Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry but I still find this argument for the squad poor.

Having 3 - 5 stand out players doesn't mean the overall squad isn't shite or unbalanced.

A squad with 22 " average " players is still better than a team with 10 average players, 3 standout players and 9 shit ones for example.

There are great players at shit teams all over the world.I repeat, we could have prime Ronaldo in our team and still fail.

We’d sell the most shirts though and that matters in my house 😜.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Having 3 - 5 stand out players doesn't mean the overall squad isn't shite or unbalanced.

A squad with 22 " average " players is still better than a team with 10 average players, 3 standout players and 9 shit ones for example.

There are great players at shit teams all over the world.I repeat, we could have prime Ronaldo in our team and still fail.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you saying we have a load of shit players?

I think if he can get in Brereton Diaz, Bednarek and a new 8. He can switch to a 4 3 3 with wingers and play Bailey on one side. This free's up options to stop these fullbacks being the width and allows in midfielders to join the attack. So either a 4 2 3 1 or a 4 3 3. 

I think a big issue is the system is not working for the players and it's compounded by being targeted by opposition. His only hope is getting in a wide player.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think if he can get in Brereton Diaz, Bednarek and a new 8. He can switch to a 4 3 3 with wingers and play Bailey on one side. This free's up options to stop these fullbacks being the width and allows in midfielders to join the attack. So either a 4 2 3 1 or a 4 3 3. 

I think a big issue is the system is not working for the players and it's compounded by being targeted by opposition. His only hope is getting in a wide player.

You’re assuming he will ever admit that what he’s doing is the problem and change it. If he’s not seen it yet, he’s never going to

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

But he don't play this system. he likes a narrow formation, playing through the middle. There is a reason we have no wingers.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, this isn't currently the underlying argument for why we are so poor.

I can’t agree about the squad but I agree with your final point.

At the very least, we have decent if not good players. I would say that every position is covered with at least decent player and a backup option too. Overall, this is the best squad we have had for a long, long whole and it doesn’t depend on or revolve around a single player…

We’ve invested a lot into the squad. But I’ve never said it’s good enough for top 6 or anything, I haven’t stated where our ambitions should be in accordance to the quality of the squad, there is a lot more to it than that.

Most of all, effective coaching and tactics. If you have quality players but shit coaching and set them up poorly, there’s no way you’re going to see the best of them.

Again, we invested in Kamara. We have actually strengthened in the key position that we have all banged on about.

I think it’s important to look back and see how well these players have performed in the (recent) past too, whether that’s under different coaches, managers or while playing for a different team… I think that’s very important and very relevant..

So the question I would pose is, if you think we are looking shite, unbalanced or average… do you not think that the manager is or could be responsible for that? Maybe even completely so?

A poor manager and poor coaching can be a huge detriment to a squad of, at least, decent players…

Just, for example, look at Brentford… would we really want any or many of their players? How many sides in this  division would? But look at how effective their coaching is, how well their manager gets the best out of his players and motivates or inspires them?

What does ours do? Force them into a piss poor “system”, with no ideas or intent, slumps into his seat and throws the players under the bus while he tries to escape the blame and protect his ego…

So there! 😛🤣

Edited by Jas10

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

A Championship player, a middling centre back and an 8.

Three ballon d'or winners couldn't save Gerrard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan_007 said:

Well yeah so that would still be on me as it should be on them. Passing the ball to feet at this level should be the very bare minimum 

Kinda agree it's on the players, but they ain't gonna change for Gerrard now. It's gonna take a change of manager. Unfortunately this is how it works in football, an sometimes industry.

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

A new 8 wouldn't make much difference because Gerrard refuses to drop McGinn no matter what.

Just now, Mantis said:

A new 8 wouldn't make much difference because Gerrard refuses to drop McGinn no matter what.

Fair point, but I'd like a new strong 6/8 type player who can add some physical edge and athleticism. I think the wide forward is now key so we can ditch the full backs providing the width

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But he don't play this system. he likes a narrow formation, playing through the middle. There is a reason we have no wingers.

He can change though. He must change actually if he has any hope of turning this around. IF he's too stubborn to do that then he'll lose his job

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

where would he play Coutinho?

It would sum up Gerrards uselessness to change tactics to widemen 9 months into the job

We can play a 10 or we can play Buendia/Coutinho as an 8 beside Kamara and Luiz

49 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

@Tom13 If it helps, at this point, I feel the Manager not seeming to know what he's doing, far outweighs any weaknesses i may see in the squad.

However I do think we also overrate our squad, and that it's unbalanced.

For me - this squad should be doing an awful lot more, we are underachieving massively in my view.

How can a team with players like Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey, Ings, combine to look so inept? 
The buck has to stop with the manager - and I’ll never forgive him for letting our most mercurial and entertaining player go? Bertie should be in our match day squad - ridiculous decision to let him go imo 

• Like 1

I just can't escape the "just vibes" tactical approach that I see out there.

It's all boringly predictable. Everyone's afraid of the press. Everyone always has to pick up their head to know what pass is on instead of instinctually knowing where to play. Everyone is simultaneously too far away from each other and too close to each other at the same time.

Clueless, clueless tactics.

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Putting Archer on for past 2 mins yesterday was complete incompetency.  

What was he hoping to achieve with that?  Run the clock down to ensure westham held on.

Sacking offence in its own right.

He couldn't have brought him on any sooner in fairness to him. It would have meant subbing captain fantastic before the 90 mark.

Â