• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 83)
    • Elmohamady (Barkley 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/01/21 at 23:59

On 29/01/2021 at 00:56, TRO said:

No you can't fault the overall style.....we just have to tighten up in certain games.

Against Man City, we were much tighter.....its as if, the better the team the better we defend....against the lower teams, we seem to relax defensively.

I know you don't respond to my posts anymore Tro, but I have a theory on this...

The theory does sort of back up your early season concerns...

I think we have a lot of defenders/defensive minded players who read the game well. So, against the top sides when the ball is kept almost exclusively on the deck, we find it easier. The defenders read the game, intercept and put themselves in the right position. I have no stats to back me up, but we know stats can tell a lie. 

Now, against teams like Burnley and I'd put west ham in this bracket too, when they use an aerial threat and physical presence, we find it tougher. Now, I'm not saying we need to go out and buy a soucek (as good in the air he is, I think he is limited technically and wouldn't fit our style).

It's up to Smith, Terry and the rest of the coaching staff to find a way of rectifying this issue. I don't want us to change our style because it's bloody brilliant to watch. Everything has improved exponentially so I have no doubt that the improvements will be made where necessary!

Â