General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

On 22/04/2023 at 17:57, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

being afraid to send off the most high profile has been out there.

I'm surprised by that given how he sent off Buffon in the champions league game

How was Sam Johnston not sent off for that penalty he gave away at the end of their game with Wolves?

It was a reckless challenge, off the ground with his foot going over the top of the ball, add to that the fact that it was a goal scoring opportunity and he’s clearly the last man - it just beggars belief.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How was Sam Johnston not sent off for that penalty he gave away at the end of their game with Wolves?

It was a reckless challenge, off the ground with his foot going over the top of the ball, add to that the fact that it was a goal scoring opportunity and he’s clearly the last man - it just beggars belief.

I might be incorrect but isn't there a double jeopardy rule for Goalkeepers? If its a pen there's no red card etc.

18 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I might be incorrect but isn't there a double jeopardy rule for Goalkeepers? If its a pen there's no red card etc.

The rule is for everyone, can't be a red card if theres a genuine attempt to play the ball

Take someone out off the ball cynically then it's a penalty and a red

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Maybe so but when you add in that it was dangerous play surely it should have been a red, it was a horror tackle, had he connected with the wolves player it could easily have been a leg breaker 

That old man on ref watch says we should have had a penalty against Fulham. Looked to me like the defender got the ball but took the player clean out. Ref definitely didn't award it, leaving the decision up to VAR because he's a coward. Refs use VAR as a way to completely abdicate responsibility.

Remember that ref at the world cup who was advised to check the monitor but he was like nah I saw it. Play on. Imagine that happening in the Premier League

8 hours ago, May-Z said:

West Ham completely done over by VAR today. How that pen was ever confirmed I will never know. 

Ref gave it, high bar to overturn.

But yeah, it's just not a penalty.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Ref gave it, high bar to overturn.

But yeah, it's just not a penalty.

It's something I just can't get my head around. 

Out VAR system doesn't work if incorrect decision aren't sorted out because of the ref making the decision first. 

Im.still of the opinion that there shouldn't be a VAR official making a decision....the ref should always go over to the monitor himself to re-watch. At least it's only one person in charge then.

Just now, May-Z said:

It's something I just can't get my head around. 

Out VAR system doesn't work if incorrect decision aren't sorted out because of the ref making the decision first. 

Im.still of the opinion that there shouldn't be a VAR official making a decision....the ref should always go over to the monitor himself to re-watch. At least it's only one person in charge then.

But you’ve got that element of doubt in your head because someone has said “I think you might want to check that”.

The link I posted earlier in the thread is really interesting on the whole subject. 

VAR and refereeing just seems really unprofessionally run, amateur with some decisions.. If it were a company it would have lost the contract years ago. I'm sure this new guy (forgot his name too), will sort it out, but he's working mostly with a bunch of numpties. I bet it's head in hands after every weekend. For one VAR should be run by independent referees, not the same refs that have just **** up on the field the week before, this causes a clash of interests, not being able to tell your mate you have missed a blatant penalty.

I always think of Phil Dowd still refereeing before retiring of his own accord. He was blatantly overweight and unfit, surely would never have passed the fitness test, for me speaks volumes that its just jobs for the boys too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

VAR and refereeing just seems really unprofessionally run, amateur with some decisions.. If it were a company it would have lost the contract years ago. I'm sure this new guy (forgot his name too), will sort it out, but he's working mostly with a bunch of numpties. I bet it's head in hands after every weekend. For one VAR should be run by independent referees, not the same refs that have just **** up on the field the week before, this causes a clash of interests, not being able to tell your mate you have missed a blatant penalty.

I always think of Phil Dowd still refereeing before retiring of his own accord. He was blatantly overweight and unfit, surely would never have passed the fitness test, for me speaks volumes that its just jobs for the boys too.

Been saying it for years!

Why can't PGMOL or the PL or the FA ever get their head round that a 55 year old PE teacher is going to struggle to run round with world class athletes 20-30 years younger than them? It's common **** sense, it takes a team of how many coaches analysts medical people dieticians etc etc to put a footballer on the pitch? PGMOL give their guys a fitness first pass and put them on the same level, it's madness

They put way too much emphasis on experience but even then you have VAR, they could theoretically look to make the pitch ref younger and have the senior guy in the VAR room but they won't, they could have a team of several in the VAR room but they won't, they could have VAR experts who can't be a pitch ref but they won't

There's loads of stuff they could do but they're not interested, expecting nothing to change under Webb

It comes to something when FIFA organised it all so much better with teams from far flung corners of the world

Stand by my theory - they're not interested in fixing it because it adds drama and drama is good for the product in the world's most exciting league

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Been saying it for years!

Why can't PGMOL or the PL or the FA ever get their head round that a 55 year old PE teacher is going to struggle to run round with world class athletes 20-30 years younger than them? It's common **** sense, it takes a team of how many coaches analysts medical people dieticians etc etc to put a footballer on the pitch? PGMOL give their guys a fitness first pass and put them on the same level, it's madness

They put way too much emphasis on experience but even then you have VAR, they could theoretically look to make the pitch ref younger and have the senior guy in the VAR room but they won't, they could have a team of several in the VAR room but they won't, they could have VAR experts who can't be a pitch ref but they won't

There's loads of stuff they could do but they're not interested, expecting nothing to change under Webb

It comes to something when FIFA organised it all so much better with teams from far flung corners of the world

Stand by my theory - they're not interested in fixing it because it adds drama and drama is good for the product in the world's most exciting league

Always remember a ex pro ref coming out and saying the fitness test is so hard, women may not be strong or fit enough to pass it. Not only is that comment out of order, if a chubby Phil Dowd and old man Mike Dean can pass the test and ref a game, I'm more than sure a 20-25 year old women could piss all over it. 

Another huge **** up. If that wasn't a red card for Jota in the Liverpool, Tottenham game high boot, I'm not sure what is. Big cut on his head, ref don't call it neither do VAR, something going on surely, they can'r be this poor. Ended up with the winner too, I'd be gutted if that was us.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Another huge **** up. If that wasn't a red card for Jota in the Liverpool, Tottenham game high boot, I'm not sure what is. Big cut on his head, ref don't call it neither do VAR, something going on surely, they can'r be this poor. Ended up with the winner too, I'd be gutted if that was us.

Digne got kicked in the head against Brentford, drawing blood and it wasnt even a foul. If it's not in the penalty area, refs aren't interested.

• Like 1

Â