Pre match thread

VillaChris

Feels like a pivotal moment in our season. Win and aim for top 8, lose and perhaps settle for 10th-14th. Maybe overreacting but that Burnley loss was a real kick in the teeth. 

Edited by Villa87

Saw this about the last game against them:

"When the teams last met, Southampton recorded a season’s low for touches, successful dribbles, crosses, corners, passes attempted and passes completed. They had four shots on target, an xG of 0.9, and won 4-3"

They're a definite bogey team!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Have to start collecting points again. Decent performances aren't enough.

Decent performances are how you get points. Otherwise it's back to the Dyche/Bruce trying to shithouse a win somehow style. No thanks.

• Like 1

Walker-Peters and Vestergaard due to be out apparently, margins are fine in this area of the table and those are the advantages we have to make the most of when we get them.

Think this should be a good game anyway, even taking off my Villa hat it's two of the more entertaining sides in the league. Similarly to when we somehow managed to conspire to lose to West Ham despite playing well I'd be confident in us bouncing back from the other night.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Decent performances are how you get points. Otherwise it's back to the Dyche/Bruce trying to shithouse a win somehow style. No thanks.

I'm happy with that, as long as they do turn into points. Now we're in a losing streak, Newcastle aside.

Edited by AVTuco

I'll be very disappointed if Barkely starts this one. Either El Ghazi, Trez or Sanson (if ready) in his place.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Traore on the bench as well.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

We should have won the first game but they scored 3 goals from a dead ball.

I have no doubt we are the better team, especially with their injuries.

Them scoring the way they did was a bit of a freak but we were disappointingly flat v them in first half and never really laid a glove until they eased off at 4-0 and then we saw their defence isn't that great.

Slow starts v them seems to be a common problem as we were 1-0 down at St Marys within 8 minutes and 3-0 down at VP within 49 minutes last season so we really need to be switched on and keep things tight.

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

Walker-Peters and Vestergaard due to be out apparently, margins are fine in this area of the table and those are the advantages we have to make the most of when we get them.

Think this should be a good game anyway, even taking off my Villa hat it's two of the more entertaining sides in the league. Similarly to when we somehow managed to conspire to lose to West Ham despite playing well I'd be confident in us bouncing back from the other night.

Vestergaard out, thats good news because I guarantee he would have scored against us. Not so bothered about the defensive side. 

They have had a similar season to us and also have similar form. However they have been quite unlucky with injures.

Normally I’d say a point would be an ok result but after losing to Burnley and with Southampton having 2-3 first team players missing, we should be winning this.

• Like 1

Don’t worry all I’ve put Ings as my fantasy football captain. 

I’m unsure about starting Barkley to be honest - he’s a player who expects to play and he does have undoubted quality. He just doesn’t put enough of a shift in for me. 

• Like 1