Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

Completely forgot about him 😅

My gripe with him is that he doesn't seem to have an attribute which stands out even though he seems decent at doing a bit of everything.

it's hard to tell what his role in a starting 11 would be, and how bringing him on as a sub could impact the game. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WooJung said:

Completely forgot about him 😅

My gripe with him is that he doesn't seem to have an attribute which stands out even though he seems decent at doing a bit of everything.

it's hard to tell what his role in a starting 11 would be, and how bringing him on as a sub could impact the game. 

A jack of all trades, master of none, better that than a master of one.

Look at Nakamba. As a destroyer he's brilliant, breaks up play as well as anyone I can think of. Once he has the ball though, he looks lost.

Then there's Doug, who always looks better in possession than out of it. Same with McGinn. Both have their moments defensively, but they excel going forward.

Plugging a player in the middle who is equally capable of both is no bad thing. The question will be whether he is good at them, or merely competent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I'm looking forward to seeing fully firing McGinn, Luiz, Sanson midfield 3 with Jack Watkins and Buendia ahead of them. 

Sanson will come good

Don’t think we could do with a new DM?

Let’s go n get his mate Boubacar…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t think we could do with a new DM?

Let’s go n get his mate Boubacar…

I know we've discussed before but I think Smith preferred setup is 2 #8s in double pivot behind a #10. If you have a #6 behind 2 #8s like Liverpool then there's no #10 but a false 9 in Firmino. The #6 we have is Nakamba and Smith used him sparingly

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I know we've discussed before but I think Smith preferred setup is 2 #8s in double pivot behind a #10. If you have a #6 behind 2 #8s like Liverpool then there's no #10 but a false 9 in Firmino. The #6 we have is Nakamba and Smith used him sparingly

Sure but we may change it up, from game to game too.

Tbh I am looking forward to a return to (better) form for Luiz (in particular), McGinn (hope he can get himself fully fit and sharp, less careless and sloppy in possession) and Sanson too.

I can’t wait to see what Morgan can bring to our team… there’s every chance he could displace McGinn or become the preference. Competition is healthy anyway.

And no, I don’t see any of them as an AM, you need a truly exceptional player in that position to be successful, imo at least.

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It certainly worked at the beginning of the season, to magnificent effect. Unfortunately, the Barkley project failed, a better and more reliable player in that position will massively benefit us.

26 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It certainly worked at the beginning of the season, to magnificent effect. Unfortunately, the Barkley project failed, a better and more reliable player in that position will massively benefit us.

Did it? It worked in like 3 games out of 7 or something before barley got injured. That's not magnificent especially when we got spanked in 2 of those games badly. 

28 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That aside considering we'll be without Luiz beginning of season because of Olympics I think and then later lose Nakamba to Afcon the Kamara player you mentioned would be ideal type signing covering DM and CB

• Like 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Did it? It worked in like 3 games out of 7 or something before barley got injured. That's not magnificent especially when we got spanked in 2 of those games badly. 

Well that’s what I was referring to, we were excellent while we had a decent or in form CAM in Barkley to link up with Jack and support Ollie. We outperformed and beat teams like Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester. We didn’t have that capability in the previous season, it was a massive improvement.

Ok we effed up against Leeds but that can happen…

Covid, injuries and loss of form heavily disrupted our season and progress… we weren’t the same when we returned from the outbreak and I would say that we had it the worst out of any other team. We would’ve finished somewhere in that top 6 had these circumstances not stalled or impacted us…

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That aside considering we'll be without Luiz beginning of season because of Olympics I think and then later lose Nakamba to Afcon the Kamara player you mentioned would be ideal type signing covering DM and CB

Absolutely, we need more strength and depth in midfield otherwise the loss or late return of those players will negatively impact us.

You mentioned him before me mate, on this occasion. 

We need to make a positive start to the season and try to rack up the wins, we have a decent run of fixtures to start off with… can’t leave ourselves short.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Absolutely, we need more strength and depth in midfield otherwise the loss or late return of those players will negatively impact us.

You mentioned him before me mate, on this occasion. 

We need to make a positive start to the season and try to rack up the wins, we have a decent run of fixtures to start off with… can’t leave ourselves short.

It must be someone else mentioned him. Thought was you

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Agree, but just to note we’ll also lose Traore then too - and Pape Sarr if that link progressed. Not a great summer for signing African internationals, or at least ones you’ll be relying on later in the season. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

It must be someone else mentioned him. Thought was you

We’ve discussed and brought him up before along with other names such as Zakaria, Herrera, Sangare, Thuram and a few others. There’s Pape Matar Sarr as well.

Was catching up on comments yesterday and noticed you and another guy mentioned him and discussed the fact that he’s not going to be extending his contract with Marseille. Shared some stats and comparisons.

We should really pounce on that situation and reunite him with Morgan.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Agree, but just to note we’ll also lose Traore then too - and Pape Sarr if that link progressed. Not a great summer for signing African internationals, or at least ones you’ll be relying on later in the season. 

All the more pleasing to be linked with extra forward players such as ESR and Alvarez, looks like we’re trying to build a strong squad but also a formidable first XI.

35 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Smith has said in a press conference that he prefers two 8's and a 6. His words not mine. As for having a false nine that's just how Liverpool work as they have Inside forwards (wide strikers) that look to break the offside trap and work the channels particularly when breaking.

If we play two 8's and 6 then our wide men will play as advanced playmakers. They will look to drift inside creating overloads, and would then look to find the the runners looking to break the lines. This needs a fast busy striker like Watkins to spearhead counter attacks and offer intelligent movement in and around the box. Then when trying to break teams down the overlapping runs of the fullbacks and 8's beyond the wingers makes marking almost impossible, and defending the space tough also. This is what I believe Smith is looking to do.

ESR would be the back up advanced playmaker if Jack or Buendia need to sit a game out, or require resting. You can't really play that system if Jack or Buendia is out and you only have Traore and El-Ghazi as back up. Then you have to change the playing style. If we are looking for a regular starter to complete a 3 behind the striker i believe a shadow striker (to play through the middle) type would be more appropriate, or a direct left winger. The other thing is all the top 6 sides traditionally look to have 3 quality creative attackers if play with 2 off the central striker, or 4 or 5 if they play 3 behind the central striker. Then one or 2 creative attackers of lesser quality as back ups / young developing players. 

I think if we sign a striker that can play wide and ESR or someone similar then we'll be playing a 3 behind the central striker. If we sign one or the other, we'll be playing 2. Unless we get a proven quality number 10 come in.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well that’s what I was referring to, we were excellent while we had a decent or in form CAM in Barkley to link up with Jack and support Ollie. We outperformed and beat teams like Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester. We didn’t have that capability in the previous season, it was a massive improvement.

Ok we effed up against Leeds but that can happen…

Covid, injuries and loss of form heavily disrupted our season and progress… we weren’t the same when we returned from the outbreak and I would say that we had it the worst out of any other team. We would’ve finished somewhere in that top 6 had these circumstances not stalled or impacted us…

We were playing barkley as an 8 during that period though. 

Â