Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Super confident Watkins won't pick up an injury so I am probably more confident regarding the striker situation than most on here.

1) You realise this is a nonsense statement because it’s not all under his control.

2) It’s not all about injuries either.  It’s form, tactics and options.  He had two long goal droughts last season and looked tired in parts of the second half of the season.

But I know your going to say he’ll play 90 minutes of all 40 odd games next season no problem because his genetics will beat any bad tackles from others and he’s super fit so no risk of muscle injuries (which is the time you can get those injuries).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Time is ticking a bit now. We need 3-4 new players for me. 

A Forward, two midfielders and I think that's it.

I don't think we need a CB as much as people suggest, he seemed to play real good yesterday Bogard did and we have Hause as well who can easy jump in there.

What positions are you thinking of that we need?

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Dunno why, but I think we'll sign McNeil over Bailey. 

He is probably more of a Smith type signing to be fair mate, hard working in defence and attack whereas Bailey does no pressing and doesn’t contribute defensively, traore actually does more off the ball work, going forward though Bailey would give us a new dimension he’s fast, skilful, scores, creates and will terrify defences

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Being active doesn't mean you're going to get the bodies in, and doesn't mean we've been chasing realistic deals. If most of our activity has been aiming for the likes of ESR, well that's ambitious but doesn't bode well for success rate does it?

Almost everything we’ve done over the last 3 years and particularly over the period since we revamped our recruitment team would suggest that we know what we’re doing. I’d also suggest that we since keep our cards pretty close to our chest that making assumptions based largely on click bait isn’t really particularly indicative of what is really happening behind the scenes. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

He is probably more of a Smith type signing to be fair mate, hard working in defence and attack whereas Bailey does no pressing and doesn’t contribute defensively, traore actually does more off the ball work, going forward though Bailey would give us a new dimension he’s fast, skilful, scores, creates and will terrify defences

Yeah, I can see him being our main target in all honesty. To which, I wouldn't be upset about. Think he's a good player. 

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah, I can see him being our main target in all honesty. To which, I wouldn't be upset about. Think he's a good player. 

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we got him but I would prefer Bailey in all honesty. He is a real joy to watch, he would need to improve his work rate though, could genuinely take us to another level

39 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

A Forward, two midfielders and I think that's it.

I don't think we need a CB as much as people suggest, he seemed to play real good yesterday Bogard did and we have Hause as well who can easy jump in there.

What positions are you thinking of that we need?

Back up GK, RW/AM, CM and back up striker. Hopefully we get all 4. I agree regarding Bogarde but an experienced loan CB happy to be back up would be ideal. 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

There’s quite a fascination with Bissouma but is he all that? 
The likes of Sangare, Zakaria, Anguissa or Kamara would all be better value and maybe offer/contribute more. I think it’s just because the spotlight was on him and people like Carragher bigged him up…

Yes, stats aren’t the be all and end all, but this isn’t incredibly impressively. He’s a good DM but he is really  worth  around 50m?

spacer.png

Check out the other guys: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kamara (only 21 and can play CB too):

spacer.png

Douglas Luiz stats are not that different to Bissouma’s… Which leads me to believe it is more the way we are set up to play and the role he is asked to perform which separates them rather than a huge gulf in ability & quality. Would Bissouma be as effective here ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Still plenty of time to bring players in and not in the slightest bit concerned given how the club has been run these last 3 years.

For me we need the following, 

Back up keeper

RCB

DCM - (please be Bissouma!)

Winger

Striker

Anything on top would be a bonus but I think these positions are vital personally.

I think we may be disappointed Trent. Personally I think we’ll only get 3 more. GK, CB,  Attacking midfielder. 

16 hours ago, Jas10 said:

TRO… Sangare, Anguissa, Kamara, Zakaria… take your pick.

Sorting out midfield is the Absolute Priority right now…

We need a leader and a guy who can dominate in there…

I just cannot see any interest from the club, in that direction.

Now I must admit, I am not privvy to their inner thoughts, but playing players with modest ability to control games, is not my idea of improving.

The same issue will exist next season.....wide open in midfield.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Douglas Luiz stats are not that different to Bissouma’s… Which leads me to believe it is more the way we are set up to play and the role he is asked to perform which separates them rather than a huge gulf in ability & quality. Would Bissouma be as effective here ? 

I get the feeling that Bissouma is quite overrated…

There are possibly better quality and definitely better value alternatives out there, no need to blow 50m+. Sangare, Anguissa or Kamara would be great.

We need a leader or real force in midfield, we’re too lightweight… None of our players fit the  ball. A Mings-type presence in midfield would help us a lot..

Here are Doug’s stats:

spacer.png

Nakamba:

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just cannot see any interest from the club, in that direction.

Now I must admit, I am not privvy to their inner thoughts, but playing players with modest ability to control games, is not my idea of improving.

The same issue will exist next season.....wide open in midfield.

Why do you think that wasn’t the case at the start of the season when we were pasting the likes of Arsenal & Liverpool and getting crucial/tight wins such as against Leicester? We didn’t have that problem until the Covid outbreak, injuries to Jack & Barkley and Barkley’s complete loss of form and uselessness upon his return…

A CAM who works hard and helps out the midfield as well as score and create would be a huge help too… maybe there is more than one solution…

I suppose we did well at the time because Doug & McGinn were constrained and forced to be more disciplined, allowing Barkley to take on the attacking responsibility….

Yeah i agree we are stepping back into that elite level after how many decades and its giving me goosebumps thinking about it, I believe he would start more often than not if he was part of those sides and we need to sell him the idea and vision that we are challenging for champions league football (i dare to say it) however we most likely fall short of that but top six aim wont be enough for him so we have to sell him the champions league idea.

El Ghazi i cant say a bad word about him however if we want to progress quickly he cant be involved heavily anymore but i still expect to see him feature here and there and as for Trezeguet its highly unlikely that we see him in the claret and blue ever again imo... scored some important goals for us but he’s nowhere near good enough. KD is certainly not good enough and should be shipped out. Bailey and a Yaya Toure type quality midfielder in the centre of the park would give us a significant push  

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

The game isn’t played on paper, from what I’ve seen of Bissouma, he looks good but not worth the quoted figures. I think we could get better value elsewhere, maybe abroad

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Yeah i agree we are stepping back into that elite level after how many decades and its giving me goosebumps thinking about it, I believe he would start more often than not if he was part of those sides and we need to sell him the idea and vision that we are challenging for champions league football (i dare to say it) however we most likely fall short of that but top six aim wont be enough for him so we have to sell him the champions league idea.

El Ghazi i cant say a bad word about him however if we want to progress quickly he cant be involved heavily anymore but i still expect to see him feature here and there and as for Trezeguet its highly unlikely that we see him in the claret and blue ever again imo... scored some important goals for us but he’s nowhere near good enough. KD is certainly not good enough and should be shipped out. Bailey and a Yaya Toure type quality midfielder in the centre of the park would give us a significant push  

? Wrong thread?