Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Notable that PSG and Bayern are the two clubs that are least affected by huge debts of the biggest clubs.

They're not quite so desperate as to have to be involved.

Levy, Woodward, Venkatesham, Soriano, Laurence and Peter Moore should all be banned by UEFA from all football activities permanently off the back of this.

Given that both Barca and Real get €321.8m tv money (roughly 1/3 of the income for 50 clubs) and still racked up huge debts, they could easily sell their respective 4 fixutres for double that. It would make the bubble even bigger and encourage further debt.

Ban them all tbh. How can you trust them when they've been plotting behind the scenes like this?

• Like 1

Apparently City are part of the group but haven't ratified - keeping a foot in both camps.

What does 'ratified' mean here? I doubt anything has happened that can't and won't be rowed back on in the next 24 hours, as usual.

These aren't sporting decisions - competitive versus guaranteed huge incomes isn't a contest that they spend a lot of time worrying about. They'd be guaranteed a share of a third of the ownership as a founder team, then a share of the next third based on merit, then a bit more based on which of the brands brings most to the league. It's barely sport.

But it will ultimately erode income I think as soon as the order becomes set in stone. Competition is the essence of sport.  As soon as the sport becomes pointless people wl switch off and the money trap will dry up. 

At least the Americans understand that point although they have the luxury of being able to isolate their sports.  But they understand one or 2 clubs dominating is ultimately not a good thing. 

Gary Neville is class. He's trashing every one of these 'big' clubs. There's nothing big about trying to keep the money in your own bank when you're not entitled to it.

Guaranteed income is not a good thing for sports.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

But it will ultimately erode income I think as soon as the order becomes set in stone. Competition is the essence of sport.  As soon as the sport becomes pointless people wl switch off and the money trap will dry up. 

At least the Americans understand that point although they have the luxury of being able to isolate their sports.  But they understand one or 2 clubs dominating is ultimately not a good thing. 

I guess the thing for these clubs is that none of those clubs would become uncompetitive - within the bubble of that league, the income is spread and the spending is controlled - no one can come in from outside with a load of cash and upset things - they don't have to worry about a new PSG or a new City or Newcastle getting their deal with the Saudi's, they just won't invite Newcastle.

Meanwhile, the twelve founder teams become both rich and profitable and can stay competitive because the playing field within the bubble is controlled.

Ban all players at these clubs from taking part in WC's Euro's and everything else that is FIFA/UEFA sanctioned. Men and women.

It will totally rip football apart but since we are going that route anyway who cares. Players will go where the money is and in time they will start hosting their own World Championship of Soccer featuring commercial breaks and sponsored VAR challenges and All Star Games.

• Like 2

What happens to the clubs if JP Morgan pulls the £4-6bn plug due to a Covid variant prolonging the pandemic? Who's gonna want to watch AC Milan v Spurs for the 8th time with nothing at stake and FIFA FUT-like squads. It's an unsubstainable pipe dream built on nothing but sheer greed.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I have no idea. 😬

Yeah, I've seen it used elsewhere too, but I'm skeptical that anything legally-binding has been put in place by mid-afternoon Sunday when we're told there has been frenzied telephone calls during the weekend. As I say - and I'll stop repeating myself because I'm sure I'm getting boring - this is likely to unravel in the next 24 hours, as we get a parade of chastened Woodward-type figures reassuring the world that it's all just a big misunderstanding (ie, exactly what they were up to in October when this stuff was last Definitely Going To Happen).

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I've seen it used elsewhere too, but I'm skeptical that anything legally-binding has been put in place by mid-afternoon Sunday when we're told there has been frenzied telephone calls during the weekend. As I say - and I'll stop repeating myself because I'm sure I'm getting boring - this is likely to unravel in the next 24 hours, as we get a parade of chastened Woodward-type figures reassuring the world that it's all just a big misunderstanding (ie, exactly what they were up to in October when this stuff was last Definitely Going To Happen).

I think they're suggesting that they're named in the letter of intent as a club that will be part of the group but they haven't signed the letter.

Maybe.

• Like 1

Â