Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree there is a a plan and there is tactics. They are just failing miserably in this league. So something needs to change right?  Whether that’s players understanding what Gerrard wants them to do or Gerrard changing his approach.

Either way we can’t go on like this. 

Where does our decent performance when playing Ings and Watkins together sit with this? Because that seems to work better. Or do we think that’s just coincidence?

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Who from our squad would get in Sky 6 teams. Kamara, Emi certainly and in the squads probably Buendia, Ramsey, Carlos, Mings, Bailey, Ings(wanted by City and Spurs last summer) even Watkins is a better forward than Rashford for example

I think the new thing is to build our players down when they are better than what we have seen

I reckon we've got a lot more players who'd plausibly be considered squad options at top 6 teams than Newcastle, Leeds and a handful of other teams. But they're all outperforming us due to having a competent coach in charge of the team

7 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Where does our decent performance when playing Ings and Watkins together sit with this? Because that seems to work better. Or do we think that’s just coincidence?

I have no idea. We seem to look a lot better when we play that way but why does he always change it?

Must play central midfielders in midfield not on the bloody wings. As soon as they were closer to Kamara we played better. 

Gerrard needs to realise his shit system is shit and making the players look really shit. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

I've been thinking about it and I think that in order to play the style of football Gerrard likes, we would need more defensive solidity. Using and relying on the fullbacks for width and attacking output doesn't work in a back 4 because it essentially becomes a back 2 when attacking.

For me, we'd be better off in a 3-5-2 

Konsa Chambers Mings

Cash Kamara Luiz Digne

Buendia Watkins Coutinho

This allows us to play Coutinho and Buendia in a formation that accomodates them, it gives us a much more solid base and it means the wing backs are covered better when going forward, less exposure. 

Obviously one of Coutinho or Buendia could make way to go 2 up top as well. 

This formation could have Ramsey or McGinn swap in for Kamara or Luiz too, add some headless chicken all-action midfielder chaos in the middle.

You're then looking at a bench with Archer, Ings and Bailey as forward options who could help both change the game and switch style / formation.

Two of the above mentioned midfielders, plus god forbid Sanson gets a nod. 

Augustinson and Young can play wing backs as cover and arguably Young suits that role more anyway. 

The only drawback I see to this, is that Gerrard hasn't played a back 3 much in his managerial career and we've got one CB out for 6 months and another just gone on loan to the championship, so we're an injury away from only having 2 CBs over 18 at the club to field. But that can be rectified before the end of the window and Kamara can play there during any crisis. 

I'm not a coach or so this could all be discredited if someone thinks I'm talking out my arse. I also think my judgement could be clouded by me thinking Potter is the second coming and he'd most likely have us in this shape if he managed us. 

I don't know why he hasn't gone for this before now to solidify us.

Martinez - Argentinian international

Cash - Polish international

Digne - French international

Mings - English international

Carlos - Brazilian international

Kamara - French international

Luiz - Brazilian international

McGinn - Scottish international

Coutinho - Brazilian international

Buendia - Argentinian international

Bailey - Jamaican international

Ings - English international

Watkins - English international

Have I missed anyone?

Surely any decent manager could get a tune out of that lot!

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Have I missed anyone?

****! Mental seeing it like that. Obviously the English lads aren’t picked anymore but still, all been capped. 

47 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Have I missed anyone?

Too many internationals! 

That’s the issue. Solved it :detect:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Have I missed anyone?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here with absolutely no research, and assume that most Premier League Clubs in the top 10 - 15 are filled with " Internationals " though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Have I missed anyone?

Yup. I am Gerrard in but this is 100% correct. 

Just imagine if say Pep or Klopp took over that team I find it very difficult to imagine we would have had similar results after 9 or so months.

I am still hopeful for West Ham.  I believe Gerrard is an intelligent man who is capable of improving and capable of change. Now he has seen the fan reaction and the heat is high I believe he will do the right thing and adjust his tactics and in game management. We shall see if I am proven be to an idiot (again) this weekend.

10 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yup. I am Gerrard in but this is 100% correct. 

Just imagine if say Pep or Klopp took over that team I find it very difficult to imagine we would have had similar results after 9 or so months.

I am still hopeful for West Ham.  I believe Gerrard is an intelligent man who is capable of improving and capable of change. Now he has seen the fan reaction and the heat is high I believe he will do the right thing and adjust his tactics and in game management. We shall see if I am proven be to an idiot (again) this weekend.

I get it, but it's a bit of a false narrative IMO. " International " is literally anyone who's ever gotten a cap.

We could have Prime Ronaldo in the team, but if it's not balanced it will ultimately be shite. Not even a Gerrard defense from my angle, it just doesn't paint an accurate picture at all IMO.

Would Pep or Klopp make Scottish International McGinn Rodri?

Come on man.

Buendia barely ever even gets off the bench.

Kamara literally just got his first cap a couple of months ago.

Carlos has never been capped.

Ollie is a bit part England player which people moan about every week.

Probably a more accurate representation of " Current" Internationals, and either way it's not this black and white.

We are essentially playing FIFA or something here .

https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-league/nationalspieler/wettbewerb/GB1

Screenshot_20220824-235928_Chrome-min.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get it, but it's a bit of a false narrative IMO. " International " is literally anyone who's ever gotten a cap.

We could have Prime Ronaldo in the team, but if it's not balanced it will ultimately be shite. Not even a Gerrard defense from my angle, it just doesn't paint an accurate picture at all IMO.

Would Pep or Klopp make Scottish International McGinn Rodri?

Come on man.

Buendia barely ever even gets off the bench.

Kamara literally just got his first cap a couple of months ago.

Carlos has never been capped.

Ollie is a bit part England player which people moan about every week.

Probably a more accurate representation of " Current" Internationals, and either way it's not this black and white.

We are essentially playing FIFA or something here .

https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-league/nationalspieler/wettbewerb/GB1

Screenshot_20220824-235928_Chrome-min.jpg

To be fair, we have 2 legitimate French internationals, 3 Brazil internationals (1 injured) and 2 Argentina internationals. The 3 strongest contenders for the World Cup I'd imagine. There are some top 6 teams like Spurs and Arsenal who can't even boast this. Spurs have 1 of each, and Arsenal are 1, 2 and 0 in that order.

• Like 1

Â