Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Guilbert barely spoke any English 

Do we know that for sure or that his Instagram posts were always in French?

Also where is Guilbert now? back to France and he did only spend a season and a half in England too

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can't be, but French people Sansons age learn English in school and the Prem has a long history of French players and I can't think of one who didn't learn English after a few seasons here.

I think South Americans can struggle often due to poor education in large parts of the Continent and English not being taught in schools etc. 

Also settling in England when all your family are in SA vs a train ride away in France is also a big factor. 

It’s been documented that France has the lowest percentage of English speakers in Europe I think, or certainly in the developed areas of Europe. In comparison with Holland, Spain and Germany for example, it’s much lower IIRC.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s been documented that France has the lowest percentage of English speakers in Europe I think, or certainly in the developed areas of Europe. In comparison with Holland, Spain and Germany for example, it’s much lower IIRC.

I'm sure that's probably correct, but when compared to say Brazil? 

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Do we know that for sure or that his Instagram posts were always in French?

Also where is Guilbert now? back to France and he did only spend a season and a half in England too

He was taking English lessons when he first arrived. 

Doubt he spoke a word of English 

Edited by villalad21

20 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

As alluded to we have spent millions on the academy for that to be a success we need to have players graduating to the 1st team.  This saves us a fortune and also signals to the next wonderkid come to Villa this is what happens.

This season is going to be interesting with the kids around the 1st team and how they are used.  We have bought well to compliment the team and have promoted the kids that show they have the minerals.

I think it's a real test of the process and I am excited by it.  Will it propel us into Europe probably not this year but there is a plan in place and we have the money should that plan fail.

Good times.

Hopefully the academy has a specific program for developing DMs.

Otherwise we will still have to spend a fortune to recruit a decent one next summer.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Thats because they choose not to speak English 😉

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So who out of West Ham, Arsenal, Everton, Leeds, Wolves, Southampton or Palace do we actually think had a better window than us?

I persinally dont think any of them have. Could throw in Newcastle to that list

If West Ham signings are so great why did it take 3 games into the season to buy them. Panic buys

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I persinally dont think any of them have. Could throw in Newcastle to that list

If West Ham signings are so great why did it take 3 games into the season to buy them. Panic buys

Palace have IMO.

Andersen, Olise, Edouard, Gallagher all excellent signings. Squad padded out quite well by the rest i.e. Guehi, Hughes

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So who out of West Ham, Arsenal, Everton, Leeds, Wolves, Southampton or Palace do we actually think had a better window than us?

West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves and Palace definitely did as they kept their best player(s) and bought well on top of that. Everton didn’t spend much (2m) but got in Gray and Lookman which look like great signings so I’d say them as well. Leeds didn’t lose Phillips but only strengthened in a position (winger) they don’t really need. Southampton lost ings and their best CB but signed JWP and looks like they’ve supplemented the squad nicely on top of that. Unfortunately, Grealish screwed us over with the release clause, nothing more the owners could of done.
So I’d say West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves, Palace and Everton had better windows. Then Leeds and Southampton had similiar windows to us (maybe ours is slightly better as we had the most difficult job replacing Joe) 

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Palace have IMO.

Andersen, Olise, Edouard, Gallagher all excellent signings. Squad padded out quite well by the rest i.e. Guehi, Hughes

Palace will finish lower than last season and probably wont even get 40 points

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Palace have IMO.

These do seem like good signings. Players I’d expect other clubs to have been in for too. It does have a want to live in London feel about players that join Palace. 

Yeh they will probably struggle. Fans forget how difficult it is to for a team to gel when theres  a lot of changes and on top of that having a new manager. You’d think they’d know it’s not that simple considering what happened to us under Sherwood. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

That's a nonsense prediction to make at this stage.

Always find it's the same folks saying "you can't judge our season on the first 3 games" who will comfortably trash other clubs on the basis of their start.

Just now, est1874 said:

That's a nonsense prediction to make at this stage.

Always find it's the same folks saying "you can't judge our season on the first 3 games" who will comfortably trash other clubs on the basis of their start.

Ive predicted this for weeks. They have a poor manager and have lost the best player from last season through injury. Will be more likely in a relegation battle this season 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Ive predicted this for weeks. They have a poor manager and have lost the best player from last season through injury. Will be more likely in a relegation battle this season 

To be fair its longer than that, you have predicted it since woy announced he was leaving last season and doubled down on it when they appointed Vieira let alone then their start to the season and their transfer window 

And its correct, Palace have been on a slippery slope for a while now, I think they'll do a Newcastle this year and somehow just about do enough to survive, there's just a bit of nothingness and pointlessness about them and they know it 

Id be amazed and disappointed if they got near our position in the league 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is beyond ridiculous imo

Sorry I’m looking at who they’ve lost vs who they’ve bought in West Ham for example kept Rice and have added Kral, Vlasic, Zouma and Areola on top. How is it beyond ridiculous to think that’s better than us losing Grealish etc and getting Ings Bailey, Buendia, Young and axel. No one knows how these players for both teams are going to perform, it’s all opinions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeanVilla said:

Trincao and the Hwang-lee chan in whilst keeping Neves, Neto, Adam, Jimenez etc. You should probably check before making these statements haha

Downgraded the keeper, not added depth in midfield

Neto is out for most of this season isn't he? Trincao is a good replacement though

The main thing for wolves so far is traore looks like he'll do better than his 1 goal and 2 assists from last year 

The funny thing is wolves fans on my Facebook think they've had a bad summer and are unhappy with their owners