Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

20 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think that's being a bit harsh, I've been quite impressed with Marvelous this season and he has played some solid games for us in the midfield imo.

Ultimately he remains fifth choice. Behind McGinn, Luiz, Sanson (we haven't paid 15m for him to be behind Nakamba in pecking order surely) and Ramsey although that's arguable currently.

Two years left on his deal so to me makes sense to cash in on someone who surely won't play more than this season and it's only about 5 starts. Otherwise he'll just be one of those who just hangs around the squad and we find it difficult to shift before his contract ends.

13 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’d rather go the Leicester transfer policy route than Everton 

Tielemans, Ricardo Peireira and Castagne all came as relatively proven international players from good european clubs so would be a step up for our transfer dealings.And they also signed Kelechi with Vardy as certain first choice for 25m so going by the logic on the other page that's something we simply shouldn't consider.

What I like about Leicester is there's a real mix to their deals. Many under 25s, a few from the championship like Maddison and Justin who've stepped up very well but they also go for the old experienced head aswell, signed Johnny Evans when he was 30 years old.

Whenever anyone suggests a player over 28 it causes a near riot on here like with Wilson last summer so Leicester have shown real flexibility whereas vibe on here is we can only really sign championship players still who have been good but it won't see us breaking into top 6 anytime soon.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tielemans, Ricardo Peireira and Castagne all came as relatively proven international players from good european clubs so would be a step up for our transfer dealings.And they also signed Kelechi with Vardy as certain first choice for 25m so going by the logic on the other page that's something we simply shouldn't consider.

What I like about Leicester is there's a real mix to their deals. Many under 25s, a few from the championship like Maddison and Justin who've stepped up very well but they also go for the old experienced head aswell, signed Johnny Evans when he was 30 years old.

Whenever anyone suggests a player over 28 it causes a near riot on here like with Wilson last summer so Leicester have shown real flexibility whereas vibe on here is we can only really sign championship players still who have been good but it won't see us breaking into top 6 anytime soon.

Precisely it’s a model we should follow obviously won’t happen over night , Everton singing Moise Keane for £36m and Iwobi for £22m was questionable, they have a good squad don’t get me wrong but if things go wrong for them I don’t think it bodes well for them I can’t see much re sale value in any of their players,  Leicester on the other hand Tielemans was £40 m and is easily a  £50 player as is  Maddison and  Fofana looks to be a huge prospect, they’ve spent big yes and picked a few bargains (Justin)  but I see all their signings improving and gaining value.

31 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Precisely it’s a model we should follow obviously won’t happen over night , Everton singing Moise Keane for £36m and Iwobi for £22m was questionable, they have a good squad don’t get me wrong but if things go wrong for them I don’t think it bodes well for them I can’t see much re sale value in any of their players,  Leicester on the other hand Tielemans was £40 m and is easily a  £50 player as is  Maddison and  Fofana looks to be a huge prospect, they’ve spent big yes and picked a few bargains (Justin)  but I see all their signings improving and gaining value.

Everton were on about selling Kean to PSG for about 40m the other week but I can't see that, seems to have disappeared from PSG line up when they actually have important matches unless he's injured.

I actually think Everton have a really good starting 11 on paper when everyone is fit but they have mentality issues like us a decade ago of not quite believing they're good enough to finish top 4. And as you say they have many players in 28-30 bracket so when Ancelotti goes in a year or two they'll have to reshape the squad pretty quickly so that will put them in transition yet again, Leicester is certainly the better model of the two although they will have issues once Vardy can't do what he does.

Everton have spent 500m since we went down in 2016 so it's easy to forget how much some of the established top half clubs actually spend nowadays when we're moaning that a 8m signing like El Ghazi hasn't come off. Even Traore at half what they signed Iwobi for.

There's a chance for us in the next few years. Arsenal been tragic last two seasons and are struggling to even finish top half nowadays, Spurs will fall down the league a bit unless they pull out Poch mark 2 from somewhere and likes of Everton, Leicester and West Ham certainly shouldn't be impossible to finish above if we can sign well over next two years. Then you're waiting for established club to fall away a bit, Liverpool post Klopp look a prime candidate I think.

Worst thing would be we actually lose Grealish the season 3-4 of those are really vulnerable as that will inevitably set us back a year or two, indeed we should have some sort of plan in place for post Grealish villa now just as Leicester had Soyuncu in storage to replace Maguire and James Justin was in the squad ready to come in for Ben Chilwell.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Everton were on about selling Kean to PSG for about 40m the other week but I can't see that, seems to have disappeared from PSG line up when they actually have important matches unless he's injured.

I actually think Everton have a really good starting 11 on paper when everyone is fit but they have mentality issues like us a decade ago of not quite believing they're good enough to finish top 4. And as you say they have many players in 28-30 bracket so when Ancelotti goes in a year or two they'll have to reshape the squad pretty quickly so that will put them in transition yet again, Leicester is certainly the better model of the two although they will have issues once Vardy can't do what he does.

Everton have spent 500m since we went down in 2016 so it's easy to forget how much some of the established top half clubs actually spend nowadays when we're moaning that a 8m signing like El Ghazi hasn't come off. Even Traore at half what they signed Iwobi for.

There's a chance for us in the next few years. Arsenal been tragic last two seasons and are struggling to even finish top half nowadays, Spurs will fall down the league a bit unless they pull out Poch mark 2 from somewhere and likes of Everton, Leicester and West Ham certainly shouldn't be impossible to finish above if we can sign well over next two years. Then you're waiting for established club to fall away a bit, Liverpool post Klopp look a prime candidate I think.

Worst thing would be we actually lose Grealish the season 3-4 of those are really vulnerable as that will inevitably set us back a year or two, indeed we should have some sort of plan in place for post Grealish villa now just as Leicester had Soyuncu in storage to replace Maguire and James Justin was in the squad ready to come in for Ben Chilwell.

Yes, I think a genuine target for us should be to surpass or replace the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. They have been in decline, Arsenal greatly so.

I don’t think Kane will stick around any longer and I can see Spurs struggling.

The key is to strengthen our team intelligently and iron out our weaknesses/deficiencies.

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I’d rather go the Leicester transfer policy route than Everton 

Definitely.

Everton are probably restricted still because of the amount of shit in the squad.

Let's not kid ourselves as well that Smith would be much of a pull for any higher level experienced players, makes sense to go for players on the rise still right now. Ancelotti is comfortably the third biggest name in PL management.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Is Brooks actually good enough though? Can’t say I’ve seen him much myself. 

This.

I think we should cast our net a wee bit higher in our recruitment.

Not sure Bournmouth would let him go cheap either, if at all.

Yeah, we should be wary of signing players who are probably no better than most of what we already have. The minimum we should be looking for is the level of Emi, Ollie and Cash (great signings).

Boy were we lucky to get Martinez, a stupendous signing in all honesty!

If we can get that level of player in our key areas or weakest positions... just imagine...

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This.

I think we should cast our net a wee bit higher in our recruitment.

Not sure Bournmouth would let him go cheap either, if at all.

Think they'll probably entertain offers if they don't go up. If they go up, no chance. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Think they'll probably entertain offers if they don't go up. If they go up, no chance. 

Possibly, but we should be looking elsewhere and of a higher quality imo.

I don't really want to see us keep building the squad of Championship players tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Possibly, but we should be looking elsewhere and of a higher quality imo.

I don't really want to see us keep building the squad of Championship players tbh.

Whilst I agree to a point, its worth noting some of our best players are 'Championship players'. Grealish was a Championship player once. As was Konsa, as was Cash, as was Watkins etc...

Buying the best players from the championship teams isn't the worst policy in the world (In my opinion). 

• Thanks 1

Brooks is a good player but if the standard of player we're looking to sign is ones which will allow us to make a more realistic push for Europe and break through to the next level then I don't think he's it unfortunately. It's what makes this summer so tough but exciting in equal measure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Whilst I agree to a point, its worth noting some of our best players are 'Championship players'. Grealish was a Championship player once. As was Konsa, as was Cash, as was Watkins etc...

Buying the best players from the championship teams isn't the worst policy in the world (In my opinion). 

Yeah, I agree.

It's okay plucking some of the best players from there, but let's not build a whole squad out of it.

The barometer for me should be, would I be disappointed if the players we are linked with signed for Leicester or Everton?

With Brooks, probably not, but I definitely would be if it was Buendia, Sarr or Ikone. Same with Edouard or Abraham, but I wouldn’t be bothered if someone like Origi signed for them over us.

That’s how I’m judging it as Leicester and Everton should really be what we are aiming to emulate for now, before we push on even further.