing. He was our least effective forward player.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Foden and Grealish must be wondering what they have to do, you can see why both have been left out as they are more attack minded and that obviously goes against Southgate's cautious approach.

I don't think it's to do with a more cautious approach, it's about having players in the channels who don't want to necessarily have the ball played into them, but more down the line/over the top.  I don't necessarily agree with it, but Southgate has been very consistent in picking those type of players.

The time he needed to change it up as it wasn't working (Germany), he went with a different approach and brought Grealish on.  We all know the rest.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

i think we'll see jack and probably foden tonight

we saw last night, teams are starting to get knackered. imagine a tired danish defence seeing jack come on

Â