Pre match thread

VillaChris

5 hours ago, rbcuk said:

I’m sure they have Walker-Peters and Bertrand out injured as both missed the game against arsenal, both are a huge loss if they are

I think if we play like we did the 1st half last night we will win

Is Vestergaard back for this?

4 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah definitely, I saw some highlight vids but I’ve no idea what he plays like. At the very least he might get a few mins as a sub?

I hope he gets a run out 

• Like 1

Correct me if im wrong but we've not beaten these since they returned to the PL with Adkins ? I know we were out of it for 3 years. Just seems like they've been a really difficult team for us, home and away, last 10 years or since they came back up. Maybe i can't recall if we have beaten them though.

12 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Correct me if im wrong but we've not beaten these since they returned to the PL with Adkins ? I know we were out of it for 3 years. Just seems like they've been a really difficult team for us, home and away, last 10 years or since they came back up. Maybe i can't recall if we have beaten them though.

We beat them 1 - 0 at St Mary's. Pochettino was their manager and Delph got the winner. I think we had Lambert at the helm.

Thoroughly likeable team, Southampton. Like us they started bright but seem to have fizzled out in the past six weeks or so. I think I’m still a bit deflated from Wednesday’s loss so would take a point. Don’t think Barkley should start but confident he will. Think they may shuffle the pack with their injuries to contain our biggest threat in Grealish, which may enable others to get through their ranks. Their front line are misfiring at the moment so am expecting Ings to bag a brace to boost his confidence 😂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

We beat them 1 - 0 at St Mary's. Pochettino was their manager and Delph got the winner. I think we had Lambert at the helm.

It was 3-2. I was there 😀 Gabby, Kozak, Delph's first PL goal for us (screamer)

• Like 1

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Southampton are vying to beat Aston Villa in five successive league matches for the first time.
  • Villa are winless in nine games against Southampton in all competitions since a 3-2 triumph at St Mary's in December 2013 (D3, L6).

Southampton

• Southampton's solitary victory in seven league matches came at home to Liverpool on 4 January (D3, L3). They only scored three goals in those fixtures.
  • It's back-to-back defeats for the Saints, who last lost three league games in a row in November 2019.
  • Nonetheless, 29 points is Southampton's second-highest tally at the halfway stage of a Premier League season. They had 33 points in 2014-15.
  • A sixth home league win of the season would match their total for the whole of the previous campaign.
  • Saints also need one more Premier League clean sheet to equal the nine they kept last season. Six of their eight clean sheets in 2020-21 have come at St Mary's Stadium.
  • Shane Long has scored nine competitive goals against Aston Villa, more than versus any other club in his career.
  • Danny Ings has scored five Premier League goals versus Villa. It's his joint-best record against an opponent, alongside Everton.

Aston Villa

• Villa have gone four away league matches without a win, losing the past three and conceding at least twice in each defeat.
  • However, Dean Smith's side have already equalled last season's final tally of nine Premier League victories.
  • Regardless of Saturday's result, Aston Villa will have recorded their best points total at the halfway point of a Premier League season since 2009-10.
  • Jack Grealish has been directly involved in 14 goals in 18 league games in 2020-21, as many as in 36 appearances last season.
  • Ollie Watkins is looking to score in three consecutive league games for the first time since he did so with Brentford in August 2018.

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Nah 3-2, was midweek as watched it in a bar on Broad Street in those "normal" times. Was the infamous game we won with about 28% of possesion cue the debates on here in weeks afterwards of how we could be a good team with possesion stats like that......we then won once in next three months in typical Lambert fashion!

Gabby and Kozak also scored.

The 6-1 happened the next season down there which was beginning of the end for Sherwood so they're certainly a jinx team for us in last decade.

Kyle Walker-Peters may be out, which means there’s a chance Vallery could be up against Grealish, who will destroy him. Vestergaard is a big miss for their defence, but also for their attacks as he often starts them with his passes through the lines and Danny Ings hasn’t hit the same level of form as he did before he got injured/Covid. They’ve got a few others out injured or doubtful to play too.

They’ve still got quality and players that can hurt us, but this is a really good opportunity to get a rare win against Southampton. Just gotta hope we don’t give any daft free kicks away this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Nah 3-2, was midweek as watched it in a bar on Broad Street in those "normal" times. Was the infamous game we won with about 28% of possesion cue the debates on here in weeks afterwards of how we could be a good team with possesion stats like that......we then won once in next three months in typical Lambert fashion!

Gabby and Kozak also scored.

The 6-1 happened the next season down there which was beginning of the end for Sherwood so they're certainly a jinx team for us in last decade.

I was at this game. Gabby scored a goal I'm yet to see Jack even attempt and Delph score a goal that McGinn and Barkley would be proud of. 

One of my favourite away days that was, with the Villa fans banging the walls in the subway on route to the ground, singing oh when the villa. Great memories.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I was at this game. Gabby scored a goal I'm yet to see Jack even attempt and Delph score a goal that McGinn and Barkley would be proud of. 

One of my favourite away days that was, with the Villa fans banging the walls in the subway on route to the ground, singing oh when the villa. Great memories.

one memory for me was the 6-1 game were there was a load of trouble after with blokes pissed up in fancy dress, remember the Pink Panther slugging it out with Fred Flintstone in one of those surreal double take moments  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1