Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

45 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I posted in the Ross Barkley thread in Other Football, I saw him at Costa Coffee takeout last week. He was in his car with his girlfriend or wife, so I didn’t think it was a good idea to approach him. On that basis, I wouldn’t rule out signing, just remember the start of last season, he was brilliant 

Indeed Sir Gary.  And his loss of form was the most disappointing part of last season.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Playing as a second striker is completely different role to playing as a No.10 or attacking midfielder. We haven't signed Ings to play as a No.10, if we wanted to buy a No.10 you can be sure we would not have bought Ings for the role, we would have bought someone who actually specializes in that position.

Can Watkins and Ings play the same roles regardless of formation that Son and Kane do at Spurs and if not why not?

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I was aware of that, thanks for clearing it up though 

Honestly with some of the crackpot opinions and theories in this place you never know lol.

Especially after the summer we've had!

6 minutes ago, Liam100 said:

Indeed Sir Gary.  And his loss of form was the most disappointing part of last season.  

Agreed but him and the team were never going to keep that form up for the whole season. We simply just didn’t have the strength in depth but with the signings that we have made this Summer, I think we might do now, do you Liam100?

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Playing as a second striker is completely different role to playing as a No.10 or attacking midfielder. We haven't signed Ings to play as a No.10, if we wanted to buy a No.10 you can be sure we would not have bought Ings for the role, we would have bought someone who actually specializes in that position.

Ings, in a recent interview, has talked about playing in a “false nine” position. This is really how Firmino plays for Liverpool. They start as a nominal 4-3-3 but Firmino gets the ball in a withdrawn position and tries to play in either Salah or Mane. Modern football requires fluid play so I think it can be misleading to think only in terms of rigid formations. 

• Like 2

On 07/08/2021 at 01:48, Kiwivillan said:

Can't wait until we start season without "a proper DM" and then we'll win a game with Nakamba and people will go great game MOTM for me like they did after Spurs and Chelsea game then we will lose a game and people will say this is what happens because we didn't buy "a proper DM" like I said we should and then we'll play a game with no "proper DM" and win 5-0 and people will say mmm what beautiful attacking football

"Great game, MOTM for me (for the 14th games in a row) just wish he could PaSs A bIt BeTtEr"

• Like 2

Just now, useless said:

A false 9 or how Firmino plays for Liverpool is a completey different role to a No.10, even if they operate in similar areas of the pitch.

Yes I agree and this why I don’t think Ings will play as No. 10 in the way people think about Barclay etc.. We could easily line up: Watkins, Ings, Bailey (front three as Liverpool) with three midfielders behind - say Buendia, McGinn, Nakamba/Luiz - but I would prefer a top DM in place of N/L. End result a very fluid 4-3-3 with no fixed No.10 but we will have to wait to see what Dean decides to do.

• Like 1