Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I got a little worried last summer and we pulled it out the bag. Starting to get that feeling again. 

At the moment, could anyone really argue that we've significantly improved enough to say we should finish above any of those ten clubs that finished above us last year? 

Hoping these next couple of weeks change that. I'm sure they will. 

stressed mickey mouse GIF

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I got a little worried last summer and we pulled it out the bag. Starting to get that feeling again. 

At the moment, could anyone really argue that we've significantly improved enough to say we should finish above any of those ten clubs that finished above us last year? 

I think so. Barring any unfortunate injury crisis, I think we've upgraded enough to be able to finish in the top 10. We were only 4 points off top 10 last season and Leeds and West Ham are most likely going to have a drop-off compared to last season whilst Everton, Spurs and Arsenal haven't had the most stable and promising of summers.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we have currently yes. We're good enough to jump ahead of two or three at them, barring injuries.

The trouble is injuries happen and if Grealish goes, it's a troubling leap backwards.

It's everything as well, the noise around the players constantly will be "How will you cope without Grealish". It'll affect them even if they're feeling pretty good in training. Every loss for the first two months will be "Well they're in a relegation battle" if Jack goes.

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think so. Barring any unfortunate injury crisis, I think we've upgraded enough to be able to finish in the top 10. We were only 4 points off top 10 last season and Leeds and West Ham are most likely going to have a drop-off compared to last season whilst Everton, Spurs and Arsenal haven't had the most stable and promising of summers.

But that's the thing. It's more of a case of saying that some clubs might drop off, rather than we've become a much better team. 

I think there's a good chance we can finish above them, but also I'd imagine all those teams in the top half will believe they can finish above us. 

1 minute ago, beachboys1 said:

well smith said be excited he could regret that

Still plenty of time. It's more difficult to get the right targets when they are in the tier above what we have signed in the past. Players like Bailey, if true, will take a bit of time to bring in as his club want a lot of money for him, which we will always negotiate. That and the fact that he was on international duty up to now.

We've also failed in our bid to sign Smith Rowe so moving on to our other targets, meaning more negotiating.

Still hopeful of Bailey, Alvarez, and then a DM that can play CB if need be. Then it's just a GK, but would imagine we will get a free transfer for that position.

• Like 2

I think if Everton were going into this season with Smith, Young and Buendia I'd be more worried about them than if they go in with Townsend, Gray and Benitez. It's difficult, all the teams around us were much of a muchness imo. West Ham could finish 12th with the same team if they don't get momentum like last season. Arsenal aren't looking stable, Kane could leave Spurs. 

Signings aside, our club is on very solid foundations currently. No turmoil or renewal on or off the pitch. Just a squad of young players all the better for their experience last season, ready to go out and prove a point again. Nobody who we wanted anywhere near the XI has left so no weakening of the squad, with the 2 brought in being a vastly experienced winner and an incredibly talented lad who will help double our creative output. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's a tricky one. Ultimately it's Buendia who will make a difference and he obviously improves us, but at the moment I think we need at least 2 more players to really say we can aim higher than 9-12th position.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes. Buendia and Young are massive upgrades on Barkley and Elmo. Also as others stated I think some that finished above us will drop off and if we have injury free season from Grealish we'll improve on last season

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

That's a tricky one. Ultimately it's Buendia who will make a difference and he obviously improves us, but at the moment I think we need at least 2 more players to really say we can aim higher than 9-12th position.

What if Cash and Grealish stay injury free? I think we comfortably finish higher last season but for them 

Given the amount of times we dropped results from winning positions, we can certainly improve and move up the table. I think a fully fit Grealish will make a big difference - Buendia is going to be such an asset - and if we get a winger like Bailey, we are a very different team from last season. Excited to see Sanson back too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Given the amount of times we dropped results from winning positions, we can certainly improve and move up the table. I think a fully fit Grealish will make a big difference - Buendia is going to be such an asset - and if we get a winger like Bailey, we are a very different team from last season. Excited to see Sanson back too. 

A top quality defensive midfielder is the only thing missing. We will really push the top 6 if we get Bailey and a DM. 

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes. Buendia and Young are massive upgrades on Barkley and Elmo. Also as others stated I think some that finished above us will drop off and if we have injury free season from Grealish we'll improve on last season

I'm not saying we haven't improved. But we're not the only club doing so. And yes staying injury free will obviously help but other teams could say the same. 

I just don't look at our current squad and think yes this should comfortably finish above any of those teams in the top 10 last season. 

I believe we will buy more players but if European football is a realistic expectation I think we still have quite a bit of work to do.

Sanson is an unknown for us currently, he could really add something on top of any additional new signings. Most players seem to be wrapping up holidays in the next week or so and I'd imagine that will mean business will start to pick up from today onwards. I'm excited to see who we're going for, with the ESR bids and the supposed 25 mil bid for Bailey that was rejected we know we still have money to spend. I fully expect at least another couple to join before the season kicks off.

We struggled when Grealish and Cash were out, but I still feel like midfield is our weakest area. Controlling games and stopping teams walk through us has been a challenge at times. Nakamba was good in breaking up play against the better teams where we are unlikely to boss the midfield anyway, but there were a number of teams that weren’t near the top of the table that controlled the middle of park against us.
Martinez didn’t make a fantastic number of saves because of the defence. It was because of the midfield and, if anything, a lack of consistency and leadership in it.

Edited by jacketspuds

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yeah but we have to be careful re Grealish, isn’t it 4 out of the last 5 seasons he’s played less than 70% of games in each of those seasons because of injuries.  

I bet other teams look at us and think we’ll drop off.  Are we the team of the first half of the season or the second half of the season.  We’ve been promoted, survived relegation and then 11th, it’s a rapid rise and apart from adding Buendia we haven’t really added anything else.  I think we need more in before thinking of European places.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A top quality defensive midfielder is the only thing missing. We will really push the top 6 if we get Bailey and a DM. 

Meh.

I think we need a whole new midfield bud.

Neither McGinn, Ramsey or Luiz is next level.

Even if we sign a new DM i would still worry about our midfield.

Our keeper is great. Defence is great. Frontline is great. But that midfield is really bugging me

Edited by villalad21