Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What do we think will be happening at the training ground today?

Bollocking for everyone? Arm around the shoulder? Looking at different tactical options? Lots of warcrys and fighting?

I hope he just throws all the players into a pit with weapons and whichever 11 are left standing at the end that’s our 11 for the weekend.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grobs said:

What if we play a back 5? Don’t think this would be bad and might free up the wingbacks to provide a bit of attacking threat and maybe two strikers in the box to get on the end of crosses? 

Martinez 

Konsa     Mings    Carlos 

cash                                      Digne 

Kamara mcginn 

Buendia 

Ings               Watkins 

could swap konsa & mcginn for chambers and luiz and might give archer more opportunity of the bench. Think this time of formation might suit our current crop of players more than what we’ve been playing 

We practically were against Bournemouth as Kamara dropped into the back line. And as stated in that tactical analysis from Twitter, it was overkill as they only had one striker.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I hope he just throws all the players into a pit with weapons and whichever 11 are left standing at the end that’s our 11 for the weekend.

Who’ve you got? Reckon we’d have to go:

Martinez

Guilbert Carlos Mings Hause

Luiz McGinn Buendia

Bailey Davis Archer

Edited by a m ole

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Bollocking for everyone? Arm around the shoulder? Looking at different tactical options? Lots of warcrys and fighting?

The media team will release a video of shooting practise with just the keeper to beat, like most weeks

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We practically were against Bournemouth as Kamara dropped into the back line. And as stated in that tactical analysis from Twitter, it was overkill as they only had one striker.

I suppose, but by having a back 3/5 Kamara wouldn’t need to do that. Just think it makes more sense than trying to play buendia or coutinho on the wing where they are largely ineffective. 

Just now, grobs said:

I suppose, but by having a back 3/5 Kamara wouldn’t need to do that. Just think it makes more sense than trying to play buendia or coutinho on the wing where they are largely ineffective. 

But then we’d only have two in midfield. The problem was Kamara was too deep, and McGinn was too far forward meaning we were wide open in the middle. The same issue as last season.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Who’ve you got? Reckon we’d have to go:

Martinez

Guilbert Carlos Mings Hause

Luiz McGinn Buendia

Bailey Davis Archer

Nah Guilbert’s French, no way he’s surviving the pit.

The South American contingent are a shoe in, after that it depends on who gets the better weapons.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I like it.  My bet is Martinez to be last man standing.

Mings doesn't enter the pit of course, he has a one on one nunchuk fight with Gerrard instead. 

50 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nah Guilbert’s French, no way he’s surviving the pit.

The South American contingent are a shoe in, after that it depends on who gets the better weapons.

Cash is only fake Eastern European though, and he’s a pretty boy. Can Olsen play right back?

54 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

The media team will release a video of shooting practise with just the keeper to beat, like most weeks

Rather unsporting of the other teams to actually contest the ball

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Olsen, Augustinsson

Only signing he has made under 28 is Kamara compared to Spurs with Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison, Bissouma, Lenglet, Romero who they made permanent and Djed Spence

So our backup keeper and a loan Left back.

Bentacur and Bissouma were players we wanted which a section of fans said were shite or overrated.

Again, we have a load of youth already on our books and have signed more over the close season.

I'll agree with certain things, but the player age jibe is an empty one IMO.

What is the average age of our squad?

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Rather unsporting of the other teams to actually contest the ball

Well could put them dummy’s in front, but knowing this lot they couldn’t even beat that 😂

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So our backup keeper and a loan Left back.

Bentacur and Bissouma were players we wanted which a section of fans said were shite or overrated.

Again, we have a load of youth already on our books and have signed more over the close season.

I'll agree with certain things, but the player age jibe is an empty one IMO.

What is the average age of our squad?

I dont really care about the age of the squad its more the quality. Coutinho I wouldnt have signed personally he is finished unless we have the right system that allows him not to move and get involved on the ball

Digne another I wouldnt have bought, Rafa saw through him at Everton and have not been convinced by him and we should have went for Hickey who could have been our left back for the next decade#

The rest are fine though Carlos needs be partnered with Mings at the back without his presence he will look poor aerially 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Gerrard probably ran straight up to Mings.

aliens-sergeant.gif

• Haha 2

Watching parts of the Bournemouth game back, what baffles me is how toothless we looked in attack considering who we had on the pitch. We have the players to play quick ball and play it through the middle, yet we were putting in cross after cross against a bigger side. Completely devoid of creativity. It was so easy for Bournemouth to nullify us as the ball was so slow. 

In his post match, Gerrard said that the loss wasn't down to application. For me, both goals conceded were absolutely down to Bournemouth wanting it more (particularly the second). We need to be quicker all over the pitch. Quicker to loose balls, quicker playing it out from the back, quicker passing around the box. We were so pedestrian it was unreal.

I'm going to put it down to the old "you don't want to play a newly promoted side away on the first day" sort of curse. If we don't see a massive improvement vs Everton then I think the pressure will start to mount.

I did some mooching on Transfermarkt with regards to the formations he tended to use when he was at Rangers. Low and behold it was pretty much always a 433 or 4231. Quite where he’s getting this 4321 with the two 10s or the 4312 diamond from is a bit strange.

If he went with what he did at Rangers we’d be in a far better shape, literally. 

Â