General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why is Robertson not been stood down while they investigate the situation

Why was Fernandes not banned or even investigated at all but Mitrovic got 8 games

You know the answer, why are you asking?

Crowding the ref has to stop. It don't happen in Rugby with those big burly dudes, so certainly shouldn't happen with the like of Fernandes. Ref can call over a captain if he needs, if not, it' a yellow straight away for running up in the refs face.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Why is Robertson not been stood down while they investigate the situation

I must have watched than 15 times and can't see why he'd get anything more than the yellow card that he received. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I must have watched than 15 times and can't see why he'd get anything more than the yellow card that he received. 

He walked over shouting in the guys face. Referees getting abused it was always going to happen that one snaps

What business did he have confronting the official

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He walked over shouting in the guys face

Exactly. Yellow card at most based on the last 30 years of refereeing in the PL

I agree it should be dealt with more harshly, but based on what happens in the league pretty much every weekend, he got a suitable punishment.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes it did, player crossed it for the goal. Anyway, is was so blatant ref should have called it.

Whilst I agree with you, the laws say it didn’t “directly” lead to a goal — the player who crossed it didn’t score. 

Feel sorry for the lino in the Liverpool game. He’s reacting to someone else encroaching aggressively on his personal space. Not a great reaction from him, but a very natural one. Robertson a clearing in the woods for acting like he’s been sucker punched.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Crowding the ref has to stop. It don't happen in Rugby with those big burly dudes, so certainly shouldn't happen with the like of Fernandes. Ref can call over a captain if he needs, if not, it' a yellow straight away for running up in the refs face.

Red cards for anyone who isn't the captain and/or player involved in the immediate incident.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Whilst I agree with you, the laws say it didn’t “directly” lead to a goal — the player who crossed it didn’t score. 

yep, thats the rule change, they've moved away from the phase of play stuff, now its just directly in the scoring of the goal, not sure if that means hand ball by the scorer who then takes a few more touches before scoring or just like the brighton goal at the weekend where it was the last thing the ball touched before going in

i don't mind it being the last thing the ball touched, no matter how inadvertent it doesn't count 

• Like 1

If someone got that close to you at a shopping centre you'd probably throw an elbow up in self defence as well. The complete lack of respect for referees in football has led to players thinking they can get away with stuff like that.

It's good that Robertson got a yellow, I don't think it's worth any more on either side. PGMOL need to come out and firmly tell players to respect the personal space of referees or start getting carded.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, a-k said:

Wow, for once common sense prevails in the FA

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65269502

Didn't agree it was an accident at the time, and I don't now. Players shouldn't get away with crowding and shouting at officials, but in what universe is throwing your elbow up to head height a reasonable reaction to someone getting close to you or being touched on the arm. He made no effort to apologise at the time either, which I think pretty much anyone would do if we accidentally hit someone in the face.

He's got away with that, and he shouldn't have. Not even a slap on the wrist, presumably because they were worried he'd chin them for it.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Didn't agree it was an accident at the time, and I don't now. Players shouldn't get away with crowding and shouting at officials, but in what universe is throwing your elbow up to head height a reasonable reaction to someone getting close to you or being touched on the arm. He made no effort to apologise at the time either, which I think pretty much anyone would do if we accidentally hit someone in the face.

He's got away with that, and he shouldn't have. Not even a slap on the wrist, presumably because they were worried he'd chin them for it.

Agreed. Didn't look accidental to me.

But they can't sack him if the PL allow players to assault officials and carry on their careers.  An 8 match ban would be fair (equal to Mitrovic), but then they're admitting he actually did assault him and due to difference in power between players and linos they'd be under pressure to sack him. The job becomes untenable. Much better for then to sweep it under the carpet. Robertson probably didn't get hurt and barely connected with so probably doesn't want it on his conscience that he was a complete prick to the official and then also ruined said officials life by getting him sacked for gross misconduct. 

They need to do more to protect the officials. Instant yellow card for confronting the ref or linos unless you're the captain. Captain to get a booking for any aggressive tone taken during confrontation. 

Red cards would stack up quickly when half a team gets booked for surrounding the ref.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Â