VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

Interesting day. Heard a lot about his sexual peccadillos, a bit about his time as a racing driver and head of the FIA, but nothing about his time in his father's fascist movement or the 1958 Notting Hill riots.

Fun fact though, he was a victim of 'cancel culture' before his time:

E2MBZIsXMAA419o?format=jpg&name=large

I guess back in those days (1962-63), universities were allowed to disinvite absurd fascists from giving rabble-rousing speeches without anybody considering that 'the closing of the western mind' or any such shit. The good old days.

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Interesting day. Heard a lot about his sexual peccadillos, a bit about his time as a racing driver and head of the FIA, but nothing about his time in his father's fascist movement or the 1958 Notting Hill riots.

Fun fact though, he was a victim of 'cancel culture' before his time:

E2MBZIsXMAA419o?format=jpg&name=large

I guess back in those days (1962-63), universities were allowed to disinvite absurd fascists from giving rabble-rousing speeches without anybody considering that 'the closing of the western mind' or any such shit. The good old days.

Lots of mentions about him being a privacy campaigner yesterday, absolutely no mention of him being an actual Fascist

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Eric Carle author of the very hungry caterpillar has died. 

Bloody hell, that has to be one of the iconic books.

We got through multiple copies in multiple formats.

Salute to Eric Carle.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bloody hell, that has to be one of the iconic books.

We got through multiple copies in multiple formats.

Salute to Eric Carle.

My parents have a picture of me at 5 reading it and a copy is upstairs on my grandsons book shelf. My daughter owned it and my wife owned it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Freddy Marks, one third of (and I will let you guess which third) Rod, Jane and Freddy has died. 

I told my wife Freddy had died. Bearing in mind it could have been any of a hundred famous Freddies her first response was "of Rod, Jane and Freddy?" 

That ingrained in the subconscious not even Freddie Starr* or Freddie Flintoff gets a look in for a first thought. 

*Just seen he's dead already, must have missed that one! There have been so many in the last few years. 

Edited by sidcow

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I told my wife Freddy had died. Bearing in mind it could have been any of a hundred famous Freddies her first response was "of Rod, Jane and Freddy?" 

Must have been after my time and before my kids, because I've never heard of them. 

My mate was the drummer in a band and they used to do a cover version of the Rainbow theme tune just so he could do the drum roll at the beginning. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never seen Rainbow. I mean, I know about Bungle and Zippy, 'cos they're memes, but that's about it. 

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I just think it's equally hilarious and brilliant that you know Bungle and Zippy from memes @mjmooney. Made me proper laugh. 

They're bloody ubiquitous. Don't need to have ever seen the programme. 

I bet this is a common experience - we are all familiar with the kids' TV programmes from our own childhood, and then another era of them when/if we become parents, and a third set as grandparents. But in between those stages there can be loads of iconic programmes that we would be unlikely to see. Rainbow was a thing when I was a teen/twenties hence no interest. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

They're bloody ubiquitous. Don't need to have ever seen the programme. 

I bet this is a common experience - we are all familiar with the kids' TV programmes from our own childhood, and then another era of them when/if we become parents, and a third set as grandparents. But in between those stages there can be loads of iconic programmes that we would be unlikely to see. Rainbow was a thing when I was a teen/twenties hence no interest. 

My kids were into Teletubbies, Brum (in all fairness probably both repeats), Balamory, The Tweenies, Pepa Pig, Dora the Explorer, Ben 10 and just about In The Night Garden but only just. 

I am aware there has been a massive kids TV series in recent years as I've heard someone talking about it, but have no idea what it's called.  As you say that's probably it for me now until I get grandkids. 

I am also aware of older shows like Bill and Ben and Muffin the Mule but I never saw them. 

I did see a lot of repeats as a kid of some shows though like Joe 90, Champion The Wonder Horse, Fireball XL5, the old Flash Gordon's, Stingray etc that were originally watched by an older generation than me. 

Post War budgets were still probably very low in the 70s so there wouldn't be much money for new kids TV I suppose, lots of cheap animation around though like Mr Ben, Jamie and the Magic Torch and things like Bagpus with very little movements and big chunks of repeated scenes.  I guess Rainbow was pretty cheap to make too, just a few humans and puppeteers in one small studio. 

In the 80s you suddenly got many more brand new kids shows, still with cheap animation but just lots more of them. 

Apologies for going wildly off topic. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1