James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

39 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Van Dijk, Mane, Oxlade, Shaw, Schneiderlin (when he was good), Hojberg, Wanyama, Lallana and most importantly of all....Matt Targett!

They could've easily gotten into Europe.

They did though, knocked out before the group stage in 15-16.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I said quite a lot last season that I think Doug and McGinn were having to try and do the job of a 3 man midfield once Barkley gave up and we didn't have Jack either.  If we add Ward-Prowse I think you'll see Doug and McGinn return to their best (with Marv covering the start of the season for Doug) and we also have Sanson plus the youngsters.  JWP would be a great signing, I'd probably go up to £40m to get it done, maybe more with add-ons for stuff like England appearances or we get European football.

I doubt we will have a midfield of McGinn, Luiz and JWP if he comes. We are already going to have to make room for Ings which is either going to mean one goes wide out of him and Ollie or one plays behind the other. Dependant if Emi plays the 10 role and Bailey plays right. I think if JWP does come in one of Dougie or Marv will go. 

We've also got Ramsey and Chuk  in there also. There is going to be some serious compo this year imo. Something we haven't had for quite a while. A new CDM/CM is vital though I think. Someone next level 

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, allani said:

But do they take free kicks from the same side of the pitch?  I thought (but could well be wrong!) Bailey was left footed and JWP right footed?  If so then the one thing better than a good free kick taker, is a good free kick taker on the right side of the penalty box and an equally good free kick taker on the left side of the penalty box.  It also means that it will be a bitch for keepers to set up a wall for more central free kicks because you need to prepare for the ball curling either way depending on who actually hits it.

That’s actually a very good point.

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I said quite a lot last season that I think Doug and McGinn were having to try and do the job of a 3 man midfield once Barkley gave up and we didn't have Jack either.  If we add Ward-Prowse I think you'll see Doug and McGinn return to their best (with Marv covering the start of the season for Doug) and we also have Sanson plus the youngsters.  JWP would be a great signing, I'd probably go up to £40m to get it done, maybe more with add-ons for stuff like England appearances or we get European football.

Agree, I also think Sanson will add a lot to this midfield once he gets fit, he has great stats and an eye for goal, his game has a lot of defensive work in it. 

I think these players we are considering are going to offer alternative formations as we were one dimensional last season, and when at home or away, or easier teams or harder teams: I can see Tuenzebe as a starter in a 3-5-2 with maybe cash and Young as the wing backs here. I can see loads of variations with our new additions, I don’t see them all playing together necessarily.

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It's the Coutinho situation.

You've sold a top player, everyone knows you have money and you're going after someone tied into a long term deal and is the jewel in the crown of his team

You will have to pay through the nose for this transfer to come off.

Do we want to do that for James Ward Prowse?

I mean, I like him. He's decent on the ball his free kicks are the best in Europe in my opinion. He has a lovely strike on him.

- but honestly I think his passing in open play is just above average, he's very lightweight and not athletically blessed. He is what he is at the stage of his career. I don't see him going another level.

I don't think it makes sense on any level to break the bank for this guy. I'd like to see him in a Villa shirt but it makes no sense. He would definitely be an upgrade on what we have - but it would take 50m- 60m I would presume. Is he a £60m step up on what we have?

Not for me. He's a decent improvement.

I think that JWP is a great player and support the idea that we try and get him, but you have made some really good points here and you’ve made me rethink how much he is worth.. £35M max?

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

No JWP for them today. They’ve got relegation written all over them

Wasn’t there a report last week saying he’d picked up a knee injury?

i think the player that will be bench if JWP signs wont be Luiz.. it will be Mcginn. And regarding the Luiz vs JWP stats, i think JWP can rack up better stats with better players and coaching/tactics around him. So we might see an even better JWP here plus the elite dead ball ability of course 😉

2 minutes ago, Shay said:

i think the player that will be bench if JWP signs wont be Luiz.. it will be Mcginn. And regarding the Luiz vs JWP stats, i think JWP can rack up better stats with better players and coaching/tactics around him. So we might see an even better JWP here plus the elite dead ball ability of course 😉

DS rarely leaves Mcginn out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

McGinn isn't getting dropped. If anyone will it will be Luiz. McGinn is a Smith type player. Tenacious

Not a chance. If we see the same Mcginn from last season, no way isnt he getting dropped. Luiz is the only safe one for me now (unless we get a new no.6 like Anguissa or Bissouma).

He will rotate with Nakamba in the no.6 role, while Mcginn,Sanson and (if he signs) JWP will compete to start in the B2B role. Granted Sanson’s not ready now but once he does he has every chance to take that spot.

Alternatively, we may play with two holding midfielder i.e. JWP and Luiz and one attacking mid i.e. Sanson? (not sure if he can play that role), Buendia or even Ings. Bottom line is, there’ll be alot of options in midfield for Dean.

51 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

McGinn isn't getting dropped. If anyone will it will be Luiz. McGinn is a Smith type player. Tenacious

McGinn was our best player in the first half yesterday, looked sharp, strong and energetic. If we can spring JWP then for me he plays as the deepest of a midfield 3, (if not a traditional 6) with McGinn/Sanson and Buendia. 

If Deano sets up with either Watkins or Ings instead of both, then Buendia goes into the front 3 and JWP plays with McGinn and Sanson - probably a better mix against stronger teams, imo 

Â