Pre match thread

VillaChris

Big match now.

Last time we had this sort of defeat to West Ham two months back we bounced back with 3 wins and 2 draws from our next 5 so hopefully we do the same again.

Southampton remain below us in the congestion of mid table so at the risk of being told I have overinflated expectations this is a decent team we should be targeting finish above.

The little problem is we're pap v them. Made us look like a proper championship team in the two matches last season and while they hit a couple of wonder goals they were still 4-0 up v us at VP in what was probably our worst first half performance of the season. Think with Man. City, Southampton are only other team to beat us three times since we came back up

We always massively struggle to counter their pressing. IIRC Barkley was really sloppy v it and constantly gave the ball away at VP so his selection might be under threat as could Traore and a more workmanlike midfield is selected with Sanson and more likely Trez coming in.

We need a point from this to stay in top half. After a dodgy 20 minutes Arsenal ran out pretty comfortable winners v them so there are plenty of ways to counter and score goals. I think we might be entering a part of the season where we'll start leaking a few goals. Need to be sharper on set pieces as they executed a very good one v Arsenal in first 5 minutes and it was too easy for Vestegaard to score in the VP game although he's been injured last few weeks.

Anyway 2-2 and I'd be happy with that.

• Like 1

We need to perform against this lot for a change and get at least a draw, as people have said we have a poor record against them in recent times but this is where Smith earns his money, looks at how they play, and selects a team that can counter that.

Traore defensively is a concern and despite his goals recently I'm not sure if he should be on the bench. Barkley also looks to still be recovering his match fitness, maybe needs to be on the bench, but if he starts if he looks jaded take him off earlier.

One thing I notice about Smith is he makes subs far too late, usually after 80 mins. He has to stop doing that. He makes subs earlier in yesterday's game we get the result in my opinion, players like Barkley were knackered and this let Burnley back in the game. I'd actually rather 17 year old Barry on the bench over Davis, he couldn't score in a brothel. 

Next three games are important for how this season is going to go. Generally it's been a fine season and I'll still be very happy with a top half finish, but we've still managed to lose games we never in a million years should have lost - Burnley and West Ham the most obvious, but also to a lesser extent Brighton and Southampton. You do wonder how feasible it is to finish top half if we f*** up against Southampton, Spam and Arsenal - three teams in and around us.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

Hate playing Soton, they are a tricky team that always seems to get the best of us. As some of you have pointed out I hope we have learned our lessons from previous encounters and set up to deal with their intensity. We need to up the energy for this encounter and maybe set up to counter them. If we match their intensity then I believe it could end either way. I'm a little less confident about this one and I reckon a draw is on the cards.

Just having a feeling we will bounce back from Wednesday and get something here, I would stick with majority of the same team but maybe consider Trez over Traore and hopefully we have option of Sanson on the bench and will be interesting to wee if Walker-Peters and Romeu make it for them as that makes a difference - I would say form wise/position we are both probably in a similar position at the moment and both sets of fans will see this as a must win if you have ambitions of cracking the top 8.

3-2 Villa - Watkins/Grealish/Mings (Towering header!)

• Like 4

Surely it will  take Sanson time to get used to the system on the training ground before throwing him into the team, otherwise he could have some below par games and start having his abilities questioned by supporters.

I know it won't happen and we will probably start the same team as last night but I'd mix the midfield up and get some fresh legs in. Nakamba didn't put a foot wrong against Newcastle and although these are a much better side I think he can more than hold his own and get through the dirty work. Barkley has had a long time out and then a few games in a short space of time, so I'd have him on bench and bring him on in the last 30, hopefully fired up.  Trez on to give us a bit more protection to Cash, get him at full tilt for 60 then, as with Barkley, look to bringing on AEG or Bertrand. I think the starting eleven is a bit more conservative but I don't see that as a bad thing for this one. Let's be solid, hardworking, be at least 0-0 after 60 and not be 4-0 down, then push on for the win with fresh subs.   

Martinez

Cash        Konsa       Mings        Targett 

Nakamba       McGinn 

Ramsey 

Trez                 Watkins            Grealish 

Heaton, Hause, Engels, Samson, Luiz, Barkley, Davis, Traore, El Ghazi.

I’m sure they have Walker-Peters and Bertrand out injured as both missed the game against arsenal, both are a huge loss if they are

I think if we play like we did the 1st half last night we will win

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Our big bogey team.

They are everything we struggle against.

High press. High intensity. Don't give you a second on the ball.

yeah, its not our bag.

8 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

I’m sure they have Walker-Peters and Bertrand out injured as both missed the game against arsenal, both are a huge loss if they are

I think if we play like we did the 1st half last night we will win

what about the second half?

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Before the game I was not confident of getting anything at Burnley.

I am even less confident of getting anything against Southampton.

with what i saw after we went 1-2 up i don't know how that just goes away.

• Like 1