Breakaway League

Jareth

There's a very simple fix for our league for this. Bring in Scottish football and replace the 6 we lost with Northern Irish and Scottish teams, and enroll these teams and leagues within the PL league system.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 3

Just now, magnkarl said:

UEFA confirming that players will be denied playing for their countries. It's turning into the NHL.

It may fall completely flat and eventually only attract ‘veterans’ and has-beens who have no chance of international football.

it’d be nothing more than a glorified exhibition league where no game really means anything or has anything riding on it. 

These "big clubs" have run themselves into hundreds of millions of pounds of debt in order to stay ahead of everyone else.

Now they want to destroy football so they don't go bust.

If FIFA, UEFA and all the domestic leagues combine they can stop this. Fans largely won't want it because it'll mean they'll be playing the same teams every week.

Keep your eyes out for troll bots all over the internet who argue for the super league. They need to get some fans onside before taking a plunge like this.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with Gary Neville, but it's an absolute disgrace and the teams should be punished. Arsenal can't even beat Fulham for god sake, how are they super in anyway whatsoever. Glad to hear The Premier League and other domestic leagues already condemning it, believe they've already stated that any player playing in such a league wouldn't be allowed to play for their International teams but more must be done. 

It's just greed. 

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

UEFA confirming that players will be denied playing for their countries. It's turning into the NHL.

The Americanisation of European football was always the plan for many of these US owners.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Assuring to hear that most fans are so universally against this.

Will be very difficult to pull this off if these money hungry people don't have the support from the actual fans.

They don’t care about ‘local’ fans when they can only fit 60k in their stadiums but can reach x millions sat in their armchairs around the world being milked  dry. 

Scum.

If they do it, here’s my prediction of what would happen. Football fans turn their back on it. A handful of European 13-20 year olds might still watch it because it’s al about ballerz. The overwhelming viewership and money comes from China and the Middle East. Not sure after that. Where will the most money be? Where will the players prefer to go?

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Aren't UEFA going to rig the Champions League in favour of these clubs anyway? 

They're just about to to try and stop this yes.

Having seen the reaction this has got, the clubs have shown their hand so Uefa should hold off.

They don't want a bigger share of some of the money. They want all of it, and they want it now.

Having pulled the cork out of the bottle and been met with a very firm "go f*** yourselves", it's going to be very difficult for these clubs to just brush this off and try to creep back to business as usual - especially at a time where they're making big demands on changes to business as usual in their favour. They're out in the open and if they have to go backwards, then I think they're going to take a real beating somewhere along the line.

This isn't going to be easily forgotten or forgiven.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

They don’t care about ‘local’ fans when they can only fit 60k in their stadiums but can reach x millions sat in their armchairs around the world being milked  dry. 

The subscription model will be sold to Asia, the Middle East, North America, all the big markets. JP Morgan don't care about the average fan, just who can get the biggest audience share. Football as spectacle, not competition. Forever repeats of the 'biggest teams go head-to-head'. The WWE of football with its own network etc.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

The cynical part of me reckons it's being used to make the Champions League reform seem more palatable when really there doesn't seem to be that much difference to what this league would look like.

Yep, classic move there. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Having pulled the cork out of the bottle and been met with a very firm "go f*** yourselves", it's going to be very difficult for these clubs to just brush this off and try to creep back to business as usual - especially at a time where they're making big demands on changes to business as usual in their favour. They're out in the open and if they have to go backwards, then I think they're going to take a real beating somewhere along the line.

First good step will be for UEFA to stop all these crap changes.

If anything spread the money thinner. Do the opposite to what these big clubs want.

• Like 2

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

And not for the first time either. Look how quickly Liverpool and Spurs backed away from a similar thing a year ago.

Both clubs had the nerve to use furlough too until it became too toxic for their PR.

I hate them. I hate them immensely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

The cynical part of me reckons it's being used to make the Champions League reform seem more palatable when really there doesn't seem to be that much difference to what this league would look like.

I think that's 100% exactly what's happening.

• Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

The subscription model will be sold to Asia, the Middle East, North America, all the big markets. JP Morgan don't care about the average fan, just who can get the biggest audience share. Football as spectacle, not competition. Forever repeats of the 'biggest teams go head-to-head'. The WWE of football with its own network etc.

You’re completely right and it’d only be one step away from being rigged entirely just like wrasslin’ with faux rivalries created. 

Â