Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Meh.

I think we need a whole new midfield bud.

Neither McGinn, Ramsey or Luiz is next level.

Even if we sign a new DM i would still worry about our midfield.

Our keeper is great. Defence is great. Frontline is great. But that midfield is really bugging me

Not sure I feel as strongly as you, but our central midfield is the weakest area of the team--by far.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Meh.

I think we need a whole new midfield bud.

Neither McGinn, Ramsey or Luiz is next level.

Even if we sign a new DM i would still worry about our midfield.

Our keeper is great. Defence is great. Frontline is great. But that midfield is really bugging me

If we sign a wide player (Bailey) then that means Buendia will play as the 10 - leaving two to fill. A new defensive midfielder means Sanson/McGinn/Luiz/Nakamba will be fighting it out for that remaining spot. 

In a perfect world we'd sign 2 new midfielders but we're just not going to do that. Bailey and a new defensive midfielder and we'll be fine this season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Can’t see a def mid coming in as we signed two last year. 

Did we? Who? We signed Cash Watkins Martinez Traore Sanson last year. None of those are def mids. Sanson certainly isn't

Edited by Kiwivillan

I mean you can argue all you like about where you think Dougie's best position is or why he hasn't hit the heights of "project restart" but I don't think there's any doubt in Smith and the coaching teams minds that he's the player they want protecting the back 4. He certainly has quality, it's consistency he lacks which will partly be down to his age I'm sure. 

I think under Smith, Nakamba against stronger teams is about as defensive as our midfielders will get. They all work hard and track back anyway. 

All signs point towards us keeping faith with him. This is a guy we were worried we'd be losing to Man City 12 months ago when he had only just turned 22. 

For context, if you don't include the Liverpool 3rd round match, the only player younger than him to start a game for us last season was Jacob Ramsey. and the only people off the bench were Chuk and JPB in the last couple of games for like 30 seconds. 

The one transfer rumour that's irked me this summer is the link with the 18yo lad from ligue 1 who's a DM, I don't think signing a teenager for the DM spot to replace another of the youngest members of our squad is a sensible idea. We already have a talented lad in the role who has now got a couple of seasons under his belt with us.

I think we either stick with him or bring in an experienced DM who can hit the ground running if we sign anyone. Someone like a Cambiasso at Leicester. The player that springs to mind is Fernandinho but that's pie in the sky thinking. 

Coquelin? Schneiderlin? Lucas Leiva? Capoue? 

Just to name a few who might consider us who have incredible experience and have played both at the top level in Europe and previously in the Prem. Think any of them improve us short term and give Dougie time to continue developing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

Hearing from a Watford mate of mine that he thinks Will Hughes to us is happening. 

Don't really think we need him, unless he is a squad player to replace Hourihane. But then I thought that's why we brought in Sanson.

That signing just doesn't make sense.

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Don't really think we need him, unless he is a squad player to replace Hourihane. But then I thought that's why we brought in Sanson.

That signing just doesn't make sense.

i think it does. need to put pressure on mcginn to perform and be nice to send JJ on loan too, as i don't think he's ready. a perfectly acceptable addition to the squad IMO

• Like 1

I do find it frustrating to read when players are slagged off before they’ve even joined the club, just because they aren’t who we want to sign.

Dean and the team have earned more than enough credit in my opinion for us to trust them with who they bring to the club, judge them by what they do in our shirt.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I think people would be pleasantly surprised at how good Will Hughes is. I bet he'd turn out to be better than McGinn and Sanson. 

agreed i think he's always looked decent whenever i've seen him...admittedly that's not much though

Will Hughes is a decent footballer, and he can play a few different positions. If we were to sell Hourihane and loan Ramsey he'd be an upgrade in the squad for sure. He's not one of those exciting 'next level' type signings people want, but if depends why he's being signed (if this is actually true)

If he's being signed as a squad player to pressure our midfielders and strengthen the squad/bench overall then he'd be a very good signing. If however, he were being targeted as a player to take us into Europe by playing every week then frankly, he's not good enough.

• Like 1