Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good little watch, to be fair, it really does seem outsiders and pundits think we've had a good window.

Are we just greedy?

With Ornstein etc.

Be interested to see what they about other clubs for context - Arsenal Newcastle etc .

That to me seemed like "little Aston villa ticking over nicely"  rather than us being big guns this season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

There appears to be a few like that in our squad. I follow all the players socials and it's extremely rare to see Guilbert, Sanson or Luiz post in English. It's not anything to "get" at them. Football is a universal language but it does make you question how much they've committed to playing in England, especially in the case of Luiz who'd been on the books of Man City (although loaned out abroad) for a couple of years before coming here.

Maybe I read too much into it, Aguero's English was horrible even after a decade in England...and have you ever heard John McGinn speak? Can't understand a word of it 😂

I bet Luiz and Guilbert have better English than the England captain 😉

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good little watch, to be fair, it really does seem outsiders and pundits think we've had a good window.

Are we just greedy?

With Ornstein , also bigs up the owners and ambitions etc.

Interestingly also mentions, that he thinks Dean will come under pressure if results don't come.

EDIT: The other bloke says he doesn't think Dean Smith will be under added pressure, as it's about steady progress.

So arguments for both sides in there.

Commentary the last 2 games have been praising our business as well. I think people on here just want a reason to have a go at the manager or have a go at the board 

Just now, stewiek2 said:

We must really rate these kids coming through.

Yep... And I'm perfectly OK with that 

Chuk, Ramsey x 2, Barry, Kesler, PB, now add archer plus maybe another that I don't know or a sleeper or a younger player who will take longer, bogarde for example 

It will be disappointing if at least 3 of them don't "make it" 

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Sanson has only moved here this year. I'm sure he'll learn fluent English soon if he's not already close to that.

It's more than just learning the language though. Sometimes people and their families don't settle. Even more so during a global pandemic. 

Sorry - but how can you be sure a player will learn fluent English ?

A few points

People keep saying it is a net negative spend but transfer fees are only a part of it. Buendia, Bailey and Ings will all be on a fair whack.

I think we may have a more consistent season this year but perhaps not such a good run without he can't be named. He did miss usually at least 3 months of each season which is quite difficult to build an entire team around.

I wouldn't be surprised if we  dust ourselves down and go again in the January window. Cantwell hasn't signed  a new contract and if Norwich already looked doomed by then they might cut their losses and sell him for £10-15 mil.

Edited by The Fun Factory

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Sanson has only moved here this year. I'm sure he'll learn fluent English soon if he's not already close to that.

It's more than just learning the language though. Sometimes people and their families don't settle. Even more so during a global pandemic. 

Definitely won't be too harsh on Sanson as like you say it's early days for him. It's about perception though that if a player can't learn the language he can't fully connect to the fans and you would assume to his team mates too. Like I said, I don't want to get at them, it's just my observation based on their social media output.

It's a good window for Villa.

Improved the first-team and with a little more depth to the squad, in this sense I think we are stronger without 'he who shall not be named'.

Interestingly many pundits have echoed this and commented Villa have made some good signings but they always mention every player except Bailey; seems he has escaped a few out there.

If we can get them all fit for the end of the year and Christmas/New Year I think we'll be stronger.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

That to me seemed like "little Aston villa ticking over nicely"  rather than us being big guns this season.

I didn't see it like that at all.

Not sure how us not being " big guns this season " = that?

If anything, they are saying the owners are extremely ambitious, and we are moving in the right direction to be " big guns ".

We can take it how we want individually i guess.

• Like 2

6/10 (average) window for me. I think we replaced Jack well and replaced Taylor/Elmo. But that’s it. I don’t think too many would of been happy, if Grealish is would of stayed, to only bring in Young and no one else. Overall made the best of a bad situation but not done enough for me to improve on last season. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are we just greedy?

With Ornstein , Robbie Earl and others, also bigs up the owners and ambitions etc.

Interestingly also mentions, that he thinks Dean will come under pressure if results don't come.

Mentions the Academy and that we have some very good youth coming through, which we will see grow over the course of the season.

EDIT: The other bloke says he doesn't think Dean Smith will be under added pressure, as it's about steady progress.

So arguments for both sides in there.

On the Dean Smith pressure side of things I don’t think these owners will pull the plug really hastily, but I do think if we go through a poor run of maybe 5-6 games without a win then they’ll get impatient. Sadly, I think he will lose fan approval before the owners.

edit: just to be clear, I am a huge DS fan and don’t want him sacked!

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

On the Dean Smith pressure side of things I don’t think these owners will pull the plug really hastily, but I do think if we go through a poor run of maybe 5-6 games without a win then they’ll get impatient. Sadly, I think he will lose fan approval before the owners.

edit: just to be clear, I am a huge DS fan and don’t want him sacked!

Well according to some fans he hasn't really done much at Villa 🙄😂😂

As alluded to we have spent millions on the academy for that to be a success we need to have players graduating to the 1st team.  This saves us a fortune and also signals to the next wonderkid come to Villa this is what happens.

This season is going to be interesting with the kids around the 1st team and how they are used.  We have bought well to compliment the team and have promoted the kids that show they have the minerals.

I think it's a real test of the process and I am excited by it.  Will it propel us into Europe probably not this year but there is a plan in place and we have the money should that plan fail.

Good times.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry - but how can you be sure a player will learn fluent English ?

I can't be, but French people Sansons age learn English in school and the Prem has a long history of French players and I can't think of one who didn't learn English after a few seasons here.

I think South Americans can struggle often due to poor education in large parts of the Continent and English not being taught in schools etc. 

Also settling in England when all your family are in SA vs a train ride away in France is also a big factor. 

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

I can't be, but French people Sansons age learn English in school and the Prem has a long history of French players and I can't think of one who didn't learn English after a few seasons here.

I think South Americans can struggle often due to poor education in large parts of the Continent and English not being taught in schools etc. 

Also settling in England when all your family are in SA vs a train ride away in France is also a big factor. 

Guilbert barely spoke any English