Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This lad who's not even a Villa fan can see the glaring issues with Gerrard's system. If he can see it, why can't Gerrard?

The worry is its so obvious and has been for so long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

This lad who's not even a Villa fan can see the glaring issues with Gerrard's system. If he can see it, why can't Gerrard?

Just came to post this clip, sometimes you wonder if you’re seeing this incorrectly as fans or if you’re expecting too much. This fellas a QPR fan and he can spot the issues Gerrards failed to address. 

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Just came to post this clip, sometimes you wonder if you’re seeing this incorrectly as fans or if you’re expecting too much. This fellas a QPR fan and he can spot the issues Gerrards failed to address. 

Wonder what he think of the brains behind Gerrard managing his team 🤣

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

entirely correct.

How trained professional cant see it, i dont know.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The issues we've been concerned about have become very obvious now. 

Yeah it's gone beyond us giving us the excuse that " we can be unreasonable as fans " because it seems even neutrals are saying the same things said on here.

Thing is, like @Vive_La_Villa said, I think he definitely has a plan and identity, but it's looking like it's either a shit one, or we need different players for it to have any chance of success.

The most obvious being another CM who isn't flimsy.

If the KEY signings for such a system can't be done he simply MUST go back to the drawing board.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

most obvious being another CM who isn't flimsy.

Think at core of the problems on that is that he has unlimited perseverance with McGinn and Ramsey, which may be a decent pairing if they weren't playing as inverted full backs for 60% of matches. Luiz clearly a better player than either in terms of holding the ball and giving composure! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dale said:

Think at core of the problems on that is that he has unlimited perseverance with McGinn and Ramsey, which may be a decent pairing if they weren't playing as inverted full backs for 60% of matches. Luiz clearly a better player than either in terms of holding the ball and giving composure! 

It’s a major concern. I think SG sees that as his best midfield 3 (the two of them with Kamara) and hasn’t even tried starting Luiz. Buying another midfielder doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll be upgrading and bringing in someone to automatically start or take over… I’d love it, but I really don’t expect it. A powerful and dominant player who can help us keep hold of the ball would be a huge help… we’re running out time (and options)…

With the captaincy, McGinn is even more nailed on as a regular starter. It’s a massive mistake and it’s very unlikely to change until we appoint a new manager. He’s a fixture in his side, regardless of form and ability. It’s a problem… SG is demonstrating that there really isn’t any competition for places in our midfield and we’re just going to continue to look hopeless and vacate or bypass that area in games - it’s crazy.

There are genuine concerns and little sign of any solutions…

Edited by Jas10

Mcginn must of saw Gerrard pick his nose and eat it and threatened to tell the squad Gerrard rewarded his silence with captaincy and undroppable status lol.

I really cannot think what he watches during games for him to keep starting Ramsey and mcginn, both should be benched.

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The guy who replied said it all. Change to two wide forwards/wingers (need Sarr and Bailey for this) and have fullbacks sit deeper and attack late on one side only.

The other option is to go 3 at the back in a 3 4 1 2 or 3 5 2. We don't have the midfield for a 3 4 3

I still think the diamond is the best formation for us right now. Make Bailey a wide forward on a 2 like Watkins and Ings play and have Coutinho or Buendia as the 10. It gives us another Midfielder centrally 

I've not completely given up on Gerrard. I have given up on 433 Gerrard. I think we have a large enough body of evidence now to know 433 and its derivatives (4312/4321) will not succeed often enough in this league to be competitive unless your players are at Liverpool's level. So if he doesn't see that by now, then he's already not good enough by default. The only thing that remains then is, how much time does his pallyness with Purslow buy him.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I've not completely given up on Gerrard. I have given up on 433 Gerrard. I think we have a large enough body of evidence now to know 433 and its derivatives (4312/4321) will not succeed often enough in this league to be competitive unless your players are at Liverpool's level. So if he doesn't see that by now, then he's already not good enough by default. The only thing that remains then is, how much time does his pallyness with Purslow buy him.

I think I want to see more of the 4 3 1 2 before I give up on it. We've a very good record with that formation so it can certainly work.

I've not given up on Gerrard either. His style of play is a significant departure from.how.we used to play and it will take longer for players to learn. It does however mean if the players do get it we have a high ceiling in terms of performance and consistency.

The big worry is if it can't be done with these players at this club with this manager. It's also very hard for Gerrard to pivot to 4 2 3 1 as we've been getting rid of all our wide players and we've focussed on defensive 8s and ultra attacking fullbacks. It's a total tear it up change for him and would he lose the respect of the dressing room to go back to what worked for Dean Smith.

I think he'll be given the time and we'll either have another poor season and end lower mid table and he's fired or it clicks and the form turns around. 

I do think we're better set up to play the bigger teams with Bailey in the side and quick transition goals being the three we've scored this season. We also are forced to be more compact and defensive so not leaving acres of space for opposition players to run into

We might get something from Arsenal and City games. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

The formation isn't the issue at all. I don't get the fixation on formation. It's the shapes those formations morph into in the various phases of the game, and the patterns of play those formations enable. And that is where we are failing. We are woeful in transition, and our defensive shape can at best be described as.. hollow. 

It's as if the team either haven't practiced enough to get timing of runs and passes right, Gerrard and the coaches can't explain it sufficiently well or it's just broken.

I think it's the latter option.

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

There is no reason we couldn’t set up like Newcastle did yesterday,

• traditional 433 with width provided by the inside forwards, St Maximin had a field day down the left against City high line. 
  • full backs not as far forward
  • midfield 3 more compact

Our squad is tailor made for this, and if we had signed Sarr he would have been devastating on the counter.

I can't disagree with this statement enough.  Our midfield is **** whatever system we play.  McGinn and JJ lack the defensive discipline required, Luiz isn't strong enough, Nakamba isn't good enough, Sanson hasn't done enough with his limited chances.  Whatever system we play - with those midfielders we are going to struggle.  We might not struggle as much as we do with McGinn and JJ seemingly encouraged to attack at every opportunity.

Emi2 and Couts aren't wide forwards.  We need them to play more centrally so that they can get the ball at the edge of the area and try and work opportunities to slip the CF through.

Ings and Ollie aren't the type of CFs to thrive with wingers - they aren't good enough in the air and Ollie's decision making in terms of attacking space in the box is dreadful.  He has other attributes but he isn't a Number 9.

Â