Pre match thread

VillaChris

11 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Jack and Targett need to keep their heads. Losing either for West Ham massively weakens us

I was thinking about this earlier and came to the (possibly insane) conclusion that Targett would be a bigger miss than Grealish for that one match. We could shuffle round our attacking options and throw El Ghazi back in to cover Jack and probably still be able to score but losing Targett would really unbalance and weaken our defence.  Let’s hope neither scenario occurs.

Just now, Lord Willard said:

In the last 11 games.

1 win 

3 draws 

7 losses 

Wow.... that’s not great is it...

that’s relegation form. That’s 21 points for a season.... 

this game is pretty big for the table position. 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Not just recent times.  We used to struggle in the 90s when we were good and they battling relegation.  Le Tiss would always score past us.

Was only early 90s. We were unbeaten v them in league home and away from Dec 1994 to Dec 1999. Won 4 straight years at the Dell in that period.

46 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Last 11 games head to head.

1 win 

3 draws 

7 losses 

Was the last win at St Mary’s when Delph scored a stunner? That was a great game. Remember being covered by fans from behind me, covering me 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I actually think I'd prefer us to play poorly and blag a flukey win for once. Just to redress the balance a bit. 

We have played well and lost so many times this season and we need to get a few results "grinded out" as it were.

This. It's about time we won a game despite not deserving to. 

There's not many games I'm going to be really worried about this season but tonight is definitely one of them. For whatever reason Southampton just batter us, no matter what. I genuinely haven't got the slightest bit of hope for this game.

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
              Luiz - McGinn
       Trez - Barkley - Grealish
                  Watkins

Trez in for me just to try and help against Saints press. I can't decide whether I want Barkley starting or not but I think Smith will keep him in. 

3-1 Saints.