Breakaway League

Jareth

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They must have a TV deal ready to go or it's pointless. Amazon or a Facebook perhaps? Could be the start of football heading quickly towards streaming.

JP Morgan are ready to start them off with a $6bn grant which the clubs would share.

They don't need a TV deal, it'll be PPV on MUTV. Not through Sky or BT.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think that the biggest issue from this sort of thinking is that it is dull - you cannot remove the drama from sport and expect people to buy it - other than in the US

Liverpool vs Spurs or Liverpool vs Marseille will never have the same impact as Liverpool vs Everton for example

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

They must have a TV deal ready to go or it's pointless. Amazon or a Facebook perhaps? Could be the start of football heading quickly towards streaming.

If they don't, they're idiots. Not many platforms have money to chuck round at the moment.

FIFA or even the PL might have to step in and say if you play in this, you're out of all our comps.

I was thinking that they must sense the next PL and probably Champions League TV deals not being as lucrative post-pandemic.  It's very well the likes us saying good riddance and **** off but we would take massive hit if it happened.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was thinking that they must sense the next PL and probably Champions League TV deals not being as lucrative post-pandemic.  It's very well the likes us saying good riddance and **** off but we would take massive hit if it happened.

It's a battle for the soul of football - I expect everyone to tell the owners who have cooked this up, to **** off.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We also need fans every to understand the villains at the heart of this movement.

They won’t because the majority of fans support the teams who stand to benefit from it and will just call other fans ‘salty’ (and use that awful GIF of Mbappé ‘crying’) for daring to complain.

They’re as thick as mince.

• Like 1

Kinda funny.

Arsenal really been a mid table team for the past 2 seasons yet they are included in this so called "big six"

Let them go though. As long as that means they'll be kicked out of the PL. Wouldn't miss them very much.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, His Name Is Death said:

They won’t because the majority of fans support the teams who stand to benefit from it and will just call other fans ‘salty’ (and use that awful GIF of Mbappé ‘crying’) for daring to complain.

They’re as thick as mince.

But there is very little benefit from the plan, only negatives - I think they'll dislike it 

Please let this happen. Would be interesting to see the fall out especially if FIFA / UEFA etc go in hard. Also, it's a great time to have the Euros and a WC in the next 18 months 👀

Edited by villarule123

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The TV deal is appalling too - each team would have the right to put four games on their own platform - so no money shared out, no money into prize money, just the money from those games going directly and only to the broadcast club.

It will very quickly descend into farce. Will Arsenal be happy when they are the whipping boys coming last every year not being able to compete against the clubs with even more online fans. 

As soon as you allocate the money purely on money the size of the club itself generates the whole thing will just stagnate.  I mean you know broadly whose going to win or at least compete to win now other than the odd anomaly. It will just become more and more polarised. 

ESPN reported that JP Morgan was willing to loan the participating clubs £4bn. If 15 of the 20 teams stay, with 5 invited. You'd need not worry about other tournaments again. It would close the door on football for everyone else.

Edited by The_Steve

Notable that PSG and Bayern are the two clubs that are least affected by huge debts of the biggest clubs.

They're not quite so desperate as to have to be involved.

Levy, Woodward, Venkatesham, Soriano, Laurence and Peter Moore should all be banned by UEFA from all football activities permanently off the back of this.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

It will very quickly descend into farce. Will Arsenal be happy when they are the whipping boys coming last every year not being able to compete against the clubs with even more online fans.  

These aren't sporting decisions - competitive versus guaranteed huge incomes isn't a contest that they spend a lot of time worrying about. They'd be guaranteed a share of a third of the ownership as a founder team, then a share of the next third based on merit, then a bit more based on which of the brands brings most to the league. It's barely sport.

Just now, will87 said:

Its the American owners trying to make football like their shitty fixed domestic sports leagues, it will fail miserably.

100% this. They are not fans of the sport, just businessmen - I believe it will meet a fan led reaction like no other.

Â