VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Robbie Shakespeare of Sly and Robbie has died. I am woefully under experienced to add anything more than that. 

Ah man that's a bugger.

Half of one hell of a rhythm section, ignore their hits, that isn't what they should be remembered for. They should be remembered for being pioneers both as musicians and producers

Robbie Shakespeare was literally a collosus of Jamaican music. He'd be on the same list as Bob Marley and Lee Perry. Above many others who've passed away in recent years

Sly and Robbie were the go-to guys for a rhythmn section for well over a decade before they broke free and became a pop act

Sad loss

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Time stamp please! 

I'm on the dance floor. I just had a quick look and definitely 1:47 - 1:49 :mrgreen:

On cleaner versions of the video (that one is awful) I can see myself a lot more. I can even attribute names to the feet shots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm on the dance floor. I just had a quick look and definitely 1:47 - 1:49 :mrgreen:

On cleaner versions of the video (that one is awful) I can see myself a lot more. I can even attribute names to the feet shots.

I had you pegged as the sailor at the bar or one of the transvestites.

• Like 1

Just now, il_serpente said:

I had you pegged as the sailor at the bar or one of the transvestites.

They are all in the film Letter to Brehznev. I wasn't :mrgreen:

Though it is the same club that was in the film, The State, a legendary Liverpool Club. I worked quite a few gigs there, a photo exists of me doing front stage security at a Voice of the Beehive gig. I look suitably bored and I'm smoking

There's another photo of me Djing on that stage a few years later. We ran the Thursday night for a couple of years

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Some of the musical shite @bickster has pulled me up on and now here we are with Bronski Beat?

tenor.gif

The song is awful but when you get offered £25, free pizza and as much beer as you want to piss about in a club one afternoon in 1985, you took the money and danced :mrgreen:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

They are all in the film Letter to Brehznev. I wasn't :mrgreen:

Though it is the same club that was in the film, The State, a legendary Liverpool Club. I worked quite a few gigs there, a photo exists of me doing front stage security at a Voice of the Beehive gig. I look suitably bored and I'm smoking

There's another photo of me Djing on that stage a few years later. We ran the Thursday night for a couple of years

What did Voice of The Beehive play in the remaining hour and twenty five odd minutes of their set? 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Wow, you sound like a real big city mover and shaker. 

And there was me thinking you were just a Smalltown Boy..... 

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think when another member of Bronski Beat died I outed myself as a fan. 

Seconded.

Dow Corning Social Club, the DJ played Bronski Beat and a whole bunch of Hi NRG.

Four of us were there every week, 20 or 30 old couples supping their drinks down one end of the room, 4 of us trying to dance Northern Soul to Hi NRG down the other end.

Blissful.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think when another member of Bronski Beat died I outed myself as a fan. 

They codified into the mainstream the roots of 80's dance (born in gays clubs) which turned into house.*

*(waiting for Bicks to tell me I'm completely wrong and should stick to trombone duets)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bronski Beat with Jimmy Somerville we’re a great electronic pop band. The next album with HTPBB as the lead single and the singer whose name I don’t think I ever knew were AWFUL

Smalltown Boy, Why? and that Marc Almond I Feel Love collaboration we’re brilliant 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bronski Beat with Jimmy Somerville we’re a great electronic pop band. The next album with HTPBB as the lead single and the singer whose name I don’t think I ever knew were AWFUL

Smalltown Boy, Why? and that Marc Almond I Feel Love collaboration we’re brilliant 

I liked their work with John as well in all honesty but the debut was the strongest of their albums. 

• Like 1