Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Would just be a shame because we always seem to Stop one player too soon or not high enough quality each window.

2019: Only having Wesley up front

Jan 2020: Only Samatta up front

2020: Barkley over say Buendia or Benrahma

Jan 2021: Was a tough window to be fair but didn't lighten the load on Jack which bit us in the backside, 

2021: CM of some description

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

We were done with permanent signings after Ings mate.

There hasn't been a proper link since JWP signed his new deal at Southampton. 

There wasn't really a link to Ings apart from the betting odds shortening massively though so I wouldn't rule it out.  We must still have some budget left if we were still bidding for Ward-Prowse.  I think it's a case of looking for one midfielder of real quality if available, if they're not then we will just hold back the money for a later date (probably for when JWP's release clause comes into play 😉).  Therefore I wouldn't rule out McKennie but again I'm not sure how much he would want to join us at this stage.

43 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Seems all I read are he's going to Spurs for around £40m. Then Palace, Villa, Everton interested too. We won't be signing him

The UK articles say spurs, but we're touted as the most likely destination in quite a few of the articles over here. Price €45m, so roughly £40m. You'd think Spurs were the more likely if they're going to meet the asking price.

It was Football Insider with teh first round of stories about AEG, still can't find anything on the Italian side that does not quote the FI articles as a source. If Roma were in for him the Italian press would have something about it.

Just now, romavillan said:

It was Football Insider with teh first round of stories about AEG, still can't find anything on the Italian side that does not quote the FI articles as a source. If Roma were in for him the Italian press would have something about it.

Possibly, but FI have got a few things right recently with our youngsters. It’s probably complete bullshit on the basis you’d be insane to pay £15m for him, but if that happens, it would be an unbelievable deal for us. 

27 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Would just be a shame because we always seem to Stop one player too soon or not high enough quality each window.

2019: Only having Wesley up front

Jan 2020: Only Samatta up front

2020: Barkley over say Buendia or Benrahma

Jan 2021: Was a tough window to be fair but didn't lighten the load on Jack which bit us in the backside, 

2021: CM of some description

Spot on.

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Why would it make your day?

Because I don’t rate him at all, we only paid half that amount for him and it means we can reinvest on a much better player or bring through JPB (who may already be better). 

He won’t have a higher value to us than he does at this very moment. The club would be daft not to get rid. When Traore, Bailey, Buendia and Watkins are back, he’ll struggle to make the bench. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Because I don’t rate him at all, we only paid half that amount for him and it means we can reinvest on a much better player or bring through JPB (who may already be better). 

He won’t have a higher value to us than he does at this very moment. The club would be daft not to get rid. When Traore, Bailey, Buendia and Watkins are back, he’ll struggle to make the bench. 

Fair enough. As long as we 100% get another player in. Losing him without replacing him is definitely not what's required.

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrim said:

Fair enough. As long as we 100% get another player in. Losing him without replacing him is definitely not what's required.

Yeh, to be fair, he does need replacing if we sell. But don’t get me started on that. I don’t think we’ve replaced Grealish properly yet! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Because I don’t rate him at all, we only paid half that amount for him and it means we can reinvest on a much better player or being through JPB (who may already be better). 

Not yet, the barrow game somewhat showed that. AEG played far batter and he was barely trying, JPB was giving it a good go and wasn’t as good. 

there is no doubt JPB will be better. Just not yet 

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, to be fair, he does need replacing if we sell. But don’t get me started on that. I don’t think we’ve replaced Grealish properly yet! 

We'll see. Buendia and Bailey are still settling in and will take up most of the slack, if not all, or better. And the emerging youth could mean Grealish is very quickly forgotten.
Would I like an outrageous talent to come in who is a direct replacement. Hell yes, we're all greedy. But we have to start thinking about squad berths now, including those allocated to our best youth players.

If selling El Ghazi meant there's room for a good CDM or genuine box to box CM, 100% do it. But despite his limitations, AEG does contribute a fair few goals (mostly pens, I know, but they still count). He's easily worth £15m in todays market. I wouldn't give him away, or sell him at all unless there's somebody coming in we can use immediately.

A negative outlay for this window is completely unacceptable, IMO. 

Owners have hardly put a foot wrong so far, let's hope they continue to invest in the project. 

We need a dominating ball winning DM and a left winger who can challenge for the starting job.