Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Emery needs a lot of time. If he can prove he knows what he’s doing tactically (which he where Gerrard failed), we need to give him time to gut the whole squad. There’s hardly any players I’d be upset to lose. 

• Like 1

Watching Arsenal, William Saliba another example of a player written off that has come good. Thus not concerned about our squad. They just need a coach and system to revitalize them.  Coutinho might be the one exception as think his game is not suited for today's Premier League.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spoony said:

Emery needs a lot of time. If he can prove he knows what he’s doing tactically (which he where Gerrard failed), we need to give him time to gut the whole squad. There’s hardly any players I’d be upset to lose. 

Just Martinez?

Hoping the WC break is enough for Emery to breakdown all the bad habits Gerrard has instilled into this squad. Not that I’m expecting miracles though.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

38 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Watching Arsenal, William Saliba another example of a player written off that has come good. Thus not concerned about our squad. They just need a coach and system to revitalize them.  Coutinho might be the one exception as think his game is not suited for today's Premier League.

William Saliba is 21 he just needed time to develop out on loan. I would like to see something similar happening here down the line with Finn Azaz.

• Like 1

I think we have a decent team but we struggle to get the best 11 on the pitch in a formation that works! 

For me our best 11 (ignoring injuries) is Martinez Cash Carlos Mings Digne Luiz Kamara Bailey Ings Watkins Buendia. But I don’t see a formation that works for that team. 

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Saliba was signed for nearly 30 million as a teenager though, his treatment was actually a bit strange from arteta but it’s paid off now. I do agree though the difference Emery could make to our current squad could be huge 

4 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Watching Arsenal, William Saliba another example of a player written off that has come good. 

One that Emery signed for Arsenal (which may have been mentioned a million times already, I'm catching up on the thread).

• Like 1

He has to somehow get some of our players firing to another level.

Cash, Watkins, Ings, Ramsey have all gone backwards, but they might not actually be able to improve much.

Luiz, Buendia, Bailey are all young enough i feel they can be coached to their potential.

McGinn, Nakamba, Mings, Konsa, Digne, Coutinho might be deployed better and get some confidence back.

But I think our team whilst by no means weak, it is not capable of even being comfortably mid table.

If he can reverse the losing mentality and crumbling under adversity which was more than prevelant under both Dean and Gerrard (and vs Barcodes) then we could at least become 'difficult to beat' with this squad and get a few more draws away from home.

But until he gets us some natural width and pace in attack and a striker who can score goals every week, then we will continue to struggle become anything more than lower table.

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Will there be a meltdown on here when we set up with a 4-4-2 vs Man Utd? 

Depends on the instructions to the players have I guess. We only really have Bailey as a out and out natural wide player so might not be ideal. 

If he makes any formation work then I don't think anyone should really care specifically what it is.

The 4-4-2 Villarreal sometimes played also wasn't a conventional one and kind of became a 4-3-3 in a sense, as one of the 2 (Danjuma) would pull wide left and the left-sided midfielder was often a central player like Lo Celso that would then move inside. It was obviously something he identified would work for the personnel he had as he hadn't much of a track record for playing it previously, so however he chooses to have Villa play will likely be based on what he feels is the best to get the most from the options he has. Which makes a change from the past year...

• Like 1

It's funny in that I have no idea how we're going to line up come Sunday. You can see with Newcastle that they were loss in terms of patterns of play and identifying weaknesses. Howe had them targeting diagonals to our fullbacks (particularly Young) and getting easy isolations - bypassing the compactness of our midfield.

Type of things that separate the Danks and Unai's of the world. Danks might have picked the right formation to get our best XI on the pitch, but it's harder against a team that comes more prepared once they saw how Villa rolled Brentford. For me - it'll be tough against United because these Ten Hag team's are attacking the flanks and using back post crosses that Young and Cash will find tough to defend.

At least this thread will be revived with Unai in terms of actual tactics instead of just picking which XI should be playing and in what formation.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

It's funny in that I have no idea how we're going to line up come Sunday. You can see with Newcastle that they were loss in terms of patterns of play and identifying weaknesses. Howe had them targeting diagonals to our fullbacks (particularly Young) and getting easy isolations - bypassing the compactness of our midfield.

Type of things that separate the Danks and Unai's of the world. Danks might have picked the right formation to get our best XI on the pitch, but it's harder against a team that comes more prepared once they saw how Villa rolled Brentford. For me - it'll be tough against United because these Ten Hag team's are attacking the flanks and using back post crosses that Young and Cash will find tough to defend.

At least this thread will be revived with Unai in terms of actual tactics instead of just picking which XI should be playing and in what formation.

I could see, what Newcastle were trying do....so you would think a professional coach could, assistant or not.....The long balls were aimed at Young, and they was still getting around us.

I hope, above all else, some of the things mentioned, like coaching and tactics, is all thats wrong....but,I have my doubts...I think its that, and more.

We have been failing at the back post, particularly in air, for ages, its nothing new.....We have no height in there, for one, and get bullied off the ball...its like taking candy from a baby.

I am not expecting too much too soon, because his options will be limited, in to what he changes....too many players, too similar.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I could see, what Newcastle were trying do....so you would think a professional coach could, assistant or not.....The long balls were aimed at Young, and they was still getting around us.

I hope, above all else, some of the things mentioned, like coaching and tactics, is all thats wrong....but,I have my doubts...I think its that, and more.

We have been failing at the back post, particularly in air, for ages, its nothing new.....We have no height in there, for one, and get bullied off the ball...its like taking candy from a baby.

I am not expecting too much too soon, because his options will be limited, in to what he changes....too many players, too similar.

Plenty of teams have small players at fullbacks not getting beat at the back post. It's a combination of set piece organizations as well as recognition/communication between the keeper/back line.

Somewhere around where ROK left, Villa forgot how to defend in consistent patterns and shifts when penned back and against set pieces. One of the key things that should be coached rather early on is that the Villa defensive line should really be pushing up (the last line should be at the top of the 18) to not only compress the final third against the opponent but to also allow Martinez to use his frame to come and claim the ball with the additional space. We did that well in the lockdown season but have drifted into old ways again - letting teams camp shop in the box and allowing the freedom of the danger areas on the flanks to cross to the back post. You can camp the box if you have a back 4 of tall players, but we don't regularly employ that.

And it is one thing identifying what to do, but another to have the guts to make the decision on what to change. Villa should have at that point shifted into more of a back 5 with Dendocker dropping into the line and Buendia lining up closer to Luiz with ings pressing Longstaff. This would allow both Young and Cash to more aggressively go wide to defend these diagonals. But little things like that - changing shape in-game, identifying and reacting is what separates the run of the mill (Dean Smith and Gerrard and Danks a tier lower) from the elite levels (Pep, Arteta, etc)

Newcastle were content to bypass the midfield so the reaction should be to empty the midfield, regain superiority in numbers on the flanks, and force Newcastle to cut through with intricate passes, and continue the chess match until a moment of quality happens. But Danks kept the same shape and you saw the results as Newcastle simply went around us instead of trying to play through.

It should be noted that a horrible tendency started when Gerrard came on in that the wingers, or whoever you call your wide forwards don't track the opposing fullbacks. It leads to a lot of the 2v1s you saw continuously over the past year. It happened again with Bailey and Watkins (who is not known for being lazy) jogging back to track the fullbacks. Things you don't typically see in Unai Emery teams so it'll be interesting to watch the application of the wide players in defense for Villa as it has caused them lots of problems.

Edited by DJBOB

15 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Plenty of teams have small players at fullbacks not getting beat at the back post. It's a combination of set piece organizations as well as recognition/communication between the keeper/back line.

Somewhere around where ROK left, Villa forgot how to defend in consistent patterns and shifts when penned back and against set pieces. One of the key things that should be coached rather early on is that the Villa defensive line should really be pushing up (the last line should be at the top of the 18) to not only compress the final third against the opponent but to also allow Martinez to use his frame to come and claim the ball with the additional space. We did that well in the lockdown season but have drifted into old ways again - letting teams camp shop in the box and allowing the freedom of the danger areas on the flanks to cross to the back post. You can camp the box if you have a back 4 of tall players, but we don't regularly employ that.

And it is one thing identifying what to do, but another to have the guts to make the decision on what to change. Villa should have at that point shifted into more of a back 5 with Dendocker dropping into the line and Buendia lining up closer to Luiz with ings pressing Longstaff. This would allow both Young and Cash to more aggressively go wide to defend these diagonals. But little things like that - changing shape in-game, identifying and reacting is what separates the run of the mill (Dean Smith and Gerrard and Danks a tier lower) from the elite levels (Pep, Arteta, etc)

Newcastle were content to bypass the midfield so the reaction should be to empty the midfield, regain superiority in numbers on the flanks, and force Newcastle to cut through with intricate passes, and continue the chess match until a moment of quality happens. But Danks kept the same shape and you saw the results as Newcastle simply went around us instead of trying to play through.

Yeah, it just baffles me, that you and me can see that, layman fans....yet professional coaches can't, see it.....I am not a fan of small defenders, but hey ho.....I know they exist and some can be very good, its just that opposing teams, target them in the air.

I accept, that tricky, complex, intricacies, are liable to be with the elite coaches, but we are talking basics here....stuff your average fan will pick up.

Have we been trusting too many, posing as coaches, or is it deeper than that....I am genuinely, perplexed.

Edited by TRO

Â