VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Always seemed like a lovely bloke. 

First FA Cup final I remember was '87. Back when the FA Cup was probably at its most glorious best. 

Agree, seemed like quite a few clubs had a chance of winning it unlike the 3/4 that can these days.

33 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Agree, seemed like quite a few clubs had a chance of winning it unlike the 3/4 that can these days.

6 different winners in the last 10 years

6 different winners in the 10 years previous to that

8 different winners in those 20 years and three of those clubs are Leicester, Wigan and Portsmouth

The winners list isn't as varied as it used to be, I'll admit but it's also not as bad as you painted either.

Its the second tier clubs that win it the most, Arsenal and Chelsea 12 times between them in 20 years

In those 20 years there's been 15 different losing finalists and mostly aren't the same teams in the winning column

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

8 different winners in those 20 years and three of those clubs are Leicester, Wigan and Portsmouth

The winners list isn't as varied as it used to be, I'll admit but it's also not as bad as you painted either.

Its the second tier clubs that win it the most, Arsenal and Chelsea 12 times between them in 20 years

In those 20 years there's been 15 different losing finalists and mostly aren't the same teams in the winning column

Off topic sorry.

The 3/4 clubs that are going to win it over the next 10 years should employ you as a research and marketing assistant 🤪

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

As you’ve highlighted, the Arsenal - Chelsea combo is a large part of why it seems like there are fewer different winners (or finalists at least). Just had a look, since 92/93 at least one of them has reached the final 19 times out of 29 seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

As you’ve highlighted, the Arsenal - Chelsea combo is a large part of why it seems like there are fewer different winners (or finalists at least). Just had a look, since 92/93 at least one of them has reached the final 19 times out of 29 seasons.

There's an added bonus, that team that the BBC used to absolutely fawn over every year, Spurs, haven't reached the final for 30 years :crylaugh:

It's lost it's magic :mrgreen:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Ray Kennedy ex Liverpool and Arsenal player gone at 70 after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. 

Said on the radio he was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1984, which means he was struggling with that disease for a bit longer than I've been alive :o

Eileen Ash former England cricketer 110yrs old. 

There are a couple of videos of her in this BBC article. What an extraordinary women she was. 

A belated one, and not a name that will be instantly recognisable but Dublin born actor Gavan O'Herlihy died in the middle of September, aged 70.

Probably one of those who you see and you think “Ah where do I know him from?”. For whatever reason he was someone whose face I always found quite memorable, despite the lack of leading roles.

He was the original Chuck Cunningham from Happy Days (before his successor went up the stairs, never to return again).

He was also in Willow, Superman 3, Death Wish 3 and Never Say Never Again. 

5CB320D3-9CBD-4C3B-9F09-D4701C52AD66.thumb.jpeg.7ee3196ba86caa792f5fd6a618790d9c.jpeg

And for those who are wondering it, yes I ensured I arranged the pictures so Annette O’Toole can be seen looking great while O’Herlihy gets into it with Christopher Reeve.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, av1 said:

Eileen Ash former England cricketer 110yrs old. 

There are a couple of videos of her in this BBC article. What an extraordinary women she was. 

The thing that most surprised me about this was that there was a woman's national cricket team in the 30s.  For context, Eileen Ash retired from cricket over 2 decades before the English FA removed the ban on women playing on professional football pitches That's much more socially progressive than I'd expected cricket to be!

On 30/11/2021 at 19:20, bickster said:

There's an added bonus, that team that the BBC used to absolutely fawn over every year, Spurs, haven't reached the final for 30 years :crylaugh:

It's lost it's magic :mrgreen:

Probably because there’s not been a one in the year or something 

Bob Dole was an amazing guy.  He was blown up by an artillery shell in Italy during WW2.  He was left for dead by his owns medics.  He was eventually checked by another medic the following day and rescued.  He spent 4 years in hospital and was on the verge of death numerous times.  

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Look at all those spring chickens :D

I chose the Duke of Edinburgh the previous ten years! Why did I sub him out this year? :D 

• Haha 1