VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

Genuinely surprised you haven’t heard of the Angelic Upstarts.

Their name would have been scribbled on many a jean jacket back in the day.

Not my cup of tea, I couldn’t write the longest ever dissertation on them.

But I’ve heard of them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can’t be alone in saying “never heard of him or them “

Or , Is this going to end up going to the music thread where VT decides they are worthy of induction to the VT music hall of fame alongside The Fall for influencing all music on the planet ?

No, essentially, they were a shit third division punk band from Sunderland. Considered to be one of the originators of the Oi! Punk genre.

They might even win the prize for worst record in my collection for their 1982 album Sill From The Heart, which was a freebie and is only retained because it's THAT bad, it's amusing

You know those comedy punks with daft big spikey mohecan haircuts and leather jackets with studs and discharge written on their backs, well that was their fanbase

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I can’t be alone in saying “never heard of him or them “

Oh come on, really? I'm no big fan of the Angelic Upstarts (or any other second division punk band), but even I remember them. Part of that whole "Oi!"/Skinhead scene. "Who killed Liddle Towers", "I'm an Upstart", etc. I think they were even on TOTP. 

• Like 1

Nope , but then I guess I’d have been around 8 of the time of Liddle Towers and wasn’t really into The Skinhead scene .. music then would have been my parents record collection which was basically shit and limited to about 5 records 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Nope , but then I guess I’d have been around 8 of the time of Liddle Towers and wasn’t really into The Skinhead scene .. music then would have been my parents record collection which was basically shit and limited to about 5 records 

Cultural deprivation. 

#prayfortony 

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I've got some mates who knew Mensi really well. Reading some fb messages, and by all accounts he was a top bloke, and a committed antifascist. RIP 

Yeah they were always on the left, the original line-up were all coal miners who quit to take the band seriously

• Like 1

Riccardo Ehrman, Italian journalist aged 92 

Don't know anything about him if I'm honest but I do know the story of how he started the fall of the Berlin Wall... Its a fascinating 10-15 minute distraction if anyone is interested 

A few simple questions to an ill prepared east German government official and a few hours later the wall was gone 

bell hooks (she specifically used lower case letters to distinguish herself from her great grandmother who’s name she adopted) at 69. She was a really important feminist author and activist for the rights of black people especially in America. 

Her first book ‘Ain’t I a Woman’ is one I find myself recommending a lot, a sad loss :(

• Like 3
  • Sad 1