Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Ward-Prowse isn't a defensive midfielder, Romeu is Southampton's DM, if people think we have a problem with teams walking through our midfield he wouldn't be the one to fix that particular problem.

Funny thing with Ward-Prowse and the pining for us to sign him, is that in terms of style of play he's quite similar to the type of midfielders that typically get criticized on here for being 'nothing players', that is he's more of a Westwood, Winks, Will Hughes type, it's his set piecs that set him apart and then it becomes a question of whether his set piece skills make him worth the money.

But can pretty much guarantee that if he was to sign and he went a couple of games without scoring or assisting people would start complaining that he isn't offering enough for the money we paid for him.

That last paragraph goes for any new signing, unfortunately. 

I agree with the rest though. 

I think most people agree that JWP would improve us, but have doubts about whether that improvement would be enough for £50m.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

The Villa website describes Sanson as attacking midfield so no DM.

Sanson picks up some goals but he hasn't been an attacking midfielder in the true sense of the term since he left Montpellier. At OM, he steadily became more box-to-box and took on more defensive duties, to the point where he was one of the top pressers in Europe when we signed him. Very much an all-action harrier.

McKennie is a wrecking ball, with all the good and bad that comes with it. Wouldn't fix our passing problem, but would definitely add presence we lack and can play just about everywhere on the pitch if needed.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Signing JWP would be great but I’m still waiting for the club to unearth that gem for 5-10m. 

I’m not saying that it’s in any way easy to do that, but I was under the impression when hiring McKenzie that we’d spend big but then throw in a couple of gems from abroad that would turn into the next Kante/Mahrez.

I really hope we can shift Nakamba, El Ghazi, Wesley and Hourihane before the window shuts and bring in a couple of central midfielders. 

This would be perfect.

Bring in Damsgaard, Doucoure and JWP/Cantwell for a net spend of circa £40m and we would look so much stronger imho.

A player like Ward-Prowse would be more vulnerable to criticism if he's not scoring or assisting, because if you take those things away from his game you've basically got a midfielder that keeps things simple and in general play doesn't stand out as particularly good offensively or defensively, he's like a better version of Westwood, as I said the type of midfielder that often gets criticized on here - often unfairly so.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I had to Google him as never heard of him… but good enough for Juventus… good enough for me!

We were also after him last summer I think.

A few of us wanted him before he went to Juve.

A better representation of an ALL round midfielder for me, if that is the route we intend to go, with our setup.

IMO

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

14 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Martinez needs to play further forward to give the defence some protection or we’re nailed on to go down by the end of January. 

Or we could bring in David Marshall and promote him ahead of Martinez - he is used to playing the defensive midfielder keeper role!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

A player like Ward-Prowse would be more vulnerable to criticism if he's not scoring or assisting, because if you take those things away from his game you've basically got a midfielder that keeps things simple and in general play doesn't stand out as particularly good offensively or defensively, he's like a better version of Westwood, as I said the type of midfielder that often gets criticized on here - often unfairly so.

You mean he’s the new Gareth Barry? We could use that player. 

Thing is you don’t have to take his set-piece ability away when considering him, it’s a key part of the game we totally stink at. 

• Like 2

I know people are deadset against it, but we could and possibly should have a complete overhaul of our midfield in this window if we can. 
With the money we have at our disposal we could really transform our team. Sell Nakamba, loan out Hourihane, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka. There will be clubs queuing up for Ramsey and Chuk. Then go out and buy two top quality central midfielders. 

• Like 1

Aston Villa are out of the running to sign Will Hughes who prefers to join Man City to win trophies. City have declined to comment. 

Ex Villa star Leandro Bacuna is hoping to join Hughes at City, both are very ambitious and believe City is the place to be to win things.

• Haha 3

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm expressing surprise at the clamour to sign him given that he's the type of midfieder that people typically don't rate on here, when I compare him to the likes of Westwood, Winks, Will Hughes and so on that isn't a criticism as I think they're good players but those kind of players often go under appreciated.

Although I would say he isn't worth £50m and I highly dout we or anyone else will play anywhere near that for him, if he does leave Southampton and the fee is reported as that much then I suspect much of it will be based on his performances meeting certain clauses.

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

We turned down Ronaldo. ESR is still desperate to come here. Arsenal sold us Emi to part fund Ramsdale. Damsgaard has been mentioned, so has JWP occasionally.  @nick76 and @Dave-R are on their way to Rome. That's it.

Yes cya later VT peeps I'm off to Rome for a holiday and some Pie.

I think we will regret not going for Tammy and time will tell on that I spose.

• Haha 2

Just now, Okonokos said:

McKennie would be a seriously incredible signing. Exactly what we need. Have we been linked or just discussing him?

Just that it was reported that Juventus wouldn't be averse to selling him, after the signing of Locatelli etc.

Report also says they have had offers from clubs which they are considering.

We were after him last summer, and I wanted him.

Nothing exclusively linking us right now. lol

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, useless said:

Just a thought, it could be argued that JWP would actually stand out, even without the goals and assists, as he’d help us to keep the ball. At the moment we have a massive tendency to give the ball away in midfield, if he can pass accurately and knows how to find space and move into it, that will put him in the spotlight for me. 

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I had to Google him as never heard of him… but good enough for Juventus… good enough for me!

There's a reason why they're selling him though, and that's because they don't think he is good enough for them.

16 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yes cya later VT peeps I'm off to Rome for a holiday and some Pie.

I think we will regret not going for Tammy and time will tell on that I spose.

You won't be finding much pie over here dude. Tiella, yes, if you mooch down the coast a bit, but pie no.

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Just a thought, it could be argued that JWP would actually stand out, even without the goals and assists, as he’d help us to keep the ball. At the moment we have a massive tendency to give the ball away in midfield, if he can pass accurately and knows how to find space and move into it, that will put him in the spotlight for me. 

This is very important. We have some very talented strikers/wingers but if we don’t really control the ball in midfield or have the ability to release the talent we have up front, we’ll never get the proper value out of them. 

There’s a reason why the likes of Burnley play deep and defensive football, clogging up the midfield and breaking up play. They don’t have the creative players in midfield or up front, so when they go forward they bypass the midfield and rely on long balls and set pieces. By having a deeper play maker we can get more out of the talent in front of him. Taking a good free kick would be a nice change too. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

There's a reason why they're selling him though, and that's because they don't think he is good enough for them.

Seem to remember that one of the players we'd been linked with last couple of years had attitude issues, I'm probably wrong but I think it was this guy.