• Barkley
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 83)
    • Elmohamady (Barkley 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/01/21 at 23:59

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

A lot of good those 2 cup goals did up tonight in the league.

The stats i quote are league only.

Ollie has a minus 4 actual to expected goals on understat in the league.

For context:

Bamford has +2

Callum Wilson +1

CalvertLewin +2

Zaha +3

In terms of ability, he's around these guys, but he's SO wasteful

That doesn't tell the full tale though. VAR stole a few goals from him.

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

It'd be a fluke if it didn't happen so often.  I think in most games we have lost we have created more and better chances than the opposition. 

Thats not a fluke, its a pattern.

I agree us not taking our chances is a pattern, but conceding those three goals today was a total fluke. And scoring twice at Burnley will almost always get you three points. 

• Like 1

Midfield second half was non existent, creating nothing ( if Grealish is seen as midfield he is obviously excepted)  and offering little defensively causing the back four problems that they didn’t deal with very well tonight (Martinez for once contributed to this) I have already been told off this week for questioning that Barkley is ‘pure class’ but really are we willing to offer £30 million for him ? apart from some little flicks and the odd killer pass what else does he consistently offer, very little IMO.  McGinn has been disappointing, but is this because he is having to protect Barkley and therefore can’t focus on his own game ? We should have won tonight but we can’t blame Burnley for the way they play we have to be able to cope with it. Is Luiz also being compromised by Barkley’s inclusion?

Edited by smg
More thought

Very frustrating. I can't work out whether it's good or bad we only play them twice a season. We had enough chances to have won both games comfortably.

That said. Burnley do what Burnley do, very well. They stick to their task and made the most of Pope's excellent performance.

Lots of good stuff but some sloppy things we need to tighten up on. Jack's performance top class. Substitutions, we need to be more pro-active.  I know we don't have a huge squad but the reserves have shown they can do a job. I think Trez and Marvellous should have come on for Barkley & Traore as soon as we scored the second. I am not sure we can afford two luxury players when they are not 100%. 

I would think Trez will start the next game.  Definitely a chance for Sansom to play an important part in the rest of the season if he performs close to his reputation.

Certainly "one of those night". 

• Like 2

Mmmm, remember when we used to win games like Burnley did tonight, rode their luck then score with nearly every chance they had. Thoughts..... Pope was inspired, our first half performance was at times breathtaking. When they scored their second goal we showed signs of last season pre lock down form. To close out games we need players who can perform without the ball and in midfield we lack that ability........ Next.. UTV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

Very frustrating. I can't work out whether it's good or bad we only play them twice a season. We had enough chances to have won both games comfortably.

That said. Burnley do what Burnley do, very well. They stick to their task and made the most of Pope's excellent performance.

Lots of good stuff but some sloppy things we need to tighten up on. Jack's performance top class. Substitutions, we need to be more pro-active.  I know we don't have a huge squad but the reserves have shown they can do a job. I think Trez and Marvellous should have come on for Barkley & Traore as soon as we scored the second. I am not sure we can afford two luxury players when they are not 100%. 

I would think Trez will start the next game.  Definitely a chance for Sansom to play an important part in the rest of the season if he performs close to his reputation.

Certainly "one of those night". 

I totally agree with that.

I don't agree it was one of those nights, Brighton,West ham and Leeds was something similar......We allowed the initiative to be taken from us at half time and that was poor application, with resulted in poor defending.

We play some lovely football. Really enjoyable to watch and our results this season have reflected that.

However, our success has got us ahead of ourselves a bit. We must remember that our squad is still very young and our manager still inexperienced at this level. As such, our biggest issue showed itself: Our naivety.

This isn't the first poor result we have had despite having an overall good performance in a game:

• Brighton at home.
  • Southampton at home.
  • Leeds at home.
  • Burnley at - you guessed it - home.

In those games we have been undone by either overconfidence (Brighton), poor finishing (Burnley), poor attitude (goaded by Leeds) or poor game management (countless free kicks with Southampton).

Today was a mixture of overconfidence followed by frustration and poor game management.

In the case of the latter, it was simply the lack of subs. Burnley had used 3 by the 75th minute. We had none until the 82nd. At that point, they had scored 2 in about 5 minutes to win the game.

Sadly, you could see it coming. Traore was fading and McNeil finding space down our right. Dean should have responded to the fresh legs of Burnley's midfield - especially when up 2-1 - but failed to do so.

We are learning - but that one was hard to take. Must do better.

• Like 3

First time in a long time the new villa reminded me of the old villa. BUT you can see the huge progress. I would have loved to hear Dyches half time team talk because i reckon he ripped them to shreds and told them he was going to transfer list every single one of them ! 

Still love this new team and the skill within it but Deano needs to recognise he has to improve his game management. If someone is knackered after 60 mins then put on a replacement . We have by far the least number of changes to the starting 11 in the league and as romantic as it might seem to channel the 81 boys and their 14 players used , the game has moved on . 

I haven't gone through this thread, so maybe this was already mentioned...

Yes, we were wasteful at times, but we have to remember that Burnley has only once let in more than two goals in the league this season with Mee & Tarkowski as their CB pairing. Not only was that against Man City, but it was the only game where Pope wasn't playing. We say it all the time about Emi, that a great GK will win you extra points during the season. We should never have lost (defensive mistakes and tired legs led to our downfall), but at the same time Pope won them the points yesterday, otherwise we would have been so far out of sight that a few defensive slip-ups wouldn't have mattered for the end result. That's it. The same way Emi has already and will hopefully continue to win us points this season...it just happened to go against us this time around.

I am feeling better about that collapse yesterday. For two reasons:

1) we played amazing football at times. I was watching it in a hotel bar and neutrals were commenting specifically how good football we played.

2) I think that defensive collapse will go down as thunder on BMH. I have no doubts they will adress this and we will learn from it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kjøttbacken said:

I agree us not taking our chances is a pattern, but conceding those three goals today was a total fluke. And scoring twice at Burnley will almost always get you three points. 

That was not a fluke. Southampton, West Ham, Brighton, and now Burnley all defeat due to conceding sloppy goals. That is also a pattern!

• Thanks 1

I'm actually not as annoyed as I thought I'd be and I think I've worked out why:

Over the past 10 years or so, some of our best moments have been shithouse smash and grabs like the one Burnley carried out last night (the 3-2 against Man City where Weimann scored the winner is probably the best example), but even last year there were examples of it  - we had no right beating Norwich 1-0 on boxing day if we're being honest, they battered us that day.

But heres the thing. Now we're the ones on the receiving end of a shithouse smash and grab. It happens. We know, because we've dished plenty of them out. We're the ones on top in most games now, which means from time to time we'll be on the end of a freak loss like the one last night. 

I thought some of the football we played in the first half last night was exquisite, the best we've played all season IMO. You have to give credit to Dyche, they might play defensive, physical football, but he's miles away from the likes of Bruce, they looked a different team after half time. We still should have won, we didn't, it happens. I'm sure lessons will be learned and were still very much on for a top 8 finish, which all of us would've bitten your hand off for in the summer

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I'm actually not as annoyed as I thought I'd be and I think I've worked out why:

Over the past 10 years or so, some of our best moments have been shithouse smash and grabs like the one Burnley carried out last night (the 3-2 against Man City where Weimann scored the winner is probably the best example), but even last year there were examples of it  - we had no right beating Norwich 1-0 on boxing day if we're being honest, they battered us that day.

But heres the thing. Now we're the ones on the receiving end of a shithouse smash and grab. It happens. We know, because we've dished plenty of them out. We're the ones on top in most games now, which means from time to time we'll be on the end of a freak loss like the one last night. 

I thought some of the football we played in the first half last night was exquisite, the best we've played all season IMO. You have to give credit to Dyche, they might play defensive, physical football, but he's miles away from the likes of Bruce, they looked a different team after half time. We still should have won, we didn't, it happens. I'm sure lessons will be learned and were still very much on for a top 8 finish, which all of us would've bitten your hand off for in the summer

I hear you and you are right. However if we weren't so sloppy in those four matches we'd be in the top 4 with games in hand with eye on the champions league! It's feeling like a missed chance. The traditional top 6 are all looking beatable bar Citeh. We really could be looking at champions league football if we weren't this sloppy against teams the performances otherwise show we should have beaten easily. We won't get top 8 being this sloppy.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont get the hate for burnley. Ghey punished us for our woeful defending and shit finishing.

We have no one but ourselves to blame. Fair play to them 

I mean I don't really hate them, I just hate that we lost to them and couldn't beat them twice even though we racked up enough chances to win 5 games. It was a frustrating night for sure and an unusually crap performance defensively which goes against how we've played for most games. We have the second highest number of clean sheets in the league second only to Citeh and yet we let 3 in in 45 minutes against a team that barely scores? that was just too much man XD

Â