Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Terry out…Cahill in? Short term CB cover and take on the analysis and coaching role JT did?

Would give us extra time and spare funds to sign a proper young defender the following season too…

Some people would probably hate that, but I'd be on board with this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He can play the DCM role better than any of our other options. He can tackle, uses the ball well, reads the game well and although he is not fast he can press effectively. Not earth shattering but could be a vital piece of the overall transfer jig saw.

Don't agree. He's one of Watford's better players, but I'd still pick McGinn, Sanson, Luiz or even Nakamba over him, and rather give our youngsters a go.

We're at a stage now where we must be buying quality that potentially improves the first team unless it's in a position where we obviously need cover (e.g. GK or CB). 

Just a completely pointless signing to me which is why I don't believe there's any truth in it (and if there is I'd be disappointed). 

It's a bit like Jekyll & Hyde in here, with some proclaiming we could push for Europe and win trophies in coming years, then contradicting that by saying Hughes would be a good signing.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Done a quick compare on fbref of Hughes stats with McGinn and Luiz. He’s slightly better than both for defensive actions (not much in it with Luiz) but worse than both in all other areas including pass completion %. 

If Deano wants him then fair enough, but why is a different question. 

Try the same against Ramsey and Hourihane and that might make it clearer.

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Try the same against Ramsey and Hourihane and that might make it clearer.

Fair. I was hoping we'd add something in midfield that pushed McGinn and Luiz further down the pecking order, not propped them up. 

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

Some people would probably hate that, but I'd be on board with this.

He’d more useful off the field than on it, if he could take over JT’s responsibilities like analysis of the opposition, helping coach the defenders, assisting Dean. We could offer him the same opportunity as we did Terry and he might stick around longer…

He brings a similar sort of leadership, inspiration, experience and is capable of filling in at CB when required. Did ok at Palace…

Just a suggestion, not necessarily my favoured option. But we have more than one gap to fill now and if we can spend more on midfield and forward areas for now, seems like a good idea…

• Like 1

Just now, Awol said:

Fair. I was hoping we'd add something in midfield that pushed McGinn and Luiz further down the pecking order, not propped them up. 

Yeah me too, if this is true he's not an inspiring signing, but he might strengthen the options there overall. Depends how much stock the coaches are putting in the current players abilities to further improve.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

He’d more useful off the field than on it, if he could take over JT’s responsibilities like analysis of the opposition, helping coach the defenders, assisting Dean. We could offer him the same opportunity as we did Terry and he might stick around longer…

He brings a similar sort of leadership, inspiration, experience and is capable of filling in at CB when required. Did ok at Palace…

Just a suggestion, not necessarily my favoured option. But we have more than one gap to fill now and if we can spend more on midfield and forward areas for now, seems like a good idea…

He's also a seasoned winner like JT and he played 20 league games last season, so should be up to speed enough to step in should Konsa be unavailable. I'd love us to sign a real up and coming player who's also ready to step in, but they cost alot, and like you've suggested, if it leaves more money to strengthen other areas, I think this deal would make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

I am not setting my expectations, very high this season, up to now, new signings could change that view.

mid table again, is my stab at it.

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

He's also a seasoned winner like JT and he played 20 league games last season, so should be up to speed enough to step in should Konsa be unavailable. I'd love us to sign a real up and coming player who's also ready to step in, but they cost alot, and like you've suggested, if it leaves more money to strengthen other areas, I think this deal would make a lot of sense.

For just a coach…

How about Laursen & Mellberg?

Youtube Eyebrows GIF by SoulPancake

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

It really would. He's free and we'd only need to use him every now and again over the next 12 months. It's the same with Ashley Young. They're both winners and their experience in and around the place will be invaluable. Of course, the most important thing is they free up spending in other positions. We desperately need a midfielder and a winger which combined are likely to cost 60-70m so any area where we can save a few quid, should be looked at. 

• Like 1

We won't be signing Will Huges to play as a DM, he's had half a good season there in the championship, if we sign a DM we will want some that's guaranteed to be better than what we already have.

He'd be signed as a box to box midfielder the position he's played most of his career and where he's played in the premier, which is why the move doesn't really make much sense to me as we already have McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey and Chukwueneka coming through

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I remember when Hughes was at Derby he was linked with us every single transfer window.

I'd like to think we have moved on and progressed as a club since then.

Were capable of landing bigger and better fish now.

• Like 1