Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d say 10 would still be a decent return.

I am not sure I would take that and either would Gerrard. Leeds, Newcastle, Watford and Brighton we should be aiming for comfortable wins. Southampton is a bit of a bogey side for us but are beatable

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's an excellent evaluation of AC Milan and I think it's very similar to the way we're set up and want to play. It's interesting to see the way they did it without a big central defensive midfield destroyer and I do wonder if the urgency the fans have to bring one in is matched by the management team. I think if we do go for one, they'll want one that can play first and foremost.

I think Bissouma can play.

I think the urgency you talk about, is more to do with stopping conceding and aiding the defensive part of the team...If a non- "big central defensive midfield destroyer" can do it....that will suffice.

its all about the end game.....defending our goal with aplomb.

If the present personnel can do it, why waste our money at all?

We must remember, AC Milan are one example, who did it well.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, a m ole said:

How is control defined? possession, which is just proportion of passes made in those areas?

It will be minutes on the ball. Presumably that’s why every team on that list has control of their opponents corner squares, the ball would be sitting in their possession for long periods when taking corners while defending fullbacks would get it up the field quickly from there. 

• Like 1

Good video that and you can understand what Gerrard wants from a full back better from what they say about Trent. He wants full backs to be primarily attacking players and thus attacking attributes are more important than defensive ones. The midfield is there to take on a lot of the defensive aspects 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, a m ole said:

How is control defined? possession, which is just proportion of passes made in those areas?

Any formulation like this, can be sceptical....but the overall picture, looks feasible to me.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Good video that and you can understand what Gerrard wants from a full back better from what they say about Trent. He wants full backs to be primarily attacking players and thus attacking attributes are more important than defensive ones. The midfield is there to take on a lot of the defensive aspects 

That's a choice the manager makes....but under such circumstances the midfield has to be able to defend as you have quite rightly pointed out.

My scepticism says can they? when they are predominately offensive minded players.

I think we leave too much to do by the centre backs.....

I am just hoping, he has been working with the midfield, to negate my doubts.

I am looking forward to the summer, to bring in defensive minded reinforcements.

• Like 1

I think if you had a midfield of Luiz, Bissouma, McGinn. You would have enough defensively there to cover attacking fullbacks. If one of the 8s gets forward then the remaining 2 midfielders shuffle across to cover. 

It's early days in Gerrard's time as manager. We'll see new players signed for how he wants us to play and a full pre season to work on things. I also feel he won't waste the break for the World Cup either. Albeit we'll have probably like 6 or so players at the tournament.

It'll be interesting if we reverse the Loans and send more players out before the World Cup and then get them back for Gerrard camp 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

good video and fair reflection....well explained.

A roast of Sports Interactive too! 

I must admit I have been resistant in the past to picking up terms like Mezzala, and Enganche. I’m kind of just getting there now, and everyone is trying to simplify it again! 

My adaptability stat is about a 5 or 6

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

A roast of Sports Interactive too! 

I must admit I have been resistant in the past to picking up terms like Mezzala, and Enganche. I’m kind of just getting there now, and everyone is trying to simplify it again! 

My adaptability stat is about a 5 or 6

It really is a simple game, made complicated by some, who prefer it that way.

There is also much contradiction in the game, where managers prefer to play one way versus another....No one has a monopoly on this, because so many different formations over the years, have won the top prizes.

There is no right or wrong way, there is no fool proof set up.....The objective is to score more goals than the opponent, what can be more simple.

However, like most sports, you have to out perform the opponent.....and that takes many attributes/disciplines to perform.

my missus said..."ooooh you are 3-1 up..."

I said...."yeah dont worry we can find a way to f*** it up and concede two, no problem at all, it'll be classic Villa".

Is it more sickening that it happened, or more sickening that you can see it coming from a mile off?

We have some seriously brain dead / weak minded players.

Hopefully Gerrard knows exactly who needs replacing, cus tbh, its a few of em.

Edited by MaVilla

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Nicely put.

But if we need better players than Konsa/Ming's/Martinez - we are going to need one hell of a budget.

There's teams in the division with lesser players who defend better as a unit 

We aren't getting a better keeper than emi no matter how much money we have. One of the top 5 keepers in the world. 

• Like 1

Â