Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

UE has not got it wrong 

Squad is depleted. Our squad isn't deep enough 

so it's down to tactics, when we win......and energy when we lose....is that it?

just asking?

Edited by TRO

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

For sure, a great result.

and with all that in mind.....what do you think is causing us to be so off it, in the last few games?

How do you account for such a drop off in form.....has UE now got it wrong?

There's not really much more he can do.

If you squint, you could say - maybe trust some of the youth more. Starting Tim. Duran instead of Watkins. Maybe some of the other academy players. - KKH, Kellyman, etc.

But it's not as if he's against starting youth. Morgan Rogers went in right away and he can't have trained much after the transfer window. JJ was a key piece to his team last year. If he doesn't think Tim's ready, then Tim's not ready. And honestly, he has hardly taken the game by the scruff when he's come on. Same with the others.

Watkins, McGinn, Luiz, and Konsa are close to clearing 4,000 minutes in incredibly high pressure situations.

Everyone else is half-fit at most. Pau (and Konsa) are clearly carrying around knocks that inhibit their movement. ACL injuries well documented. There are almost no other midfielders, either in the center or in the wide positions. There are no other fullbacks (with Moreno just back and still a shadow of himself from last year).

So when people ask - what's wrong? I'm a bit mystified as it's clear what's wrong.

The tank is empty and the corpses of the Villa squad are trying to get over the line as best they can.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TRO said:

so it's down to tactics, when we win......and energy when we lose....is that it?

just asking?

I mean honestly you're being facetious there.

Because no amount of tactics can solve an injury and fitness crisis.

If you look at the squad that played against arsenal, there's already 3 players that missed out on against Brighton (Zaniolo, Tielemans, and eventually Rogers) - and the Arsenal squad was already paper thin. All 3 of those players were immense against Arsenal as well.

So, to say, well wow - I guess Unai got the tactics wrong against Brighton is really silly.

Edited by DJBOB

20 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

There's not really much more he can do.

If you squint, you could say - maybe trust some of the youth more. Starting Tim. Duran instead of Watkins. Maybe some of the other academy players. - KKH, Kellyman, etc.

But it's not as if he's against starting youth. Morgan Rogers went in right away and he can't have trained much after the transfer window. JJ was a key piece to his team last year. If he doesn't think Tim's ready, then Tim's not ready. And honestly, he has hardly taken the game by the scruff when he's come on. Same with the others.

Watkins, McGinn, Luiz, and Konsa are close to clearing 4,000 minutes in incredibly high pressure situations.

Everyone else is half-fit at most. Pau (and Konsa) are clearly carrying around knocks that inhibit their movement. ACL injuries well documented. There are almost no other midfielders, either in the center or in the wide positions. There are no other fullbacks (with Moreno just back and still a shadow of himself from last year).

So when people ask - what's wrong? I'm a bit mystified as it's clear what's wrong.

The tank is empty and the corpses of the Villa squad are trying to get over the line as best they can.

I think its a popular opinion.....and one I have no appetite to disagree with it.....Is it clear? I guess it is if thats what your think.

It certainly looks like it to me, but the caveat is, I have no experience or expert knowledge of players energy levels....so I am reluctant to go heavy on it.

I go with the majority, and I hope they are right.

just being devils advocate......when its right and we win, against Arsenal, its down to tactics, yet they had more rest time, than we did, so energy, was not considered then....maybe because we won....just offering an alternative view.

I am not criticising anything, just fascinated, how we can play so well, and so badly, in a short space of time......I am in no way, dismissing the cruel injury list, but just interested in alternative views.

30 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I mean honestly you're being facetious there.

Because no amount of tactics can solve an injury and fitness crisis.

If you look at the squad that played against arsenal, there's already 3 players that missed out on against Brighton (Zaniolo, Tielemans, and eventually Rogers) - and the Arsenal squad was already paper thin. All 3 of those players were immense against Arsenal as well.

So, to say, well wow - I guess Unai got the tactics wrong against Brighton is really silly.

I didn't say that, nor did I imply it........I was just interested to see the different reasons given for winning or losing.

I think Unai, gets his tactics right, most times......I am merely suggesting, there was no mention of fatigue, against Arsenal after a midweek game against Lille, and that was a few weeks back, is it because we won?.....take from that what you will.

I am not attempting to be facetious, I think they are legitimate, questions, that warrant consideration.

Just recently, Unai said himself, relating to injuries......"A no excuse culture".....He also said after Olympiacos game....."Not bad luck" when asked if it was.......He has also said, the injuries, are "just an opportunity for peripheral players to show me, what they can do"

It's all positive stuff.

Many times in the past, young players have risen to the challenge, to give outstanding performances......Morgan Rogers, himself has stepped up, why not more?

I think Unai has a tricky balance to make, in the next few games, and like you, I don't see his undoubted tactical brain, always bailing us out, because its only one element of many in the game.

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

just being devils advocate......when its right and we win, against Arsenal, its down to tactics, yet they had more rest time, than we did, so energy, was not considered then....maybe because we won....just offering an alternative view.

I am not criticising anything, just fascinated, how we can play so well, and so badly, in a short space of time......I am in no way, dismissing the cruel injury list, but just interested in alternative views.

That Arsenal game was 5 games ago in fairness and since then we have lost a further 4 players to injury. You keep flogging the same players week, week out then eventually there is going to be a tipping point and it is very much looking like we have reached that point with the squad running on fumes. I do 100% believe our recent drop off is as simple as that. 

We have a first team squad that has missed a combined total of 238 games through injury this season. That is an unbelievable stat and off the back of that we have with two games to go secured top 5 and are in a major european competition semi final. It is remarkable. It is not a stretch to say that had we had just a par for the course amount of injuries we would now be competing for a top 3 finish.

There are no deep rooted issues beyond fatigue. A squad with deep rooted issues and the amount of injuries we have had doesn't finish top 5 in the toughest league in the world and make a European semi final let alone finish top 4 and reach a European final which is still very much achievable. Let's not look for something which isn't there as it does the players and manager a huge disservice.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

just asking?

No that is not it.

Stop only looking at the results. We could have done a smash and grab and got a win wouldnt have made it s better performance.

The fatigue shows in the performance levels. Just look at the bench Unai has. Only do much he can do 

31 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That Arsenal game was 5 games ago in fairness and since then we have lost a further 4 players to injury.

This. Tielemans and Rogers were the straws that broke the camel's back. Now we're down to two true midfielders. End of story.

• Like 2

Just now, TomC said:

This. Tielemans and Rogers were the straws that broke the camel's back. Now we're down to two true midfielders. End of story.

Facts

What tactical tweaks do we need for the final two league games then? I really don't think it's a good idea at all to be just playing SJM and Luiz as a two v Palace as Eze and Olise will just pull them all over the pitch.

Given we do have four CBs fit with two of them warming the bench surely one of them in emergency can slot into midfield?

Play 4-2-3-1 and we lose the last two games I fear.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What tactical tweaks do we need for the final two league games then? I really don't think it's a good idea at all to be just playing SJM and Luiz as a two v Palace as Eze and Olise will just pull them all over the pitch.

Given we do have four CBs fit with two of them warming the bench surely one of them in emergency can slot into midfield?

I'd hope by then Tielemans and Zaniolo will be available. I'd then be looking at Luiz, Tielemans, McGinn behind Zaniolo, Bailey and Watkins.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The Palace game will be irrelevant.

17 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The Palace game will be irrelevant.

Let's hope so!

That's a far tougher proposition than it was two months ago. Our record at Selhurst is historically abysmal aswell. Think it's just two wins there since the mid 90s.

Posted (edited)

With Buendia, Tielemans and Rogers all out, we really lack someone to play those 'killer' passes in the final third. Just huge misses and to have all three missing (plus Kamara, Mings, Moreno, Ramsey and Zaniolo) in our most important game for years is some awful luck.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2024 at 20:41, TomC said:

and those are more suited to attacking than defending......who is going to stop marauding opponents, every time we lose the ball?....and who is going to win it back , when we do?

I am not sure what the " true" means......for me there are 3 types of midfielder....defending, central and attacking.

I also believe, we are painfully thin on the defending versions.

Edited by TRO

That midfield of Luiz and McGinn since his return is not working not sure why a change hasn't been made teams calf through there to easy. Tim should have come in next Luiz and push McGinn up more attacking pack it up a bit considering the light numbers available. Very simple adjustment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

That midfield of Luiz and McGinn since his return is not working not sure why a change hasn't been made teams calf through there to easy. Tim should have come in next Luiz and push McGinn up more attacking pack it up a bit considering the light numbers available. Very simple adjustment.

Seems obvious to me Emery doesn't trust Tim. Be surprised if his still here next season.  

8 minutes ago, RichW said:

Seems obvious to me Emery doesn't trust Tim. Be surprised if his still here next season.  

Maybe doesn't , but if we let go Dendocker should have been a replacement come in.

Â