Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

47 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I really don't see how it could be viewed like that unless you're going into the video with that attitude already. 

Well for instance they have chugged on the non reliance on Grealish as a positive. Personally I think it's a negative.

They speak at a very high level. Villa won the FA youth cup - ergo they have a lot of youngsters who can cut it in the PL.

We've won the youth cup before it wasn't a prelude to anything.

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/endendevertraege Above is a list of players whose contracts expire in 12 months … Some very decent names to keep an eye on… pre contract negotiations can start in January. 

We should be happy with just Mbappe. It will take the pressure off Ollie and Ings

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/endendevertraege Above is a list of players whose contracts expire in 12 months … Some very decent names to keep an eye on… pre contract negotiations can start in January. 

I am shocked that Tarkowski is in his final year. I would have thought Burnley would have cashed in on him this window. He will be a very good free signing for someone

14 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

I don't think it is demands as such; more hopes that have morphed into expectations.

Maybe ive used the wrong word but you only have to look at social media etc to see that those expectations have just exploded after one average finish in the prem 

I dont get all the negativity, I think its one of the most exciting times ever to be a Villa fan and as ive just posted on the Dean Smith thread, if it means waiting a couple of years for us to be a constant team knocking the door then absolute fine by me, I will not for get the last 10 years and the misery of relegation/decline

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Does anyone else think the Mbappe 197m bid is a load of BS and a story that PSG and Real agreed between them. Real 'showed' the fans that they tried to buy Mbappe and PSG saved face by turning down such a huge offer. It all sounds like a convenient story for both clubs

Yep. Scum. Subhuman scum the whole lot of em.

2 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

if it means waiting a couple of years for us to be a constant team knocking the door then absolute fine by me,

+1

Although I have no doubt we will retain our PL status this season we are still a club that only came up 3 years ago and we have a completely new squad. We really do need to establish ourselves as a PL team before we can properly push for Europe imo.

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

+1

Although I have no doubt we will retain our PL status this season we are still a club that only came up 3 years ago and we have a completely new squad. We really do need to establish ourselves as a PL team before we can properly push for Europe imo.

Yeah I think it's becoming clear what the aim is with the First team squad. We want it light on signings, so like 22/23 players and then 5/6 academy players. We will not have a first team squad member from the 22/23 who does not serve a purpose on the pitch that season. Hause and Nakamba are great examples, not first team players but do a job when called upon and play in cup games vs lower league opposition. 

I expect next summer the focus is on midfield and defence where this summer was on the attack. We want a 22/23 player squad where nobody has an issue if any of them play in Prem, like now if we had Axel or Young in for a few games nobody would have an issue

I don't think our young players are quite ready yet to make the step up to solve our CM conundrum.

However, due to the small handful of suitable players being out of our range this transfer window an opportunity to progress these young players has arisen.

It's probably a season earlier than Dean would have ideally chosen, but Bellingham is an example of the fact that occasionally it can work out exceptionally well.

My feeling is that we will point to our CM's as the reason why we haven't performed as well as we hoped in some matches this season, but I'm hoping that the energy and ability of our 'breakthrough' youth will get a response from Luiz, Nakamba and Sansonl.

The fight for CM places this season should result in 100% commitment to keep a first team spot. That commitment wasn't always obvious last season in my opinion.

Despite loosing Jack Grealish I feel we’ve done well in this window 

Jack’s money alone has vastly improved the squad depth

Our first 11 on paper looks stronger, yet that’s still pending on fitness/injuries/covid

Intentional or not, we are in a net positive on transfers, for the first time in years. That’s got to keep the accountants happy as well as the FFP police. 

Unfortunately for some, our midfield wasn’t improved, yet this isn’t necessary bad, it gives an open door for JJ and Chukz to get game time. Touch wood, this would rapidly improve them to the players “we need”. No new DM gives Doug one more go to reach his so called potential. 

With all the attacking players we have now, it might reduce Smith’s need/desire to overload the final third with the midfield. Keeping players like McGinn and Doug in position and less likely to be caught out by counters.. 

I’m not expecting European football, or an improvement on points this season. This is due to our (understandably) meh start and potential problems with player isolations down the line.
Where I think we will improve is, from our youngsters coming through and Smith ironing out some tactical problems. 

hopefully, we are a season or two away from mounting a sustainable go at European football. Not just one season and rebuild for another go, but a go we can keep doing for years to come.  

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He can't know as they are legally secret as we learned with Jacks one.

Anyway his vale next summer would be same as this as he had a long contract already. All depends on if Southampton are willing to sell, they couldn't do that this summer as they already lost two key players. Might be more willing to sell next summer. We'll see

I don't think they are legally secret UNLESS the club/agent put in a confidentiality provision.

Clearly Jack's wasn't secret as his agent had obviously Man Citeh aware of the £100m provision. 

in relation to the midfield we need to see how Sanson/Ramsey/Chukwuemeka get on this season. See what McGinns form is like and if he can improve on last season. Signing a midfielder on top of those who would compete with them (some times for 1 place if we go 4 4 2) would make no sense for the club really. So I'm happy a McKennie wasn't signed for example. 

In relation to Luiz/Nakamba we tried JWP and we couldn't get him. One of those two would have been moved on if we could (probably Luiz). We could only replace with someone better and proven in the Premier League. I would expect us to go after Bissouma/JWP next summer part funded by Luiz sale to solve the CDM role.