Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

If we go into the season with Davis as back up to Ollie, we're asking for trouble. Davis is a great hold up.player, but not a striker. And he never will be.

Buy one. Loan one. But definitely get one.

Exactly, we can't just can't go into next season with just Watkins. 

Wesley and Davis are easy to shut out the game at prem level to point defenses won't even break a sweat on them. Watkins is a different story he is ace for us, but because we're a one man army in the CF position it makes setting up against us still way to easy. Opposition know who that we are automatically going to play Watkins each game because we have no one of note, trusting who Smith can have confidence in. Smith may think "hold on I need to just take Watkins out of this one or next few, because opposition are finding him abit to easy lately", but he can't do that becaus elook at the next in lines, not exactly inspiring or confidence to put Wesley or Davis in now is it.. We have to give opposition more than just Watkins or we will end up with a scenario like Grealish and how ineffective they could make him be by planting more than he could handle all game on him. With another trusted CF, teams may train all week for watkins but then it comes to game time and find out Smith has put the other CF on.

As it stand I feel apart from Watkins that we are flat in that area.

17 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

If we go into the season with Davis as back up to Ollie, we're asking for trouble. Davis is a great hold up.player, but not a striker. And he never will be.

Buy one. Loan one. But definitely get one.

Agreed. The problem we have is that neither Wes or Davis have similar qualities to Watkins. And Watkins is a vital part of the way we play. 

I'm not expecting us to sign a top quality back up striker like Tammy. But I would like someone with similar attributes to Watkins.

Relying on Wes or Davis for an extended period will really damage us IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Agreed. The problem we have is that neither Wes or Davis have similar qualities to Watkins. And Watkins is a vital part of the way we play. 

I'm not expecting us to sign a top quality back up striker like Tammy. But I would like someone with similar attributes to Watkins.

The fact neither player is really similar to Watkins is another reason why the links to Alvarez make a lot of sense. If we could bring him in as well as Bailey then you have viable alternatives for Ollie's spot without changing the entire structure of the team and playing style. This is why Davis and Wesley probably both need loans, as when they do play, no matter how good or bad they may be, they just don't fit the style of play we are now using.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I see some would prefer McNeil over Bailey, it's a bad mad considering McNeil only plays the LW and LM positions but bailey can Cover LW,RW and CF. I do like McNeil, he's a quick one but if we're not going for Bailey I would much prefer us to bring Pereira in who can also cover LW,RW and attacking Midfield.

It's a tough call if we are not going for Bailey that who out of McNeil or Pereira would I prefer as I like both players. I just think Pereira may nick it on versatility, we have more options available and we would need another winger for the right if Buendia is going to play as CAM and Jack left. Pereira could be brought in for an attacking midfield role anyway. He's a nippy little bugger who's got good passing and does for West brom what Jack does for our lads because he seems to be a motivational player where other players rally to him. 

I think we have options with Pereira

Grealish-Pereira-Buendia

Buendia-Grealish-Pereira

Watkins

Grealish-Pereira-Traore

Buendia

Luiz/Nakamba

I don’t see any reason McNeil couldn’t play the same positions as Pereira.

He’s actually left footed - so would probably play RW in our setup. He also rotates pretty fluidly between LM/LW and  an attacking midfield position in the Burnley setup.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

its a really tough sell though. anyone that comes in knows that they're on the bench unless watkins gets injured. it's why i just cannot see us signing another striker. worst case traore can play up front. or jack, or emi. any of those 3 are better than davis or wesley

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree.

It may not be Tammy in the end and let's put Tammy out of this situation.

We just need someone who can be better than what we have currently and I think you made a massive point by stating that we need someone with the same attributes to Watkins.

I would much prefer we send Wesley on loan and sell Davis and bring Young and Barry on up than have to deal with Wesley and Davis all season next season. Wesley is still clearly reabilitating, healing and Davis has had his time at Villa he's just not good enough.

So yeah if we're not going to buy a CF then I'm afraid Wesley and Davis it's move on over lads and let Young and Barry in for some decent minutes in the upcoming season.

Never got why people seem so adverse to signing Hughes, seems like the perfect opportunity signing to me. 1 year left on his contract so likely available for sub £10m, done well in the Premier League before, regarded by Watford fans as one of their best midfielders, and likely happy to play a bench/rotation role for us, it just seems like the perfect depth signing that could allows us to spend big elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Have no problem with any unless it seems obvious bollocks like the JWP one where the author probably didn't even bother to check he'd signed 5 year extension last year before inventing the story

Like a scratched record......................

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes I’ll bet you £50 million because that is probably the difference between a good season and finishing in the European spots or an average even flirting with relegation season. That is the bet or risk we take without adequate cover for Ollie. 

I haven’t got £50m and I guess you haven’t either, but the club have and I’d bet that they wouldn’t  be willing to take that bet, because that would be at the very least reckless. 

You can’t really look at the £50M in isolation though - I think I’ve been through this before but it’s essentially a risk-cost benefit analysis.

What’s the impact of Ollie goes down? What’s the impact of Jack goes down? What’s the impact it Martinez goes down? What’s the benefits of a new player if we do have injuries vs if we don’t? Can the player still play in the starting 11 when everyone’s fit? What’s the benefit of improving overall squad depth vs improving positions of weakness? What is the likelihood of each of these occurring? Etc

Personally, I’m okay with going into the season at ST with what we have IF Smith and the team give it the tick of approval. I would also completely understand if a player like Alvarez was brought in as a cheapish backup who can cover in a number of positions.

11 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I don’t see any reason McNeil couldn’t play the same positions as Pereira.

He’s actually left footed - so would probably play RW in our setup. He also rotates pretty fluidly between LM/LW and  an attacking midfield position in the Burnley setup.

You maybe right and spose that would be down to Smith to see it'd be worth changing him or using him there.

I like the look of Pereira over McNeil it I did say very early on In the window that I wouldn't mind myself both in a Villa shirt.

This would also be a possiblity and I like the look of, how do you feel about this?

Watkins

Mcneil-Grealish-Pereira

Buendia

Nakamba/Luiz

Target-Mings-Konsa-Cash

Martinez

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dave-R said:

You maybe right and spose that would be down to Smith to see it'd be worth changing him or using him there.

I do le the loom of pereiy over McNeil it I didsayvery early on Inthe window that I wouldn't mind myself both in a Villa shirt.

This would also be a possiblity and I like the look of, how do you feel about this?

Watkins

Mcneil-Grealish-Pereira

Buendia

Nakamba/Luiz

Target-Mings-Konsa-Cash

Martinez

We'd have to score at least 3 times to win each game. 

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

its a really tough sell though. anyone that comes in knows that they're on the bench unless watkins gets injured. it's why i just cannot see us signing another striker. worst case traore can play up front. or jack, or emi. any of those 3 are better than davis or wesley

It is, similar to spurs struggling to have a decent back up. 

It's why I'd like someone like alvarez. Can play out wide as well, which gives more opportunities to be involved. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Never got why people seem so adverse to signing Hughes, seems like the perfect opportunity signing to me. 1 year left on his contract so likely available for sub £10m, done well in the Premier League before, regarded by Watford fans as one of their best midfielders, and likely happy to play a bench/rotation role for us, it just seems like the perfect depth signing that could allows us to spend big elsewhere.

I think the reason is that he is not better than what we have already so buying him simply adds to the squad rather than improving it. Before the window opened our only area that needed more depth was left back. With the arrival of Young we are now looking at improving the squad. Obviously Engels leaving leaves us short at centre back now too but Dean Smith said that it was an unexpected departure, not a planned one. I think most people feel that new backup squad players are not needed this season, just players better than what we already have. Buendia was an obvious upgrade, Bailey would also be. Yes members of the first team might get injured but we want our first XI to be top 7 quality as a priority, with backup for injuries and rest a secondary concern until then.

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I do le the loom of pereiy over McNeil it I didsayvery early on Inthe window that I wouldn't mind myself both in a Villa shirt.

Watkins

Mcneil-Grealish-Pereira

Buendia

Nakamba/Luiz

Target-Mings-Konsa-Cash

Martinez

I would hope we’d score lots of goals!

I think more realistically I’d like to see:

Watkins

Grealish-Buendia-McNeil 

Sanson/McGinn-Luiz/Nakamba

Target-Mings-Konsa-Cash

King Martinez

With a fairly fluid line behind Watkins and Traore rotating heavily through those spots too.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It is, similar to spurs struggling to have a decent back up. 

It's why I'd like someone like alvarez. Can play out wide as well, which gives more opportunities to be involved. 

i think someone like him is our best chance. someone who wants the opportunity to play in the PL but is OK with being backup

we have zero chance (IMO) in a proven PL striker coming in

• Like 1