Luiz - Brazilian international

McGinn - Scottish international

Coutinho - Brazilian international

Buendia - Argentinian international

Bailey - Jamaican international

Ings - English international

Watkins - English international

Have I missed anyone?

Surely any decent manager could get a tune out of that lot!

Salifou, Toganese international.

Carlton Cole, Danny Drinkwater, England internationals with as many caps as Watkins and Ings.

Nothing makes me cringe quite like people thinking international caps === quality.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, we have 2 legitimate French internationals, 3 Brazil internationals (1 injured) and 2 Argentina internationals. The 3 strongest contenders for the World Cup I'd imagine. There are some top 6 teams like Spurs and Arsenal who can't even boast this. Spurs have 1 of each, and Arsenal are 1, 2 and 0 in that order.

Wesley is on loan not injured 😛 

Carlos has never been capped

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wesley is on loan not injured 😛 

Carlos has never been capped

And Luiz is a reserve, who earned most of his caps in the Olympics.

Buendia has a single cap, in a world cup qualifier. 

People are obsessed with the international prowess of our players, and it's a bit silly.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, we have 2 legitimate French internationals, 3 Brazil internationals (1 injured) and 2 Argentina internationals. The 3 strongest contenders for the World Cup I'd imagine. There are some top 6 teams like Spurs and Arsenal who can't even boast this. Spurs have 1 of each, and Arsenal are 1, 2 and 0 in that order.

Do you really believe this?

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Do you really believe this?

What, that we have a strong lineup of internationals now? Or that those 3 teams are the top contenders?

We've added most of those players in the last 12 months. It's a bit different from when some of our starters weren't even internationals at all a couple of years ago, or if they were it was for uh Ireland and Burkina Faso. Our lineup at the weekend had 1 non-international (Konsa) and 1 U21 International (Ramsey). The rest either played for England, Argentina, France, Brazil or...Poland :D

Please, just try it Gerrard.

Ings

Coutinho Buendia  Bailey

Kamara     Luiz

Digne Chambers Mings Cash

Martinez

Edited by MrBlack

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Salifou, Toganese international.

Carlton Cole, Danny Drinkwater, England internationals with as many caps as Watkins and Ings.

Nothing makes me cringe quite like people thinking international caps === quality.

We had plenty of “international experience” in 2016 as well, it sure helped.

Brad Guzan - USA international
Micah Richards - England international 
Jores Okore - Denmark international
Ciaran Clarke - Irish International
Joleon Lescott - England international
Alan Hutton - Scottish international
Aly Cisshokho - France international
Idressa Gueye - Senegal international
Kieran Richardson - England international 
Carlos Sanchez - Colombian international
Charles N’Zogbia - France international
Gabriel Agbonlahor - England international 
Jordan Ayew - Ghana international 
Liber Kozak - Czech international 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Vomit GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Jores Okore - Denmark international

Really stretching the term international there. Gabby, N'Zogbia and Cissokho's most recent caps for example (6 between them by the way) were 5 years before that.

By contrast, Lucas Digne and Boubacar Kamara both started in France's most recent competitive game.

On 24/08/2022 at 00:03, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How about?

IMG-20220823-WA0015.jpg

The Red Bull formation! Supposed to be effective for intense gegenpressing, with the front six relatively narrow and hard to play through. We tend to press high maybe one game in five, maybe it’s time? I quite like those player selections.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Really stretching the term international there. Gabby, N'Zogbia and Cissokho's most recent caps for example (6 between them by the way) were 5 years before that.

By contrast, Lucas Digne and Boubacar Kamara both started in France's most recent competitive game.

Do Bailey's caps say anything about his quality? They are like a league 1 side, no? 

If folks dont like the OP's reference to internationals then just remove the international bit.

Are these players under achieving or over achieving given their ability?

Its all opinions of course but I say under achieving.

I think they have more to give and I think improved coaching will help that. I hope and want Gerrard and team to be that improved coaching but I think other fans  can ask the reasonable question of, how much time more do you want to give him? 

Fwiw I am going game by game, which is bad. I am looking for improvement. I saw some against Bolton, but its Bolton. 

I also think Gabby has a point when he compares Gerrard to Moyes and Klopp this season* and how our two losses are not entirely unexpected for any PL team. 

* which I accept is a bit silly because Klopp and Moyes have a far greater track record than Gerrard but his overall point was reasonable imho.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

If folks dont like the OP's reference to internationals then just remove the international bit.

Are these players under achieving or over achieving given their ability?

Its all opinions of course but I say under achieving.

I think they have more to give and I think improved coaching will help that. I hope and want Gerrard and team to be that improved coaching but I think other fans  can ask the reasonable question of, how much time more do you want to give him? 

Fwiw I am going game by game, which is bad. I am looking for improvement. I saw some against Bolton, but its Bolton. 

I also think Gabby has a point when he compares Gerrard to Moyes and Klopp this season* and how our two losses are not entirely unexpected for any PL team. 

* which I accept is a bit silly because Klopp and Moyes have a far greater track record than Gerrard but his overall point was reasonable imho.

Results in isolation aren't the problem really. It's the performances which haven't been up to par. Then when combined with poor results it gets bad. If we were losing but playing really well, there'd be a lot more patience. Conversely, we went unbeaten in preseason, but we just didn't look very good. The warning signs were there.

• Like 1

Aren’t we in the top 5/6 for possession after these opening three games? Have we focussed on keeping the ball but still suck massively without it? I don’t see any signs of gegenpressing from our lot  any time soon, will be too much effort! 

Edited by Tayls

Just now, Tayls said:

Aren’t we in the top 5/6 for possession after these opening three games? Have we focussed on keeping the ball but still suck massively without it? 

Well Bournemouth and Everton just gave us the ball and defended deep and we looked clueless. I dont think it's something we have worked or focused on specifically

Â