Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

59 minutes ago, RicRic said:

This is how i would like us to look under Unai Emery after the January window 🤝

We can attract these level of players due to having the pull of Unai too.

Buendia and Pino further forward of course but that would be an excellent line up to charge up with moving into the second stage of the season 😍

7B84165B-C6C9-47D9-BB24-DE6848FBD8A6.thumb.jpeg.3620fbc32375f5e6cbdce82a3b5b46ee.jpeg

My only issue with this is Buendia isn’t a wide player, play him on the left and he’ll be too central to be any threat on the left side 

The way I see it we have a solid squad for next season but of course we can upgrade with new, better players in any position.

Ings                                                     Archer                                                                          Wesley  Davis

Bailey Buendia  Watkins               Ramsey  Coutinho  Philogene                                   Young Nakamba  Sanson  Traore

Kamara  Luiz                              Dendoncker  Iroegbunam                                Augustinsson  Hause  Bednarek  Guilbert

Digne  Mings  Carlos  Cash       Chrisene  Konsa  Chambers  Kesler-Hayden                                         Steer

Martinez                                                Olsen

The first group is what I consider to be our best eleven when everyone is in form, the second would be our back up next season and the third would be out of contract or to sell.

Yes we have other great youth players coming through but they are not the issue here. I am just not sure where to put McGinn or Azaz. Both are good players but I just don't think they fit in a 4-2-3-1 formation ahead of the others.

With a one in, one out system, I'd be interested to see who the new manager brings in to improve an already good squad when playing like we did against Brentford.

Put out the most expensive team we have ever assembled vs Brentford. £212 million of talent started that game. When Carlos and Digne are back it will be over a quarter of a billion. Madness ! This is why a coach like Emery is needed. We cannot afford a cheque book manager. We need to raise the performance of these lot and then add real quality in 1s and 2s 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Players not good enough.

Gerrard is crap but these players are not good footballers.

Been saying it for a while. The playing staff are a problem. Recruitment has been very very bad last few windows. 

Just now, Tayls said:

Been saying it for a while. The playing staff are a problem. Recruitment has been very very bad last few windows. 

Majority of the players signed are injured. Still very much Smiths team out there.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

'Top 10 squad.'

You're all in dreamland

As has been my suspicion for quite some time. However, Emery might get quite bit more out of these lads. Worrying about all these injuries though. I fear Martinez might be out a while, and sometimes people just don’t return to normal after concussions. Thankfully it didn’t look like he went unconscious, which is good. I just hope he didn’t fracture his scull, because that was a hard knock.

I think we should played these; vs Man Utd

we should keep 4-1-2-3 / 4-2-3-1 Emery does play these in PSG and Arsenal that we drill into Emery ball in during world cup, give him more time install his system.

Emery play defensive 442 (actually more 3-3-2-1> when play narrow / 3-4-1-2 > when play wide in attack phase)

Counter Attack / Ball Carrier Running Style

--------------------------Martinez--------------------------
Cash------Chamber-----------Mings---------Digne
-------------------------Dendoncker----------------------
-------------Luiz--------------------------Ramsey---------
Ings--------------------Archer----------------------Bailey

Possession Style

Cash-----------Konsa-----------Mings---------Digne
-----------------Luiz-------------------Chamber-----------
Bailey------------------Coutinho--------------Buendia
-------------------------------Ings-------------------------------

Full Fitness / Jan Transfer  if we still use 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 system
Pace Style 

New RB------Carlos----------Mings------------Digne
-------------------------Kamara-----------------------------
-------------Luiz--------------------------Ramsey---------
Sarr/danjuma------Archer/Ings---------------Bailey

Possession Style

New RB-----------Carlos-----------Mings---------Digne
----------------Luiz-----------------------Kamara---------------
New RAM---------------New ACM--------------Buendia
-----------------------------Danjuma-------------------------------

Emery Style Pre-Jan

Cash-----------Chamber-----------Mings---------Digne
Bailey--------Dendoncker---Luiz--------Buendia
--------------------Ings------------Watkins------------------

Emery Style Post-Jan

------------------------------Martinez--------------------------
New RB-----------Carlos-----------Mings---------New LB
Bailey--------New CM-------Luiz------------Buendia
--------------------Ings------------Danjuma---------------

I think mainly reason we poor defensive is;

Actually i think we actually need we need bring Defensive coach (replace Terry) it is key problem our team defensive is poor by coach.

Attack we have there attack today but miskick by Watkins, and not much service to Ings cos Eddie been study our attack last weeks vs brentford, credit to Howes. to cut line to Ings and Tight 2 line to block shot. 

when they start counter attack they like pull defensive wide that running to channel force us tight but confused, and lack command - Mings when he is capt he is more talk and command well, today he keep it to himself, less talk, he allowed capt more talk. when Matrinez off and it is make worse hard, cos Young talk in left side hard to commucation to right side. that why i fan capt in midfield (not Mcginn, more like Luiz better choice) or Centre half as long forward and winger know what to do and play games plan.

when defensive should still talk and command line well, today bit quiet that standard.

when Martinez off and Olsen it is make worse, cos defensive not confidence in him and olsen poor command box when matrinez more active vocal line and area in box.

Trying to lay the passion and emotion to one side for a while, what have Newcastle got that we haven't in terms of the tactics etc?

Largely, is see the squads evenly matched when going player for player, maybe with the Newcastle players having more pace and/or power.

That feels a bit lazy to put it down to that, though. 

So what is the difference that is amazing them look a decent outfit and us looking a lot worse off?

18 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Largely, is see the squads evenly matched when going player for player, maybe with the Newcastle players having more pace and/or power.

I don't understand why some people keep downplaying this.

In the modern PL this is massive.

We'd probably be a very decent French or Spanish League side currently with some of these players, but to compete at the higher end of the PL they are simply not strong and dynamic enough as athletes.

By that, I don't mean  " proper men " like Grant Holt either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't understand why some people keep downplaying this.

In the modern PL this is massive.

We'd probably be a very decent French or Spanish League side currently with some of these players, but to compete at the higher end of the PL they are simply not strong and dynamic enough as athletes.

By that, I don't mean  " proper men " like Grant Holt either.

I agree with that. I think we have to build the physicality and profile of our team. We look smaller and weaker in key areas of the pitch, such as midfield and defence.

But I do think 4231 is a good system to build from now. 

• Like 2

I don't think we have the options in the squad for a 'plan B'. We can't bring anyone who will ask different questions of the opposition, like a pacey, skillful winger, mercurial creative player (2022 Coutinho doesn't count) or a big strong striker to play more direct. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 09:12, juanpabloangel18 said:

While there is clearly lots of talent within our squad below, it feels a bit like late MON to me and I think we may have a medium-term problem on our hands sorting it out. In particular too many centre-midfielders and not enough quality FBs, wingers, and possibly strikers. New manager is going to struggle to keep everyone happy.

GK

• Martinez
  • Olsen
  • Steer

FB

• Cash
  • Young
  • Digne
  • Guilbert
  • Augustinsson (loan)

CB

• Mings
  • Konsa
  • Carlos
  • Chambers
  • Feeney
  • Bednarek (loan in)
  • Hause (loan out)

MF

• Dougie
  • McGinn
  • Sanson
  • Nakamba
  • Kamara
  • Ramsey
  • Coutinho
  • Bogarde
  • Dendoncker
  • Iroegbunam (loan out)

FW

• Watkins
  • Ings
  • Bailey
  • Buendia
  • Archer
  • Davis (loan out)
  • Traore (loan out)
  • Wesley (loan out)
  • JPB (loan out)

Too many midfielders who are similar, and no strikers who can head the ball with any authority.

The mix is not right.

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think we have the options in the squad for a 'plan B'. We can't bring anyone who will ask different questions of the opposition, like a pacey, skillful winger, mercurial creative player (2022 Coutinho doesn't count) or a big strong striker to play more direct. 

ditto.

29 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Yeah going into a season with only one winger/wide forward in Bailey was criminal.  Hopefully we fix that on the first day of the transfer window.  

Â