General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

The looking at the screen thing is also stupid, they should just tell the ref the decision rather than go through this farce of telling him he has but not really saying it.

Only if it’s genuinely borderline should they be asked to look at it again. If the decision was wrong just reverse it and crack on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Not sure that video is clear and conclusive enough.

Refs union will be on top of this.

It’s like being rude to a copper, whilst it’s not acceptable the copper would still be in the wrong to react physically.

The linesman has no defence here. The only question is if he’s banned or sacked.

How about only the captain, vice-captain and manager can say anything to the officials? No dissent allowed. 

In amateur basketball, the refs are gods. You can't say boo to them, at least that's how it was when I played some thirty years ago,

• Like 1

On 02/04/2023 at 22:21, ozvillafan said:

It's not a bad idea.

Handball in the box - accidental or not - means a foul. The only thing left is "Was this intentionally stopping a shot going in?". If so, penalty. If not, indirect free kick.

It's no less unlucky than the kind of handballs they are giving as penalties now (or not, in our case vs Bournemouth) and a little clearer on the punishment.

This is how I might do it

image.png.f66a02fbeb8b56cdcc32b430513f221f.png

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The late flagging for offside is so annoying. Forest had a couple yesterday that weren’t even close, but play ran on for quite a while until missed, then okay went all the back. 

They had a corner from an offside not given too and we've seen how that works this season

• Like 3

I've just watched MOTD and seen the Spurs Brighton game. I honestly think between the on field officials and VAR they got 5 big decisions wrong, three clear penalty claims and two disallowed goals, all in favour of Spurs.  It can only be either utter incompetence, in which case the officials should be fired,  or corruption in which case they should be fired and prosecuted.  quite unbelievable how Spurs managed to win that game.  the pen given against Newcastle was a joke as well.  I do wonder why football seems to be the only sport where there is so much controversy over video assisted decisions - Rugby and cricket seem able to consistently come to decisions that most agree are correct, but not the wonderful PGMOL.       

• Like 1

Just watching MOTD 2 and in the Brighton farce I forgot Fulham got yet again done by West Ham player handballing in build up to the goal.

Fulham are owed an apology aswell. Premier league can hide behind different phase of play but ultimately the hand meant Coufal could cross it in and the goal was scored five seconds later.

the point for me is, VAR is a great idea in principle.

It works in Rugby & Cricket, decisions are reviewed and....importantly.....the correct decisions are made (almost always).

What i dont get with VAR in football, is they seem unable to consistently make the correct decisions, its really mind boggling, how can you not make the right decisions when you can watch it frame by frame?

VAR "should" work just fine in football, the problem is, for whatever reason, or reasons, its incompetently implemented in football, and that putting it lightly, its so badly implemented it appears corrupt at times, its wacky tbh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

you missed a bit about position of arm/hand in relation to body and/or natural movement etc.

Yep it was intentional ... so it's a penalty right?    ;) 

I wanted to avoid all that nonsense [natural position]. There is a whole philosophical debate on what is natural. We won't go into intent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the point for me is, VAR is a great idea in principle.

It works in Rugby & Cricket, decisions are reviewed and....importantly.....the correct decisions are made (almost always).

What i dont get with VAR in football, is they seem unable to consistently make the correct decisions, its really mind boggling, how can you not make the right decisions when you can watch it frame by frame?

VAR "should" work just fine in football, the problem is, for whatever reason, or reasons, its incompetently implemented in football, and that putting it lightly, its so badly implemented it appears corrupt at times, its wacky tbh.

I think the difference in those sports is you get the refs acting as a team. The main ref ultimately has the final call but they’ll encourage and welcome the assistance input, take advice then make a decision. The refs in football have prioritised keeping the speed of the game high with quick fire decisions which inevitably leads to error.

I guess it all comes down to which side of the trade off you come down on. Personally I’d just like to hear what they’re saying to each other so we judge the bad refs for ourselves. Needs more accountability but I do think we’re moving that way. We’ve seen quite a few this season where they’ve apologised and admitted error which is something that never used to happen, you’d just get radio silence and then the ref in question wouldn’t be seen for a few weeks and you’d not know why.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Whilst it’s refs correcting other refs from the same department/organisation it will literally never change. 

But I don't get this. 

Refereeing IS a hard job. 

You're trying to view multiple. Things at the same time that are happening at 100 miles a hour. It's actually impossible really, they should just accept that mistakes are inevitably made and accept the technology will spot it. 

I repeat, it's the clear and obvious error is what's the (main) problem. **** that off and just say what you see. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

it's the clear and obvious error is what's the (main) problem. **** that off and just say what you see. 

That’s the good part, or should be. What my view is, is that the on field refs and linos get most decisions right. If they clearly and obviously get an important decision wrong, then VAR ought to be used to correct that. That’s it.  You still won’t get 100% perfect decisions, but clear injustices ought mostly to be corrected.

What we have currently is that we’ve progressed from overly meddlesome VARing getting involved in far too much and overruling the on field refs, to VAR picking up a decent chunk of howlers, but unfortunately still missing things they really shouldn’t miss, due to apparent sloppy monitoring by the VAR teams.

It is significantly better than it was, but the standard is below where it should be, due mainly now to bad errors by the VAR officials in several games.

I agree that the fans in the ground and the TV viewers should be able to hear or see the process being gone through, because that daylight shone on it will naturally clean out some of the errors. What it can’t do is fix problems where neither the ref nor the VAR see an offence and nor can it fix interpretation, like where the ref thinks it is/isn’t a penalty because the forward has dived at the slightest contact, or the defender has maybe got the slightest touch on the ball as they bring the forward down.

With the Brighton penalty yesterday I bet the ref thought it could have been a pen but decided it leave it knowing that VAR would pick it up if it was wrong.

Without VAR I reckon he gives that pen.

Short answer: VAR is making things worse.

16 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

This is how I might do it

image.png.f66a02fbeb8b56cdcc32b430513f221f.png

Ah the old indirect free kicks, I do kind of miss them actually. Remember in the 90s when you used to have 9 players on the goal line, and the attacking team would just leather it as hard as possible to see if it would pinball in.

16 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

The late flagging for offside is so annoying. Forest had a couple yesterday that weren’t even close, but play ran on for quite a while until missed, then okay went all the back. 

There's absolutely no way they're adding all the time on for the late flags and VAR rulings either.

• Like 1

Â