Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

With the new 'let the game flow' interpretation of the rules being impelemented this season I suspect this might be their best season for a few years.

Would be ultimately ironic this if they do get relegated. 

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is much better for AVFC if we have a net negative outlay every window. The ideal scenario is to buy cheap and develop players and to develop via the youth setup. From the beginning NSWE and CP have said this is the Aston Villa strategy. Our strategy is working and I am happy with that.

Superb point. To come in with a net positive, financially, but to have recruited the players we have is remarkable, really.

We have some superb players now playing in a variety of positions: I am desperate to see this new look team fit and healthy, playing together and gelling asap. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think if Newcastle have a few injuries they will be in the mix

If they lose Wilson or ASM (both very injury prone), they’re done for IMO.

With Willock, ASM and Wilson they probably have enough, but like I say, lose them and there isn’t much left. 

I think it's been a decent window. We've hopefully covered the Grealish gap with the 3 main signings and bought in Young/Tuanzebe for cover and versatility. I think they wanted one further signing but they couldn't get the player they wanted for the right money and decided to be patient instead of getting rinsed for the Grealish cash.

Seems a tad dramatic to suggest the owners have turned the tap off to me. Looks more like they're taking stock and using this season to evaluate whether the young lads like Chuk and Bidance are up to the task immediately. With a view to the other loanees developing enough to be in the squad next season and offer further competition.

Every player we buy now means another block to one of those players being in the squad/first XI. If they don't develop or aren't up to the task in the short term, we'll have some serious cash to buy another player in January (if desperate) or we'll go out and get real quality in the summer transfer window with a view to pushing on.

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

A season of Aston Villa 15/16 proportions?

ha unlikely but I remember saying we will finish mid table  that season after watching the first 2 games.  Many expected Sheffield United to finish top half again last season. 

Theres always one team that really struggles. It will probably be Norwich again.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

ha unlikely but I remember saying we will finish mid table  that season after watching the first 2 games.  Many expected Sheffield United to finish top half again last season. 

Theres always one team that really struggles. It will probably be Norwich again.

Would be glorious if its Arsenal :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

I think it's been a decent window. We've hopefully covered the Grealish gap with the 3 main signings and bought in Young/Tuanzebe for cover and versatility. I think they wanted one more further signing but they couldn't get the player they wanted for the right money and decided to be patient instead of getting rinsed for the Grealish cash.

Seems a tad dramatic to suggest the owners have turned the tap off to me. Looks more like they're taking stock and using this season to evaluate whether the young lads like Chuk and Bidance are up to the task immediately. With a view to the other loanees developing enough to be in the squad next season and offer further competition.

Every player we buy now means another block to one of those players being in the squad/first XI. If they don't develop or aren't up to the task in the short term, we'll have some serious cash to buy another player in January (if desperate) or we'll go out and get real quality in the summer transfer window with a view to pushing on.

Exactly, we restructured the academy and are constantly signing the best young talent in the country, so it’s obvious the direction we are going in, if we have a stacked first team with no gateway for youngsters then it really doesn’t send the right message for those signing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Three years ago this was our Squad (ex Loans)

Bunn, Nyland, Steer

Bree, Chester, Elmo, Elphick, Hutton, Richards, Taylor

Adomah, Bjarnason, Carroll, Hoirihan, Jedinak, Lansbury, McGinn, Whelan

Davis, Grealish, Green, Hogan, Kodjia

Let's not forget how far we've come in such a short space of time.

**** hell, we weren't half badly run pre-NSWE

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Bunn, Nyland, Steer

Yikes. What a horrible squad.

One of the most positive things about this window is the quality we have across the first XI and now on the bench too. For years now we have gone into windows needing numbers and with lots of gaps we needed to plug. This meant we had to buy too many players for one window and we also had to spread our budget thinner to buy so many players. We are now in a position where we look to have saleable assets and any new signings will allow us to improve quality of our first XI or to purchase some really exciting prospect. I genuinely cannot remember when we were last in that position

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Bunn, Nyland, Steer

Steer and McGinn the only two left standing! 

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Bunn, Nyland, Steer

You are missing a key member of the team. Bruce was our manager 🤣

• Haha 3

Does anyone else think the Mbappe 197m bid is a load of BS and a story that PSG and Real agreed between them. Real 'showed' the fans that they tried to buy Mbappe and PSG saved face by turning down such a huge offer. It all sounds like a convenient story for both clubs

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Bunn, Nyland, Steer

Bloody hell Tom Carroll!  Totally forgot about him.

He's right up there with Baston and Dawkins in the most pointless loan signings ever contest.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Does anyone else think the Mbappe 197m bid is a load of BS and a story that PSG and Real agreed between them. Real 'showed' the fans that they tried to buy Mbappe and PSG saved face by turning down such a huge offer. It all sounds like a convenient story for both clubs

How can any club turn that down of its real when he leaves on a free next summer, something isn't right with that for sure