VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

9 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

My brain can’t compute that he was so old. Beethoven wasn’t too long ago was it?! 

He must be a bit of a Peter Pan. He was born in 1935 so was 57 when he made Beethoven. You would never believe that in a month of Sundays would you. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

Yeah he looked remarkably young in Beethoven, looks about 40. 

As others say, Midnight Run is fantastic. Only just rewatched it recently.

"You're ok, Jack. I think, under different circumstances, you and I...probably still would have hated each other."

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

He must be a bit of a Peter Pan. He was born in 1935 so was 57 when he made Beethoven. You would never believe that in a month of Sundays would you. 

Yeah there was a 27-year age gap between him and the actress who played his wife (Bonnie Hunt), she's not turned 60 yet.

They used to say it was the mark of an intellectual if you could hear the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger. Well it took me a while to realise that you lot were referring to a film about a dog, and not a German composer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Legendary Mangaka Kentaro Miura has passed away. 

For those unfamiliar with the name, he was the artist / author of the long running Manga series 'Berserk', which has spawned a number of anime and video games over the years. 

And I really do mean long running. It started being published monthly in 1989, but came to have a reputation for a very slow, and unpredictable release schedule. The final chapter was the 363rd, released on 22nd January 2021. The story was very much unfinished. 

It follows the, well perhaps not 'adventures', but tribulations of The Black Swordsman, Gutsu, or 'Guts'. It's steeped in a rich lore inspired by medieval times, with more than a hint of horror (it offered a lot of inspiration for this reason to the Dark Souls series of video games). 

For that reason it remains rather unique in the medium, but of equal importance to fans, was the artwork. 

Miura composed huge, impossibly detailed panels, some of which you could get lost in, such was their scope. It's because of that, that the fandom didn't mind going months at a time without any new material, or even a hint of whether the story would ever be concluded. 

It's unclear now if it ever will be.

Here's one of my favorite panels, just as a point of reference for what I'm talking about;

Spoiler

39573d71486b2b39b38ecc93631a3a82.jpg

Edited by hogso
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hogso said:

Legendary Mangaka Kentaro Miura has passed away. 

For those unfamiliar with the name, he was the artist / author of the long running Manga series 'Berserk', which has spawned a number of anime and video games over the years. 

And I really do mean long running. It started being published monthly in 1989, but came to have a reputation for a very slow, and unpredictable release schedule. The final chapter was the 363rd, released on 22nd January 2021. The story was very much unfinished. 

It follows the, well perhaps not 'adventures', but tribulations of The Black Swordsman, Gutsu, or 'Guts'. It's steeped in a rich lore inspired by medieval times, with more than a hint of horror (it offered a lot of inspiration for this reason to the Dark Souls series of video games). 

For that reason it remains rather unique in the medium, but of equal importance to fans, was the artwork. 

Miura composed huge, impossibly detailed panels, some of which you could get lost in, such was their scope. It's because of that, that the fandom didn't mind going months at a time without any new material, or even a hint of whether the story would ever be concluded. 

It's unclear now if it ever will be.

Here's one of my favorite panels, just as a point of reference for what I'm talking about;

Hide contents

39573d71486b2b39b38ecc93631a3a82.jpg

His art also heavily influenced 90's gaming. Characters like Cloud Strife and Dante from DMC were heavily influenced by Guts. Even modern games like Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XIV etc. RIP.

I watched the Berserk anime a few years ago but for some reason stopped at the penultimate episode. I'm going to give the manga a shot now. I also have the Dreamcast game Sword of the Berserk that I've been meaning to play that I'll fast track now.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

His art also heavily influenced 90's gaming. Characters like Cloud Strife and Dante from DMC were heavily influenced by Guts. Even modern games like Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XIV etc. RIP.

I watched the Berserk anime a few years ago but for some reason stopped at the penultimate episode. I'm going to give the manga a shot now. I also have the Dreamcast game Sword of the Berserk that I've been meaning to play that I'll fast track now.

I'm sorry, but, YOU STOPPED AT THE PENULTIMATE EPISODE?! 

Man oh man. Do you already know what happens in it? One of the most incredible 20 minutes of anime, nay, television ever produced. 

1 minute ago, hogso said:

I'm sorry, but, YOU STOPPED AT THE PENULTIMATE EPISODE?! 

Man oh man. Do you already know what happens in it? One of the most incredible 20 minutes of anime, nay, television ever produced. 

I don't, but the first episode kind of gives you a clue. I have no idea why I stopped, it was getting really good. I just never picked it up again. I'll give it another go for sure.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Such a nice Nazi pervert

All whilst 'sipping a cup of tea' if I recall the expose.  Very strange fetish (not the sipping tea part) 

Edited by Follyfoot