• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 83)
    • Elmohamady (Barkley 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/01/21 at 23:59

Scratching my head trying to understand how we lost that, should have been 3 nil at half time. Bloody Pope is too good.

Considering we've had covid and now playing every few days, dont think we should be too disheartened by a bad result here or there, we are inevitably going to lose a few games. I'd much rather lose like this feeling hard done by than get battered by teams like we did last season, or lose by controversial refereeing decisions.

We are still a work in progress, and playing well.

Having said that some players are not doing as well as they could, Barkley McGinn and Mings need to perform better. However they don't have any competition, not serious competition.

I'm still delighted with the way this season is going and not going to let a freak result concern me.

• Like 3

I’m afraid I have to bring up Mings here. Gave the ball away badly straight to their player and was again mucking about with it resulting in a corner. Corner came over Mings was marking thin air and their player had a free run & header to score. Was also kind of responsible for Man U 1st goal by missing the ball and also a bit culpable for City’s 1st and as I remember Brighton’s 1st when again he inexplicably got in a mess and gave the ball straight to them resulting in their 1st too. Has to do better for me although I appreciate he has also saved us many times. 

Teams now know he has a mistake in him and are watching for it too. 

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

The kind of games that will see Grealish leave us. 

He isnt going anywhere.

Fee is too big now...just not going to happen and I dont think he would push because why would he sign a five year deal after barely surviving relegation>  I dont think anybody thought we'd be where we are and playing how we are playing in their wildest dreams.  Really bad result tonight but dont take away from the conversations we all had before the game and how we are enjoying the season and Jack is loving the way we are playing at the moment.

Burnley did exactly what they're good at second half, stifled us, caused us plenty of problems, got lucky. 

Our heavy pressing that's served us so well so far actually worked against us 2nd half. Starting to see why pep has reduced his pressing tactics this season, leaves you exposed to the likes of Burnley. 

Although on another night we're out of sight at half time. 

Just now, chappy said:

Absolute joke we’ve lost that. Haven’t been this angry after a loss for a long time. We were so much better than them it’s laughable. Need to quickly put it behind us and take this anger out on Soton.

I've been really angry over 3 losses already this month, all in the the north west. All games we played well in and deserved something from. 

This is the most annoying though. It was us that lost the game, we should have closed it out. Burnley couldn't believe their luck there.

The way we let that game swing in their favour after Mees goal was ridiculous. Mentality was lacking. They deserved nothing from the game but bullied their way to a burglary. Mings shouldnt have let them even get a corner, he lost too many battles. Barkley and Traore should have come off at 2-1, Smith should have seen earlier that Trezeguet could have covered Cash. So disappointing, especially after an incredible first half of top football that deserved so much more than a 1 goal lead.

Jack MOTM, truly awesome display again. That solo run was unreal. Sad we couldnt get to 32 points and put ourselves right up there. Table looks pony now. Massive game against a real bogey team now, somehow need to win that. Sanson straight in? Didnt think McGinn was great other than his ball to Watkins that should have been finished.

1 minute ago, villatillidie1980 said:

So frustrating. You have to think that making subs on the back of our second goal - we win that. 

Not with our bench it doesnt.  Our bench is too weak at the moment to see out games.  Trez and El Ghazi are luxury players....so really just Nakamba.  That's why we have brought Sanson I believe.

KiWasted so many good chances and defended terribly, despite playing reasonably well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mings and Cash are liabilities defensively and cost us so many goals.

I'd be prioritising a Mings replacement above all else.

I remain unconvinced by our forward options, Grealish aside.  So very wasteful in front of goal.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Not with our bench it doesnt.  Our bench is too weak at the moment to see out games.  Trez and El Ghazi are luxury players....so really just Nakamba.  That's why we have brought Sanson I believe.

I can’t disagree with that, but Cash was left exposed a number of times in that second half and I just wonder if Trez would have been able to disrupt their play more. 

Easy to say now I appreciate 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

That might be true but like an employee or a business within the year you reassess. It’s not really the point.

A  situation where we were top but lose the last 12 games in a row do finish tenth wouldn’t be a “we will take that”. 

This wasn’t a game against city or United, it was Burnely, who hardly every score and grind out 1-0 wins.

we’ve let three in against one of the lowest scoring sides in the league. 

If we go and pump Southampton 3-0 then it goes some way to addressing the balance as I think that’s a game we draw on paper, but at this point in the season we are 3 point behind where we should be. 

I would say 6 to 8 points behind where we should be

3 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

KiWasted so many good chances and defended terribly, despite playing reasonably well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mings and Cash are liabilities defensively and cost us so many goals.

I'd be prioritising a Mings replacement above all else.

I remain unconvinced by our forward options, Grealish aside.  So very wasteful in front of goal.

I thought Cash played well

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Trez is the hardest working player we have.  Far less luxury than Traore who offers next to nothing defensively.

Nakamba for Barkley and Trez for Traore would have made a huge difference.

• Like 2

I watched Liverpool-Burnley also, and for them to come away from the last two games with six points is a 1/100 scenario at best....

If we played Burnleys three goal scoring situations ten times over, I’m sure we would go home with a clean sheet seven or eight times. 

Gigantic fluke, so have some perspective. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I thought Cash played well

Going forward, I agree.  It may be that his defensive work is bad because Traore offers him no protection, but his defending was poor with Trez too who does a huge amount defensively.  Hes just not a very good defender.

Â