Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Big problem, as it has been for 2 years, is not having a top class DM. Luiz simply isnt good enough (and should be sold tbh) and we've looked worse under gerrard since Nakamba got injured. I've got nothing against Digne, and he's an improvement on Targett, but we would have been better off prioritising getting a DM rather than upgrading LB in January

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Absolutely they were but how many of their players tonight would make our squad?

They were a significantly better team than us. We were mostly a collection of individuals. That's on the manager.

I hope we improve but I need more convincing that Gerrard's gonna be the real deal.

Exactly.

If he can't get a tune of players who are mostly internationals or borderline internationals - where do we go from here ?

A major rebuild in the summer ? - certainly the defence looks an issue - but buying better than we have will be damm expensive.  Feel sure than any of defenders would get another prem club with ease.  I don't think it's the personnel.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Purslow signed Ings without need don't forget. He saw the FFP wiggle room and got far too excited.

I don't rate our recruitment particularly highly at the moment. Really hope the summer isn't more 30m 28 year olds on more money than Aston Villa have ever paid anyone. It won't end well, and that's not hard to see.

People have gotten too panicky about recent signings IMO. Ings is the only head scratcher. Bailey and Buendia both young and hungry. Coutinho absolute no brainer in the circumstances. Young an easy decision for some much needed dressing room experience and wisdom. Digne also a no brainer - would usually cost so much more but fell out with Benitez.

I don’t think our policy has changed at all, we’ve just taken great opportunities that you can’t turn down. We can’t ONLY sign young players. 

For me Ings has been the only signing that seems to fall completely outside of what we are now about. And the thing is I think we all felt at the time that it was a weird one. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Funnily you laughed the other day about Lacazette but this is what Gerrard/Purslow type they will sign 

I said before its MON 2.0

Why do you think that?

I'll be worried we'll be drawn into relegation battles if we sign the likes of Lacazette.

They can't possibly be rated as good value by anyone with eyes.

We have once chance to join the elite, and it's these owners. They lose interest and it's over.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Time to get watkins out the team. Deserves to be dropped. Looks like a championship player at the moment

I would rathee stick bailey up front than have watkins there. He is so easy to defend against at the moment. 

Seriously though what has Bailey done that people keep saying this? Just get it done and let him flop so don't have to keep reading this

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Seriously though what has Bailey done that people keep saying this? Just get it done and let him flop so don't have to keep reading this

Give the guy a chance. He has been injured for most the season. Geez

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Did we win? Did we play well? Did we even deserve a point? No to all three IMO.

I don't care who scores. I want the team playing well and ideally winning.

Bringing old players in on big money means you must succeed now. Otherwise what's the point? Play some/invest in some younger players and build, while spending less money.

If the plan is to do a MON and keep buying overpriced players on big deals, I don't need to tell you where we'll end up.

Lange needs to do his job this summer and make sure we have a rounded squad, not one only suited to only this very narrow, unique formation.

You've totally missed the point lol.

The players on " monstrous money " you are referring to, are 2 out of a 25 man squad.

1 of them has directly been involved in multiple goals and assists since joining.

Well so has Digne.

The players who have been letting us down are the lesser players we have had with us in/from The Championship. Namely the defense/midfield ( Which they tried to and want to address ), is what let us down. If we had a Bissouma type on " monstrous money " yesterday we probably run away with that match.

So I've got no clue how it's the " old players on monstrous contracts " who are the issue here.

You make it sound as if we've signed 7 top tier old men on massive wages and we are failing. Lol

Hence why I'm saying, if we go by that logic coupled with the facts, MORE players on bigger money would probably see us do better in other areas of the pitch ( Using this logic ).

I still don't get how the 2 players you are referring to have any bearing on any sort of result. Lol

And yes, we played VERY well in patches, I don't see how we score three top class goals if we didn't .

We also weren't playing against ourselves, the other team played a part in the match as well.

One of the reasons we scored those high class goals, was Philip Coutinho, an acquisition on " monstrous money ".

There is a reason most neutrals thought it was a brilliant match.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Give the guy a chance. He has been injured for most the season. Geez

Bert has excellent career record at CF. Geez give him a chance

Bailey has looked pretty abject in 425 mins bar the Everton cameo and for several on here he's CF saviour over Watkins Ings even Bert after a game we scored 3 in 1st half and drew because of horror show performance from Konsa... and Mings for first goal

Makes total sense

Edited by Kiwivillan

I've given up on this season now. We ship goals for fun and looking at the goals we gave away to Brentford, United and now Leeds. Until we solve midfield and add a new CB to compete properly with Konsa/Mings we are going to throw away football matches regularly. 

We'll end somewhere mid table and have rage inducing games along the way, shipping goals like a bunch of clowns

49 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Bert has excellent career record at CF. Geez give him a chance

Bailey has looked pretty abject in 425 mins bar the Everton cameo and for several on here he's CF saviour over Watkins Ings even Bert after a game we scored 3 in 1st half and drew because of horror show performance from Konsa... and Mings for first goal

Makes total sense

425 minutes and your writing him off 😂

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I'm writing off people saying he should play CF and that was clearly obvious from my post

You have never seen him play at cf at villa. He has all that attributes to be a great striker here. Pace, a good footballing brain and can finish 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You have never seen him play at cf at villa. He has all that attributes to be a great striker here. Pace, a good footballing brain and can finish 

He's never played CF in his career unlike Watkins Ings Bert. Why should Bailey go CF over Bert who had 0.3 goals per 90 last season behind Watkins 0.4 and Bert was playing wide? This is not post saying Bert should start up front but sure as hell has pedigree in career at that position. Bailey yet another in long line of Villa players in this forum that get better the longer they don't play

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's never played CF in his career unlike Watkins Ings Bert. Why should Bailey go CF over Bert who had 0.3 goals per 90 last season behind Watkins 0.4? Bailey yet another in long line of Villa players in this forum that get better the longer they don't play

I havent said im opposed to traore playing up front either, but your point is why should bailey and you seem to have written him off already. Did you write buendia off when he struggled at the start?

Watkins has been useless most of the season. Falling over, poor finishing, runs into brick walls,easy to defend against and even his pressing is poor compared to last season 

I think everyone knows how he likes to play now with full backs providing width and the two 8s covering them in transition. The problem last night was that McGinn and Ramsey didn't seem to be providing much cover and the defence got overwhelmed. I thought our discipline in general was lacking last night and that's why it ended up being so open and frentic. 

• Like 2

Â