• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 83)
    • Elmohamady (Barkley 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/01/21 at 23:59

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Wow, Burnley are so awful. Anti-football indeed.

Thought Nakamba was unlucky to be dropped, guess sentiment played a part in bringing McGinn back.

However, we missed chances as it should have been 3-0 Villa at half-time so it's our fault.

Couple of points:

Mings needs to stop thinking he is Jack Grealish.

McGinn was so poor, caught in possession, slow and offered nothing at all apart from one decent pass to Watkins in the first-half.

I wish we had some of Burnley's character as we are a bit soft.

Points dropped against the likes of Burnley is why we probably will struggle to be too far higher than a current placing of tenth. Many would have taken that beginning of the season though.

We go again 😁 

Sentence highlighted has been a major problem for Villa over several seasons now. When you look at Villa through the middle there are no nasty buggers there. Too nice and too easily beaten up by more physical teams. I honestly don’t believe you can have Luiz and McGinn in the same midfield. You need a more physical midfielder especially with Mings and Konsa at the back who again are more ball playing CBs.

Hopefully Sanson will provide that physically in midfield while Villa may also need a more rugged CB and forward to push into those European places next season.

Balance of the team still isn’t quite right to succeed in the Premiership but another summer transfer window might put that right?

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Its what tells me he isn't the quality striker we need.

I'd push him out wide when Wesley returns or sign a new striker.  He's very wasteful.

Naturally I disagree. He's a very good striker who's improving. I just think there's a slight weakness there that not only he has.

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

No point in being able to turn on a display like the first half I’d we can’t convert it into a winning performance. Need more of a killer instinct up front.

As for defending, I am lost for words. We’ve conceded 21 goals this season. I wonder what proportion is from defensive bloopers?

Briny, I think 2 is enough to win a game handsomely, especially away.....but if you play like we did second half, you need Lewandowski up front.

our midfield can't keep the ball, they can't win the ball, they can't win headers, they just back off and retreat.....no wonder the defence is under pressure.

We lost that game in the air tonight in the main, our challenges are powder puff and subsequently teams like them, just power forward.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Its what tells me he isn't the quality striker we need.

I'd push him out wide when Wesley returns or sign a new striker.  He's very wasteful.

He's halfway to a 20 goal debut season. Ollie is fine. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

No point in being able to turn on a display like the first half I’d we can’t convert it into a winning performance. Need more of a killer instinct up front.

As for defending, I am lost for words. We’ve conceded 21 goals this season. I wonder what proportion is from defensive bloopers?

According to the usual top stays sites, none.  But I can think of more than a few off the top of my head...

And according to understat he is the 2nd most wasteful player in the league behind Maupay.

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yep. We were attempting to paint a masterpiece when what was needed was a bucket and a roller.

We have vulnerabilities in the basics, is our problem......we are so easy on the eye.....it is missed at times.....times like this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He's halfway to a 20 goal debut season. Ollie is fine. 

The stats disagree with you, and what i see game after game tells a different story.

Think back to the likes of Andy Cole.  Scored loads of goals, but needed 4 or 5 good chances to get there.  He got so many chances to score, he still scored loads, but with better application should have scored more.

And he's far from as good as cole

Edited by flashingqwerty

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Briny, I think 2 is enough to win a game handsomely, especially away.....but if you play like we did second half, you need Lewandowski up front.

our midfield can't keep the ball, they can't win the ball, they can't win headers, they just back off and retreat.....no wonder the defence is under pressure.

We lost that game in the air tonight in the main, our challenges are powder puff and subsequently teams like them, just power forward.

I think if we had been 3-0 up like we should have been after 45 minutes the second half would not have gone the way it did.

1 hour ago, sne said:

We lost to a team from the 80's. Really should not do that after having the lead twice.

Fair bit of bad luck but I hope the manager and players learns from this. 

Reactionary subs rather than proactive ones will hopefully be a thing of the past ones we get a better squad.

it would be no disgrace to lose to a couple of teams from the 80s (including us), but comparing today's Burnley to Division One teams of the 80s, is an insult to those teams of the 80s! 😉

13 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

As much as I despise Burnley, their anti-football and the way they almost intentionally injure the opponents, I feel this was a lesson to us, not to overplay, be sloppy and relax, but to work hard the full game, keep concentration and stay focused. Yes I'm looking at you Barkley.

If we turn to Burnley to give satisfaction to our frustration, we will never progress.

There was enough evidence in that second half to give rise to where we need to improve.....this wasn't the first time, we have fallen to this kind of approach from an opposing team, if we think its a one off, we are fooling ourselves.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

The stats disagree with you, and what i see game after game tells a different story.

Think back to the likes of Andy Cole.  Scored loads of goals, but needed 4 or 5 good chances to get there.  He got so many chances to score, he still scored loads, but with better application should have scored more.

And he's far from as good as cole

Ollie has 8 prem goals, 2 cup goals. 

10 total.

2 hours ago, jim said:

We were shite second half. 

I got a migraine and didn't pay any mind to the final twenty minutes. That's more frustrating and painful than the headache I've been nursing.

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I think if we had been 3-0 up like we should have been after 45 minutes the second half would not have gone the way it did.

I am not so sure about that, could be, but we can't keep relying on scoring 3 goals every game, especially away......we are very good offensively, but we are not Man City.

I think we allow teams to get back in to games too easily,Brighton,West Ham, Tonight, by our benevolence of letting them have possession, we give up possession too easily too and don't win it back regularly enough......it sets a scene of not fancying it.

Dyche could smell this and at half time, set about this aspect.....beat us at the things we don't like doing.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Ollie has 8 prem goals, 2 cup goals. 

10 total.

A lot of good those 2 cup goals did up tonight in the league.

The stats i quote are league only.

Ollie has a minus 4 actual to expected goals on understat in the league.

For context:

Bamford has +2

Callum Wilson +1

CalvertLewin +2

Zaha +3

In terms of ability, he's around these guys, but he's SO wasteful

Â