Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

On 03/04/2021 at 19:20, tinker said:

Matheus Pereira.

Decent shout.  Heard good things.  Certainly delivered yesterday!  Could him and Olise compete for the no. 10 jersey?

My west brom supporting mate says that their holding midfielder - Yokuslu, who is a Turkish international, I believe, on loan from Celta Vigo - is their best player and should stay firmly in the PL.  Says he gets his foot in.  I haven't seen much of him.  Anybody else seen him at all.

Edited by barry'sboots

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

We get 20/25  league games a season out of him we win 15 of them very good but injury prone player.

I loved him when he was on loan at Palace. Thought he was superb. 

He has a lot of attributes that we lack in the squad. But yeah his injuries are a concern. His wages would be huge as well I'd imagine.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I loved him when he was on loan at Palace. Thought he was superb. 

He has a lot of attributes that we lack in the squad. But yeah his injuries are a concern. His wages would be huge as well I'd imagine.

I don't think wages are a concern for us going forwards. Can we take a risk on his fitness. I really like him as a player who I was hoping Barkley would be. But alas not to be.

It's going to be expensive. 

We need 2 new wingers, another striker, a creative midfielder and defensive cover/improvements. 

The good thing is we've finally got some saleable assets. I would clear out ElGhazi and Trezeguet and in truth Traore as well but shipping out all 3 might be too much. 

Hourihane obviously, Engels.  They should at least bring in a good few millions to help fund what we need. 

Need to recruit better than we have though. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's going to be expensive. 

We need 2 new wingers, another striker, a creative midfielder and defensive cover/improvements. 

The good thing is we've finally got some saleable assets. I would clear out ElGhazi and Trezeguet and in truth Traore as well but shipping out all 3 might be too much. 

Hourihane obviously, Engels.  They should at least bring in a good few millions to help fund what we need. 

Need to recruit better than we have though. 

I think we've recruited pretty well. Recruited a lot of players who have gone on to be excellent (Martinez, Cash, Targett, Konsa, Watkins, etc)  and the ones that haven't have at least retained some value - we didn't even lose that much on Samatta!

If 50% of our new recruits become established first teamers as we move up the league then I think the recruitment team has done well.

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think we've recruited pretty well. Recruited a lot of players who have gone on to be excellent (Martinez, Cash, Targett, Konsa, Watkins, etc)  and the ones that haven't have at least retained some value - we didn't even lose that much on Samatta!

If 50% of our new recruits become established first teamers as we move up the league then I think the recruitment team has done well.

Sorry, I should have clarified I think our poor recruitment has been in midfield and forward positions.  Defensive recruitment has been excellent. 

32 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Decent shout.  Heard good things.  Certainly delivered yesterday!  Could him and Olise compete for the no. 10 jersey?

My west brom supporting mate says that their holding midfielder - Yokuslu, who is a Turkish international, I believe, on loan from Celta Vigo - is their best player and should stay firmly in the PL.  Says he gets his foot in.  I haven't seen much of him.  Anybody else seen him at all.

He was a good player in Spain for Vigo but stagnated a bit but certainly seems to have hit the ground running for West Brom.

Not convinced as others we'll be getting in a new defensive midfielder this summer.

You realise even more that some of.our players, are better as impact players. Meanwhile they have alot to contribute to the squad overall, they probably shouldn't necessarily be starters.

I'm inclined to file the likes of Traore under that category and maybe even Sanson ( Obviously I know he hasn't had time yet ) under that category, Maybee even Davis?

Obviously this could all change in the run in and next season.

Either way, we need starters in those positions. Our current starters are good enough for the bench in our next phase/season of transition IMO.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sorry, I should have clarified I think our poor recruitment has been in midfield and forward positions.  Defensive recruitment has been excellent. 

Ah, yeah, then I'm inclined to agree with you. I think Watkins has been a good buy and Traore will be a good squad player going forwards, but we do need to find another top-class player on the wings or up front over the summer.

No issues with the back 5 at all, the front 6 though apart from Grealish are all replaceable at this point. There’s definitely better out there than McGinn and Luiz, I was hoping it could be Sanson but it doesn’t seem like he’s the guy:

52 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Been impressed with him, strong and decent passer but don't think he's a player to push us to the next level, same with perreira, decent players though.

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has it though?  

We had roughly 20 million to spend on 2 wingers when we came up. Trez and El Ghazi were perfectly acceptable for the price we paid.  
They aren’t great, but decent enough for a newly promoted Premier League team.

Just because we have now out-grown them, doesn’t mean they were bad acquisitions at the time.

Also £3mill(?) for McGinn and £15m for Luiz have both been good for their respective prices.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You realise even more that some of.our players, are better as impact players. Meanwhile they have alot to contribute to the squad overall, they probably shouldn't necessarily be starters.

I'm inclined to file the likes of Traore under that category and maybe even Sanson ( Obviously I know he hasn't had time yet ) under that category, Maybee even Davis?

Obviously this could all change in the run in and next season.

Either way, we need starters in those positions. Our current starters are good enough for the bench in our next phase/season of transition IMO.

Excellent point well made.

We need two wide forwards who will give us Ollie Watkins level of energy. Ive been watching the games on every TV channel attentively recently and it's the wide players who do the work off the ball that create the openings. We need some more pace and technical ability out wide. Someone like fernandinho/fabinho too would be perfect.

• Like 2