Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

We’re in a sort of chicken and egg scenario ... We need to be in a better position financially - especially commercially to afford the higher/est calibre of player. However. Buying a top level marquee player would 🤞🏻help commercially & financially...

We need that boost a coup of a signing would hopefully make and I’m certain that, when the right player is available who makes sense financially, we will execute the deal. Who and when ??? Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

More than that I think it kills our current structure

Targett has just had a pay rise but before that he was supposed to be on £35k a week, probably won't be a whole lot more now, same with cash, konsa etc we will have relatively low paid first teamers

Coutinho was suggested a few weeks back and yeah on paper he'll probably be sold this summer and it'll be for a loss and realistically mid table PL is about as good as he'll get so it not a stretch for us but not completely mad... Apart from his £200k a week wages... Any chance we might have is dead straight away

Red rag to an agent

This is why we shouldn't be buying people past the age of 26. At that point they'll only decline and you can't recoup the losses.

Either way I feel Oyarzabal will be a superstar and we should go for him as most of the big clubs are **** financially. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

More than that I think it kills our current structure

Targett has just had a pay rise but before that he was supposed to be on £35k a week, probably won't be a whole lot more now, same with cash, konsa etc we will have relatively low paid first teamers

Coutinho was suggested a few weeks back and yeah on paper he'll probably be sold this summer and it'll be for a loss and realistically mid table PL is about as good as he'll get so it not a stretch for us but not completely mad... Apart from his £200k a week wages... Any chance we might have is dead straight away

Red rag to an agent

I don’t think that is an issue if you are buying players far above players like Matt Target. Jack is on 120 so if you bring in a player for 100k a week then that already exists. 
When players earn the right to have that wage, they can have it as we will be successful if they have earned that right.

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

This is why we shouldn't be buying people past the age of 26. At that point they'll only decline and you can't recoup the losses.

Either way I feel Oyarzabal will be a superstar and we should go for him as most of the big clubs are **** financially. 

If it were up to me today to spend 120m I'd have Berardi, Oyarzabal and Koopmeiners.

I'd sell Conor, El Ghazi, and Engels to fund a left back and centre back.

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If it were up to me today to spend 120m I'd have Berardi, Oyarzabal and Koopmeiners.

I'd go Oyarzabal, Bailey (I assume that is ~100 million) and then sell mcginn spend 30-40 mil on a DM. Either Bissouma or Zakaria.

Then Engels, Hourihane, Heaton (if he is still under contract I thought he signed a 3 year deal but others are saying he is expiring), Guilbert if he brings in more than 7-8 mil, El Ghazi if it is more than 15 mil. Aim to get a LB and a cb (plus a rb if we sell guilbert) with their funds and maybe try for a St if we sell el Ghazi. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We have 12 to 18 months advantage financially over 90% of top European clubs. Covid has stripped a lot of teams of money. This next season I would expect to be our biggest for spending. Even if its on 2 or 3 players although I suspect 4 to 5 players. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us spend £150 million plus to get in those players while we can. 

The majority of the big hitters won't be, this coming season. 

Just now, brummybloke said:

We have 12 to 18 months advantage financially over 90% of top European clubs. Covid has stripped a lot of teams of money. This next season I would expect to be our biggest for spending. Even if its on 2 or 3 players although I suspect 4 to 5 players. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us spend £150 million plus to get in those players while we can. 

The majority of the big hitters won't be, this coming season. 

They can only spend what they are allowed under regulations, I picked 120 as it's the halfway point of spending between season 1 and 2 in the premier league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

They can only spend what they are allowed under regulations, I picked 120 as it's the halfway point of spending between season 1 and 2 in the premier league.

If that's on 3 players then you would hope or expect those 3 would be an upgrade and with a preseason, first team starters. We haven't had the best out of sansom yet who was regularly in the top 10 midfielders in France so from that I'm presuming a CM who can hold, pass, head and tackle/ intercept, maybe not a traditional defensive midfielder but an imposing one which will give options such as mgginn further forwards. At least 1 winger who is a carrier of the ball with pace and either a forward or another winger.

If sansom isn't a dead ball 'expert' then I would hope we are looking at one of those to be the winger CM or the forward.

El ghazi, traore, mgginn, luiz I would be happy to have on our bench subject to these new players. All those have potential to alter how a game is going, which you want from a substitute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

If that's on 3 players then you would hope or expect those 3 would be an upgrade and with a preseason, first team starters. We haven't had the best out of sansom yet who was regularly in the top 10 midfielders in France so from that I'm presuming a CM who can hold, pass, head and tackle/ intercept, maybe not a traditional defensive midfielder but an imposing one which will give options such as mgginn further forwards. At least 1 winger who is a carrier of the ball with pace and either a forward or another winger.

If sansom isn't a dead ball 'expert' then I would hope we are looking at one of those to be the winger CM or the forward.

El ghazi, traore, mgginn, luiz I would be happy to have on our bench subject to these new players. All those have potential to alter how a game is going, which you want from a substitute.

Oh yea the players I suggested a few posts back would be guaranteed starters and I think the same about Sanson as well.

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

Berardi is a top player but is a reason none of the bigger Italian teams have even tried to sign him

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Berardi is a top player but is a reason none of the bigger Italian teams have even tried to sign him

I don't pretend to know that reason.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Because he struggled when he left sassaluso initially. He's a lot better now. I don't know whether he would be up for it in the prem. But I don't think he would flop like he did after his first transfer. 

Hasn't Berardi only ever played for Sassuolo?  Serie A banned co-ownership so the Juve thing never happened.

I imagine that knee injury was what stopped the move that year and after that he's had quite a few minor injury issues. 

On paper he looks a interesting target but maybe there is off field stuff I'm not aware off. 

• Like 1

Wages are the stumbling block for most of the names mentioned in here. Top players at other teams will want 100k+ A week unfortunately and I’m not sure we can quite hit that yet (Grealish aside). 

I have no doubt the money for Transfer fees and Agent fees is there. 

Who knows, maybe another year in the top flight has given us power to spend more. I’m sure we’ll trim the squad again this summer and that will free up some money for wages elsewhere. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thabucks said:

We’re in a sort of chicken and egg scenario ... We need to be in a better position financially - especially commercially to afford the higher/est calibre of player. However. Buying a top level marquee player would 🤞🏻help commercially & financially...

We need that boost a coup of a signing would hopefully make and I’m certain that, when the right player is available who makes sense financially, we will execute the deal. Who and when ??? Time will tell. 

Were not in debt.

If we go for a top named player, yes we have to make sure that he's right for the build, system, that he can be coached and the sell on value is a fair bit more than what we got him for.

Some of these big name players that are playing on the world stage have some real good marketing. Same with sponsorship deals these players get and all the advertising that comes with them. They can be flogged easier at high price a season or three from when you get them, we just have to find them when they're young to cut out the big price which is not easy.

I don't mind the club spending a crazy amount on a player to start competing, so long as it pays off for the club.

Edited by Dave-R

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Were not in debt.

I think he’s referring to FFP restrictions rather than actual availability of funds. 

You’re just reliving the nightmare of the previous regime. Don’t worry the naughty men aren’t under the bed anymore. 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think he’s referring to FFP restrictions rather than actual availability of funds. 

You’re just reliving the nightmare of the previous regime. Don’t worry the naughty men aren’t under the bed anymore. 😀

Sorry I don't dream of men under the bed it's women, they're in the sock draw but it's not a sock draw it's a whore draw 🤣

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1