Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

The human brain generally skews to extrapolating short term patterns. Statistically there’s absolutely no reason to use a couple of data points to make long run conclusions. The theory is that this kind of behavior was probably an advantage to our ancestors. Lion tries to kill you, be afraid of lions forever (I’m still afraid of Hercules to this day). Anyhow, there’s a great book on this called Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow.

Point being - we’re generally wired up to take small amounts of info and make big wide ranging conclusions that we really shouldn’t be when applied to modern (non sub Saharan African) life. In other words, I should stop getting annoyed with all these one result pessimists because they are just acting in line with their genetics. Funny enough though, I can’t haha.

Our midfield deficiencies have been clear for all to see over the last 24 months. People expressing concern on the topic isn’t short termist, nor is it overly pessimistic, it’s realistic.

We’ve just lost to a team that will almost certainly be relegated. A team that, once again, exposed our weaknesses in midfield. As much as you’re annoyed by the ‘overreaction’ on here, I get slightly annoyed by the posters telling people who are accurately criticising the squads failures, that they’re overreacting. 

Whether you want to accept it or not, we’ve been very much a one man team for the last 3 years. I’d argue Grealish is the only reason we came up and then stopped up. He’s not here anymore and I apologise if I’m expressing slight concern that we haven’t improved as a team with our transfer dealings to date. 

Be my guest though. If you want to ignore the ‘couple of data points’ and pretend we’re a more balanced and improved squad from last year, that’s fine too. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Koopmeiners didn't play for AZ Alkmaar yesterday. They're due to play Celtic on Wednesday and speculation building again after being left out yesterday that he's about to secure a move.

He was close to joining Atalanta earlier on in the summer but it fell through or neevr came to fruition. Think the hype died down around him as many casually assumed he'd completed his move. Would still be a good signing I think. Although not really the out and out DM we probably need.

We aren't linked so probably not coming here but interesting to see where he ends up

He’s not really a DM but actually if I think about it he’s basically JWP regen but bigger and stronger.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No it's not. 

There were people talking about relegation, that there's no chance of Europe, that Buendia is shit, that the squad is massively unbalanced, that the manager doesn't have a plan, that Ings was a panic signing

The OTT reactions during and after that game were not in the slightest bit realistic.

On the points I’ve highlighted, I think there were a fair few people, me included, who had those concerns before the Watford result and would still have them even if we’d scraped a win. Time will tell.

I agree that reactions were OTT but I do think we will pay for our rubbish pre season for a couple of months before we finally find our way forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

We may not be good enough this year to meet our aspirations (we will see), but stating the owners and the board expect it as some sort of KPI is a leap too far - you have nothing to assume that.

If they don't invest any money (currently net £0)then they can't expect anything more than last season. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No it's not. 

There were people talking about relegation, that there's no chance of Europe, that Buendia is shit, that the squad is massively unbalanced, that the manager doesn't have a plan, that Ings was a panic signing

The OTT reactions during and after that game were not in the slightest bit realistic.

All perfectly reasonable concerns. 

8 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If they don't invest any money (currently net £0)then they can't expect anything more than last season. 

that's where i am at too - i think the squad is better overall but its still not a top 6 squad, therefore they shouldn't expect top 6, sounds simple because it is, this squad isn't better than spurs or leicesters

leaves us competing for the 7th and final spot which is a lottery, there will be at least 6 clubs eyeing up that position, all of them as inconsistent as the other, us, leeds, west ham, arsenal, wolves, everton, probably at least 1 surprise team too and in the context of the first weekend it might not be that surprising that the only away team from that group to get a result was west ham the best from that group last season, i wouldnt say our result was worse than arsenal's or leeds either 

9 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

I’m going to throw one out there - I’d like us to sign Lingaard.

Him and a DM and we’d be sorted. 

to me its telling that not even west ham are that strongly linked with him

he'll go the same way as axel and be duped by a utd promise of a chance this season

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

All perfectly reasonable concerns. 

After 1 game? No, they're really not. It's a massive over reaction as usual when we don't win a game. 

1 game. I can't repeat this enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

After 1 game? No, they're really not. It's a massive over reaction as usual when we don't win a game. 

1 game. I can't repeat this enough. 

And I can’t repeat enough that most people aren’t being negative because of 1 game. 

People are concerned that we’ve been poor in midfield for 2 years and it hasn’t been addressed. People are concerned that perhaps we have signed some good players but without a plan and they all tend to favour playing in the same position.

The Watford game, I agree, is just one game. But surely it can’t be completely ignored? We were 3 nil down at one point to a side that has just been promoted and with a fan base who are positive they have no hope of survival. 

Like I say, my concerns are not based on the Watford game (albeit it’s a worry), they’re based on what I wrote in the second paragraph. I don’t think we’ve done enough to improve on our 11th place finish last year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

And I can’t repeat enough that most people aren’t being negative because of 1 game. 

People are concerned that we’ve been poor in midfield for 2 years and it hasn’t been addressed. People are concerned that perhaps we have signed some good players but without a plan and they all tend to favour playing in the same position.

The Watford game, I agree, is just one game. But surely it can’t be completely ignored? We were 3 nil down at one point to a side that has just been promoted and with a fan base who are positive they have no hope of survival. 

Like I say, my concerns are not based on the Watford game (albeit it’s a worry), they’re based on what I wrote in the second paragraph. I don’t think we’ve done enough to improve on our 11th place finish last year. 

So your concern and negativity are based on not just 1 game but the previous years?

Those years where no other football club in the country progressed as much as we have? That's what's got you all worried? Massive progression and improvements. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So your concern and negativity are based on not just 1 game but the previous years?

Those years where no other football club in the country progressed as much as we have? That's what's got you all worried? Massive progression and improvements. 

You don’t half have a knack for turning something I’ve said into making it sound like it’s all doom and gloom!

In those previous years we had one of the best players in the world. We’ve progressed and improved because of this and spending a lot of money. I think we’ve done enough to stand still this season but not to improve much. 

Is that fair?

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You don’t half have a knack for turning something I’ve said into making it sound like it’s all doom and gloom!

In those previous years we had one of the best players in the world. We’ve progressed and improved because of this and spending a lot of money. I think we’ve done enough to stand still this season but not to improve much. 

Is that fair?

I think the 2nd paragraph is fair. But you didn't say that, you post like everything is doom and gloom at times.