Ramos on a free - Big Yes

Sancho - big yes

Varane - Big yes

Depay on a free - Big yes

Bailey - yes

Daka - Big yes

Tammy - yes

Those are just some of the bargains i can think off

Interesting calling Grealish, Lukaku and Sancho “bargains”.

Also listing free transfers is weird. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:
10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

if man city got Kane for 120m - yes

Grealish-  yes.. if there wasn't a clause, we could of got 120m

Lukaku - yes

Messi on a free - Big yes

Ramos on a free - Big Yes

Sancho - big yes

Varane - Big yes

Depay on a free - Big yes

Bailey - yes

Daka - Big yes

Tammy - yes

Those are just some of the bargains i can think off

I definitely think this is where we have to respectfully disagree. 

Just an example of my logic. Lukaku: 97.5m and 11m a year for a 5 yr contract. He is 28 years old. Yes he will be great for the next couple of years but after that the risks are high. Chelsea are committed to 163.5m for Lukaku. That is one player. Chelsea revenue is about 450m. 163m for a 28 year old is not a buyers market 

Just now, bobzy said:

Interesting calling Grealish, Lukaku and Sancho “bargains”.

Also listing free transfers is weird. 

In normal non covid times (and release clause), they would of cost more, or unavailable 

And the frees was there because Peter brought up Messi, as well as simply being available for free. So many top players being available on free has to do with covid too, surely  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

And the frees was there because Peter brought up Messi, as well as simply being available for free. So many top players being available on free has to do with covid too, surely  

Messi has had a 12 month contract for a long time, nothing to do with Covid. Also, there are always big name free transfers every year. Getting yourself to a position of being out of contract is the dream for most elite players. They can then demand silly wages and sign on fee. 

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I definitely think this is where we have to respectfully disagree. 

Just an example of my logic. Lukaku: 97.5m and 11m a year for a 5 yr contract. He is 28 years old. Yes he will be great for the next couple of years but after that the risks are high. Chelsea are committed to 163.5m for Lukaku. That is one player. Chelsea revenue is about 450m. 163m for a 28 year old is not a buyers market 

Why are you bring up contracts, to back up your agument?
That comes after the purchase.. the Selling club wouldn't give two hoots to what the contract is after the sale.

But Lukaku is a good player to discuss here. If Inter wasn't broke and ruined by covid, lukaku would be simply unavailable to purchase. However, he was and it fell in to Chelsea's hand.. They got one of the worlds best strikers, fills a home grown quota, maybe a club grown quota too (not sure on that tbf)  for less than a Grealish. great deal on the terms of the purchase alone   

31 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Messi has had a 12 month contract for a long time, nothing to do with Covid. Also, there are always big name free transfers every year. Getting yourself to a position of being out of contract is the dream for most elite players. They can then demand silly wages and sign on fee. 

Messi had a new deal in place to stay a Barcelona, but it fell through, because they couldn't reduce the wage bill down by selling players, because no one was buying. 

lots of clubs are trying to sell players to balance the covid hit books, but they cant because the buyers wont/can't pay the prices. So how are the books going to get balanced? the selling clubs have to reduce the prices, make unavailable players available, or both.. in large (not all), the sellers are the ones forced to step down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Sorry but are you honestly saying you would turn your nose up at having Messi in a Villa shirt for 50m?  Even for just 1 season?  Hes worth WAY more than that in merchandise and sponsorship without what he adds 9n the pitch.

I'd take the hand, arm, and whole body of the person offering that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:
1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Why are you bring up contracts, to back up your agument?
That comes after the purchase.. the Selling club wouldn't give two hoots to what the contract is after the sale.

The reason I am brining up contracts to back up my argument is because the contract is a very significant part of the purchase of a player. It is naive to thing otherwise. 

26 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Messi had a new deal in place to stay a Barcelona, but it fell through,

Messi's contract was a recurring 12 months. He left on a free because Barca could not afford his wages, not because it fell through,  and PSG paid 25m sign on fee and 25m a year for 2 years. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Sorry but are you honestly saying you would turn your nose up at having Messi in a Villa shirt for 50m?  Even for just 1 season?  Hes worth WAY more than that in merchandise and sponsorship without what he adds 9n the pitch.

He is not worth way more than that. The vast majority of shirt sales (circa 90%) goes to the manufacturer of the shirt (Nike etc Adidas etc). How would Messi bring more that 50m in extra revenue to Villa in 1 season? We would not get more people attending Villa Park as it is sold out so no extra revenue there. We would have got a marginal increase in commission from our sponsors but where would we have got the massive increase in revenue?

• Like 1