VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

F.W. de Klerk. Thought he'd died years ago, actually. He was clever enough to see how untenable Apartheid was by the 90s and brave enough to lead the transition to democracy. Did the right thing finally. 

57 minutes ago, maqroll said:

F.W. de Klerk. Thought he'd died years ago, actually. He was clever enough to see how untenable Apartheid was by the 90s and brave enough to lead the transition to democracy. Did the right thing finally. 

Apologised for it on his deathbed too

• Like 3

18 hours ago, maqroll said:

Bad timing, would surely have been in a shout for the Rangers job if he'd held on.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I saw Turbonegro a number of times and every time I questioned why I had seen them. On paper I should have loved them but they just didn't have the songs. 

I mean, I like them, but was never a massive fan. Never actually saw them live or even bought an album. Hank’s post-Turbo media persona certainly wasn’t my cup of tea, either. 

But man, Hank-era Turbonegro was significant as f***. 

• Like 1

First time I saw Turbonegro was at Roskilde in the mid 90's on one of the tent-scenes. Was absolute mayhem and fantastic and Hank was shooting fireworks from his ass crack on stage :).

They were fantastic live during a period and the 3 albums Ass Cobra (1996), Apocalypse Dudes (1998), Scandinavian Leather are iconic. Never been a part of the Turbo Jugend but have so many friends here in Karlstad who are. So much humor in the lyrics and they did more than probably anyone else apart from Rob Halford to make sure rockers are not homophobic.

Hank also did a very solid job as an actor portraying Dutch/Swedish singer Cornelis Vreeswijk in a movie about 10 years ago. Those two had a lot in common...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

David Longdon
17th June 1965 - 20th November 2021
Big Big Train are extremely saddened to announce the death of David Longdon this afternoon in hospital in Nottingham, UK at the age of 56 following an accident in the early hours of Friday morning. He is survived by his two daughters Amelia and Eloise, his mother Vera and his partner Sarah Ewing.

Sarah Ewing comments: “David and I were best friends, partners and soul mates and I am utterly devastated by his loss. He was a beautiful person and I feel so lucky to have known and loved him.” 

Greg Spawton comments: “We are absolutely stunned to lose David.  It is unspeakably cruel that a quirk of fate in the early hours of yesterday morning has deprived him and his loved ones of a happy future together and all of the opportunities, both personal and musical, that awaited him next year and beyond.”

David joined Big Big Train in 2009, immediately making a significant impact with that year’s The Underfall Yard album. He proceeded to record a further eight studio albums with the band, including the forthcoming Welcome To The Planet, as well as fronting the band for a series of highly acclaimed concerts from 2015 onwards. In addition last year he released an album with the late Judy Dyble under the name Dyble Longdon. On the day before his accident he had been in the studio working on a new solo album.

“David made a huge impact on my life both musically and personally,” Spawton continues. “I loved him like a brother and already feel his loss very deeply. He was a true creative visionary with extraordinary depth of talent. But above all he was a first rate and very kind man. His family, friends, BBT bandmates and crew will miss him terribly.”

The band’s Welcome To The Planet album remains scheduled for release on 28th January 2022. A further statement regarding the band’s 2022 concerts and other activities will follow in due course.

The band and their management request privacy for David’s family and friends at this extremely difficult time.

Facebook

I'm stunned by this. One of my favourite bands. 

• Sad 1

Billy Hinsche, 70.

Originally part of US boy band Dino Desi and  Billy, Hinsche became part of the Beach Boys family when Carl Wilson married his sister. 

He then joined the group as a touring band member for over thirty years. 

8 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

John Sillet 85.

Former Coventry manager, he and George Curtis (passed away this year too) worked wonders with that dump of a club.

Always seemed like a lovely bloke. 

First FA Cup final I remember was '87. Back when the FA Cup was probably at its most glorious best. 

• Like 2